SASS Wire Forum

Short Sleeve Shirts

Snakebite

On 4/20/2021 at 12:14 PM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

You're gonna pick up and use hot firearms (with BP even hotter) and want to have them near your bare arms? Why?

Ever have a nice, hot piece of .45 Colt brass fall right into the crook of your elbow? Long sleeves for me!

Yup, I have a nice burn scar in the crook of my left elbow from a .38 sp BP case. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

I do agree that shooting Classic I'd like to be able to wear a straw hat during the hotter months. 

Just be the "good guy" and wear a white(ish) felt hat, best with big brim and high crown ;)

I've had brass fall in the crook of my arm and that don't bother me.  But I have 2 burns on my right arm right now from going to the range in short sleeves.  One looks suspiciously like a 308 empty and the other looks suspiciously like a 5.56 empty.  In both cases the empty landed on my upper arm, so I moved the arm to flick it off, but instead it just rolled under my arm and when I set it back down on the bench I got a nice tattoo.  Dunno why I can't remember to wear long sleeves to the range. 

At our shoots we have a summer dress code.  Folks can wear short sleeves, shorts, and tenny shoes if they want.  Whatever they think they need to beat the heat.  Better to have them come out than stay home.  I don't do that because like a couple have mentioned, I think the best way to beat the heat is to keep the sun off of my skin.  I have worn a kilt though and that was really nice. 

4 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Is there something that prevents folks from shooting in the Duelist category wearing a straw hat in the hotter months?

A sense of fashion?

Shorts sleeves is a slippery slope; next thing you know it'll be hawaiian shirts, crocs, and baseball caps......

Perhaps match directors are reluctant to strictly enforce the rules and risk losing paying customers?

Many of the clubs I'm aware of here in New England are lucky to get 30 people for a monthly match

4 hours ago, Joeronimo Caffiend said:

Shorts sleeves is a slippery slope; next thing you know it'll be hawaiian shirts, crocs, and baseball caps......

AND Shorts!

10 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Is there something that prevents folks from shooting in the Duelist category wearing a straw hat in the hotter months?

I sure hope not since I've been doing it for a decade. :D

On 4/20/2021 at 2:18 PM, Snakebite said:

We received our first RO class at the Air Force Base. 

I thought Quick Cal gave the first RO class in '99 or 2000 at Stampede

31 minutes ago, Jasper Agate said:

I thought Quick Cal gave the first RO class in '99 or 2000 at Stampede

Tim, My memory is of the first class being given to the Territorial Governors at Nellis as a part of it's approval by the TGs. It gave us all a chance to observe the class and to get some folks approved to teach the course. After that, folks that had completed the RO II course were approved to teach the RO I classes. That system was in place for a few years until I became the Chair. I changed that system by putting Regional ROs in place and requiring that ALL instructors resubmit and become certified by the ROC after they were monitored by a ROC member or designee. This enabled us to start with a clean slate and greatly increased the level of our training program.  

12 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Tim, My memory is of the first class being given to the Territorial Governors at Nellis as a part of it's approval by the TGs. It gave us all a chance to observe the class and to get some folks approved to teach the course. After that, folks that had completed the RO II course were approved to teach the RO I classes. That system was in place for a few years until I became the Chair. I changed that system by putting Regional ROs in place and requiring that ALL instructors resubmit and become certified by the ROC after they were monitored by a ROC member or designee. This enabled us to start with a clean slate and greatly increased the level of our training program.  

Hope you are well my friend!!

To the best of my recollection this was before you had R.O. 1 and R.O.2. I'm including a picture of the certificate and YES I was the Nevada City Kid in those days!!

Jasper

P.S. By the way you got to shoot with two of my OTHER favorite people at Fort Miller this year. Sand Dab and Hicks MTN Honey are some of the best!!!0422210646.thumb.jpg.b073080f8b4b9caec14dbf7b1e68b5f3.jpg

I heard the best way to beat the summer heat was to shoot may-august in 'stralia...

Ever see an Arab with short sleeves?  Long sleeves help retain moisture and prevent sunburn.  Even Lawrence of Arabia (left in photo) wore long sleeve shirts.

baab311a-9d93-4a8e-b0c9-c0ca1739c776_1400_722.jpg

On 4/21/2021 at 5:57 AM, McCandless said:

There's a reason that desert dwellers in other parts of the world traditionally wear full cover with lightweight fabrics.

The coats and vest they are wearing are wool, not so lightweight. According to that picture we can wear shorts!

3 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The coats and vest they are wearing are wool, not so lightweight. According to that picture we can wear shorts!

Diapers and a long shirt!  :lol:

Reading "clothing" posts provides a clear indicator of how many don't know the actual "Rules"

Hats are not required, palm or straw are allowed in any category except B and CC. If you wear a hat it doesn't have to be a Tom Mix Hollywood special. Kelpie's, bowlers, straw boater, bandana etc.

Jeans except designer jeans are good.

"Boots" are not required, bare foot, moccasins, brogans, sandal's etc.

Shirts, anything thats long sleeve. Button up the front button down collar dress shirt works.

No comment on the "costume" categories.

And yes kilts and loin clothes have been seen, unfortunately.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:04 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

Ariats, Levis 501, a Henley, and a good hat, add or remove thermals and wild rag as needed.  I won't win any costume contests, but well within the rules and low drag.

Captain Bill Burt has sexy legs........just saying for a friend !

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Ever see an Arab with short sleeves?  Long sleeves help retain moisture and prevent sunburn.  Even Lawrence of Arabia (left in photo) wore long sleeve shirts.

baab311a-9d93-4a8e-b0c9-c0ca1739c776_1400_722.jpg

Is that you Larsen E. Pettifogger,  with Lawrence of Arabia in 1914 ????

3 hours ago, T-Square said:

Is that you Larsen E. Pettifogger,  with Lawrence of Arabia in 1914 ????

Nope! That's @Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933's son!

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Handsome lad he is but not as distinguished as Lawrence.  I was somewhat disappointed in him.

You CAN wear a short sleeve shirt just make sure it’s covered by a long sleeve one, same with shorts. ;) :D

As far as dealing with heat it all starts with you. Wearing full battle rattle in the desert you learn fast. Hydrate not just the day of but a couple of days before. Good hydration tip: mix 50/50 Gatorade and water. For the day of: a wet cooling cloth around your neck and top of your head and continue to hydrate. We used to say if you’re not peeing your not drinking enough. 

11 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I sure hope not since I've been doing it for a decade. :D

And that's the point...If you want to shoot in a costume category, follow the rules. You don't want to wear the required costuming, there are 148 other categories to choose from.

23 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Not that I am aware of.

Goes back to 'Shadey Brady' style...and again  hats NOT required except for the 2 costume specific catagories.

Then again...your question's double speak could warrant the answer that green is the correct response!:huh:

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Not that I am aware of.

Goes back to 'Shadey Brady' style...and again  hats NOT required except for the 2 costume specific catagories.

Then again...your question's double speak could warrant the answer that green is the correct response!:huh:

Where does it speak on Duelist style having any specific wardrobe qualifications?

Only 2 costume specific catagories...

No hat reqirement in the other catagories.

Only 2 outlawed hats: SB's and ballcaps....

Why the question???

7 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Where does it speak on Duelist style having any specific wardrobe qualifications?

Only 2 costume specific catagories...

No hat reqirement in the other catagories.

Only 2 outlawed hats: SB's and ballcaps....

Why the question???

You have to read the post in its context to answer your own question...

My reply was to someone who opined that they thy shoot Classic Cowboy and would "like to be able to wear a straw hat during the hotter months."

My point was, "If you want to shoot in a costume category, follow the rules. You don't want to wear the required costuming, there are 148 other categories to choose from."

Specifically, if you want to shoot following all the regulations of Classic Cowboy, except wear a straw hat, the Duelist category is one of the options open to you. I say that because you're required to shoot in the Duelist or double duelist style in both categories, the Duelist category does not have any costuming restrictions in it. You are allowed to dress with the requirements of classic cowboy in the Duelist category if you so choose. And, there are no hat requirements in the Duelist category. So, you can wear that straw hat if you would like.

14 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

You have to read the post in its context to answer your own question...

My reply was to someone who opined that they thy shoot Classic Cowboy and would "like to be able to wear a straw hat during the hotter months."

My point was, "If you want to shoot in a costume category, follow the rules. You don't want to wear the required costuming, there are 148 other categories to choose from."

Specifically, if you want to shoot following all the regulations of Classic Cowboy, except wear a straw hat, the Duelist category is one of the options open to you. I say that because you're required to shoot in the Duelist or double duelist style in both categories, the Duelist category does not have any costuming restrictions in it. You are allowed to dress with the requirements of classic cowboy in the Duelist category if you so choose. And, there are no hat requirements in the Duelist category. So, you can wear that straw hat if you would like.

I agree with how you worded this.

This is plain and simple.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, polecat joe said:

It doesn't get much warmer anywhere else then down  here in south Florida and we abide by the dress code.

Exactly! And the humidity is as high as it can get without being submerged. I never even considered wearing short sleeves when I lived in S. Florida.

On 4/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

We used to say if you’re not peeing your not drinking enough. 

I've heard that too.  I've also heard more recently that if you're not peeing you're already dangerously behind on your water intake. 

Archived