SASS Wire Forum

CMP 30.06 Warning Email

Pat Riot

Howdy,

I got an email with info from the CMP that you folks with Garands may know about this info, but a reminder doesn’t hurt. 

Screenshot of the important stuff:

B278D5A7-0F93-4C70-9545-3A6592AF7B0E.thumb.png.8a34d5a13b3e3906bdf5b5737f6e9eec.png

When I was very young and stupid, I bought an M1.  That wasn't the stupid part...but selling it later was.  In any event, I had some 180 gr hunting ammo in 30-06 and since I was out of the surplus ammo I had been shooting I took it to the range.  Seemed to shoot just fine.  After firing a clip and then scrounging around in the dirt for my brass (and the clip), I noticed that the primer has self ejected out of all 8 rounds.  There was an old guy (probably my age now)  that noticed I looked bewildered.  He explained the problem to me in a way that didn't make me feel too stupid.

I always load to M2 ball specs as close as possible. I’ve had my digits and eyes for some time and have become quite fond of them and my Garand.

When I first bought my Garand the gent at the store where I bought it explained the proper ammo to use in my Garand and I was always conscientious about it. I used to shoot Federal American Eagle and military surplus 30.06. I eventually converted it over to .308, but I still only load or use ammo within the Garand’s specifications. I love that rifle. It would break my heart to badly damage or destroy it. 

I have a feeling someone blew up a Garand and the CMP found out about it then sent out the email above. 

There are lots of new shooters that probably haven’t heard the news that we have in the past. 

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Did you get two?

I got one at 11:13 a.m. and another one at 1:09 p.m..

Same warning both times.

No, just once. 

On 4/21/2021 at 4:05 PM, Alpo said:

Did you get two?

I got one at 11:13 a.m. and another one at 1:09 p.m..

Same warning both times.

I got 2.  The second one said it was a correction but I didn't see the difference.  I'm glad yall are talking about it because I didn't know if it was really new.  It all looked like what I already knew unless the recommended pressure had changed. 

So to be clear, I'm still good with ammo that specifically says it's safe for garands, right? 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

So to be clear, I'm still good with ammo that specifically says it's safe for garands, right? 

Yes, the concern was higher pressure hunting loads. 

Archived