SASS Wire Forum

shotgun ammo

I dropped by the local Scheels today and noticed that there were shelves full of shotgun ammo.  A lot of Federal, some Winchester and some others.  There wasn't one brand that was less than 1,300 fps and there were a number at 1,450 and 1,500 fps.  While that may be all that is available from the manufacturers, it appears to me that the excess supply is due to the fact that not many people are buying those types of shells.  Of course, no primers or powder to be had.

we need to remember  cowboys are less than 1% of shotgun shells sold  if that  

for trap skeet and sporting clays  they want hotter shells and to make sure Auto loader cycle  I know AA low noise low recoil dont run my 1100s 

For my rifle and pistol ammoI have pulled bullets(jacketed)  and dumped hotter powders to install lighter cowboy bullets and light cowboy powder charges. It would cost more but is doable with shotgun shells also. Might have to buy wads. You would have new primed and reloadable hulls. This would cost more than factory ammo but could allow us to tailor the loads to our game as the most unavailable components seem to be primers, across the board. Better than not shooting.

Imis

2 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

for trap skeet and sporting clays  they want hotter shells and to make sure Auto loader cycle  I know AA low noise low recoil dont run my 1100s 

Winchester, Federal, Fiocchi, Rio, Herters and others all make low recoil shotgun shells.  Some are in the 900 to 1,050 fps range and are used extensively in Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet.   Shells with a velocity of 1,145 fps or 1,200 fps are nowhere to be found.  Hi velocity hunting rounds are in abundance here in a number of stores and remain on the shelves.

4 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I dropped by the local Scheels today and noticed that there were shelves full of shotgun ammo.  A lot of Federal, some Winchester and some others.  There wasn't one brand that was less than 1,300 fps and there were a number at 1,450 and 1,500 fps.  While that may be all that is available from the manufacturers, it appears to me that the excess supply is due to the fact that not many people are buying those types of shells.  Of course, no primers or powder to be had.

You're doing better than I am.  Unless one gets very lucky, the only shotguns shells I saw the last time I was at Cabela's here in CT was some 28 gauge and some steel shot.  Most of the skeet shooters I know prefer a load between 1180-1300 fps.

I am also hearing that some local gun stores send employees to stand in line  and when Cabela's opens, buy all the ammo, (in the common calibers) they are allowed and then the LGS re-sells the ammo at a significant mark up.

9 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

true , but these are not legal for ATA or most trap/skeet/sporting clays ranges , these are hunting loads - hopefully things will start to get better soon , 

I was asked how to open shells, I dont know but I wont rule it out as impossible. I may have to buy some and try it. If I am successful I will report it here.

Imis

Apparently, they sell everything that comes in the shipment in a few hours.
LAX Ammo here tells me the same thing, as does my LGS.
Merch arrives and a few hours later, all sold out.

9 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I was asked how to open shells, I dont know but I wont rule it out as impossible.

I have been known to cut around the top of a factory shell right at the peak of the star crimp, dump the existing load and reload the shell with a BP load and roll crimp the shell.  It works.  May not be the most cost effective way of doing things.... but since when do I do things the easy way?

9 shot for turkey ? your gonna be pickin a lot of tiny shot - i would be looking toward 4 shot if it were me , but then im so far from hunting them anymore - i can just trap one in the yard if i need it , 

Turkeys are generally shot in the head.      GW

Archived