SASS Wire Forum

Are Uberti 1873 buttstocks interchangeable?

David Cardin

I'm looking into getting my first rifle for SASS and it seems like they don't make the configuration I would prefer.  I would like a Uberti 1873 with a round barrel profile (carbine) and a pistol grip stock.  Do anyone know if a pistol grip stock is interchangeable with the straight stock that comes on carbine models?

Thanks,

Dave 

the problem there is not the stock it is the LEVER is different on a straight stock versus pistol grip stock

4 minutes ago, Yohan said:

the problem there is not the stock it is the LEVER is different on a straight stock versus pistol grip stock

And the curved lower tang, which is removable but it is the serialized part of the receiver so you can't just buy a new one.

edit: your best bet is to buy a pistol grip rifle and have the barrel changed to round.  It can be done by a gunsmith.  AD had it done.  It was VERY expensive.

So you get to choose barrel shape or pistol grip. The barrel shape wont change how you shoot the rifle, only your perception of the rifle in static mode, but your grip definitely will. Wish it was simpler but not on this rifle.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Have you thought of a Texas Brush Popper?  18.5" half round pistol grip.  Close enough?

CA2023-TxBrushPop-18-45LC-PG.jpg

Heck, I want one of those now:wub:

that is the same rifle both my wife and I shoot.

awesome little rifle

Thank you all for your responses and explanations.  Looking at the pictures I thought that might be the case but wanted to consult people more knowledgeable on the subject.  It looks like I will have a choice to make.

Just for completeness/interest... I have found I CAN interchange the buttstocks on my 2 73's (both straight grip) ...My 45 has a MUCH nicer leather butt cover lol.    YMMV..I am not sure they are meant to be swappable???

Archived