SASS Wire Forum

Short Sleeve Shirts

Snakebite

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

No, I don't remember the year. Quick Cal was our committee chair.

Yep.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wonder how many pages this will go? :lol:

BTW, Wranglers are SASS legal, no requirement for hats or shoes.

Get'n the pop-corn ready :D

OLG 

...... page 2, so far ......

6 hours ago, Griff said:

If it's too hot to wear a long sleeve shirt, it's too hot to sit on the patio having a mint julip!  'Sides, nobody wants to see those hairy-azzed sticks you call arms!  

Snakebite, are you wanting someone to back you up on enforcing the rules?  I'll be right out, right after CARB relaxes their attitudes...:P

Griff, Is it ever too hot for a mint julip?  :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

I wish they would change the rule! Long sleeves and a hat in middle of hot summer. I probly will not shoot in the summer because of that. Why be uncomfortable? 

Shirley you joke? Whatever. I didn't wear a hat until my first sunburned part.:o

5 hours ago, Yohan said:

I roll my sleeves up even in the dead of winter when shooting Cowboy. Take my jacket of to shoot and put it back on in the winter but always have my sleeves rolled up to the crook of the elbow because I have been the recipient of HOT brass in the crook of the arm :-)  If you can't wear shorts well be like the rest of us Scot's and wear a Kilt woo hoo just do not ask me to bend over :-)

Just don't bend over. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

Oh! I wish i could wear shorts! I wear shorts in the winter too. Easier to get in and out of coveralls then with pants. 

I just bought some boots with horse hair on them. Wore them to restaurant  last night with shorts.  I looked cool! Men were jealous, women fainted, the wife was proud! 

Woo hoo! :D 

2 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

PW and I were thinking about it only a few days ago.  I was wondering when RO training started. Seems RO2 was later and we, the potential RO instructors, were hosted at a range outside of Vegas for our initial training.  I believe you was there.  I can not remember if it was while at the Frontier Summit or later at Summit during convention.  My TG beginning was for Texas Tenhorns and I went to Summit at Frontier, seems like around 2002, but not sure if even RO1 had started at that time.

I believe it was soon after I started shooting, 2000 or 2001. We had Quick Cal "come over the hill" and teach it. :wub:

1 hour ago, Nutmeg Ryder, SASS # 74966 said:

Griff, Is it ever too hot for a mint julip?  :ph34r:

Surely that must be a rhetorical question!   But, seein's as you're way up there  in "Yankee Land"  (Please note, I capitalized it, not a derogatory label)... of course not!

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... page 2, so far ......

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

oops

you did that on purpose!  :lol:

I just put on my fire retardant underwear, so I'm ready to be flamed.

We ignore/ modify the dress rules because it get hot, what rule 

Is next.  How about dropping the penalties for misses and a procedural  because they decrease our chances of winning.

No MS for an empty hull left in your shotgun/rifle/pistol cause an empty can't hurt anyone. (End of sarcasm)

My point is we follow all the rules, not just the we like or agree with.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Which part was that?

:ph34r:

HEAD.   Surely the Lady was talking about the part in her hair!  :P

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wonder how many pages this will go? :lol:

BTW, Wranglers are SASS legal, no requirement for hats or shoes.

Get'n the pop-corn ready :D

OLG 

im with you , these usually get a lot of responses - and there i go adding to it , 

Dang just dress as Injun' [ we need more !! ]...........most of the time I wear a singlet, which I think is your muscle shirt, I can go bare chested if I wish & have done so on a couple of stinkin' hot days but I'd rather wear the trinkets, actually I love dressing up,,yeah I know I'm a bit of a girl !!:D

NO' short sleeves, wear a longin' & roll up the sleeves.

I figure if someone can go about there daily business in the same clothes  as they shoot in..well lets just say they are not really  in to the Spirit of it ...but we are all different & jeans & a shirt are enogh for some folks..not having a dig , just sayin ' 

22 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Some of the clubs in Michigan, during the hot summer months, have a T-Shirt and shorts match, I think this works out well for everyone.

Same here in Ohio.

There's a reason that desert dwellers in other parts of the world traditionally wear full cover with lightweight fabrics.  But, if you got the legs for it, just wear a shirt with long tails and shoot without your pants...

geronimo-warrior-apache-indian-native-american-peter-nowell.thumb.jpg.55c2f4f55187f36955b5a03381b48a25.jpg

I've gone the route of camisole and bloomers in the summer, however hot brass chose not to be my friend and it didn't last long.  The hot sun can be unbearable.  It can "bake" you in a bay with a stone base and sunburn can come from all angles.  Sunblock combined with sweat would make my arms even stickier.  Hot brass that landed on the crook of my arm stuck fast.  I've had it go down my cleavage and also my back.  I have moved away from that attire completely.  I have some favorite lightweight shirts, pants and skirts.  The bandana I wear helps to wipe the sweat.  I sometimes soak it in cold water.  Between stages I can be seen putting water either in my hat or on my hat band.  I shoot Classic, and although straw is allowed for women, I picture that as the proper hat for a certain outfit.  I look like a ranch hand on a blistering hot day.  I wear the felt or wool hats, too - the wider the brim the better for both shade and to deflect brass.  I have cooling towels that I will wrap around my shoulders between stages when needed. 
Pennsylvania can have 90 degrees with 90% humidity.  It can be oppressive.  But we all feel the same way when out in it.  Posses move a little slower and we all watch out for each other.  Some will grab 4 or 5 bottles of water from any nearby cooler and stick them into the hands of other cowboys. 
You'd be surprise how much heat you can tolerate when you are prepared to battle it.  I know I was.  I also know when it's time for a time out. 
I won't criticize someone to their face for that short sleeved shirt.  However, the fact that it's black and made of a polyester blend, is not helping battle the heat.  Just sayin'.  I grew up baling hay.  I suppose I understand combatting the sun and heat a little better than some.

I once got 7 pieces of brass down my shirt when I didn't wear a hat. My back looked like a slide of bacteria under a microscope. I wore my sleeves rolled up once and wouldn't you know I got a hot one in the crook of my elbow? I used to wear those pants with buttons for suspenders, but I've been wearing $15 jeans instead of the $60 or so pants lately. A local club offered to let members wear shorts in the summer, but I wasn't going to fry my lily white legs in the sun for hours when it takes 10 minutes to burn.

My summer wear is a light colored and light weight shirt, jeans and a straw hat. If I was smart, I would probably carry a rag to cover my long guns at the loading table. An ice cube under the hat or dunking your straw hat can make quite a difference. Frozen neck wraps can help or an ice cube rubbed on your face and neck is wonderful.

I do think it is cruel to have rules requiring a felt hat in the summer. Some folks don't seem to break a sweat whatever the temperature, but I'm not one of them.

26 minutes ago, Go West said:

I do think it is cruel to have rules requiring a felt hat in the summer. Some folks don't seem to break a sweat whatever the temperature, but I'm not one of them.

Ain't heard of that one...Dumb!

2 hours ago, McCandless said:

There's a reason that desert dwellers in other parts of the world traditionally wear full cover with lightweight fabrics.  But, if you got the legs for it, just wear a shirt with long tails and shoot without your pants...

geronimo-warrior-apache-indian-native-american-peter-nowell.thumb.jpg.55c2f4f55187f36955b5a03381b48a25.jpg

Yep.  Granddad wore long sleeve flannel shirts with bib overalls year round.   I do suspect the long johns might have come off during the summer months.  

I can see a need for training on how to keep your cool in the heat.  Fluids are your friend... sweat is your friend.  If you're NOT sweating in the heat, you're at risk!

On 4/20/2021 at 6:52 PM, Hogleg Hunter said:

Why wear a shirt at all? If it's too hot go with Moccasins and a loin cloth.  :wub::wacko:

I've threatened this during the summer here in GA. I was told I'd shoot alone on my own posse

Would that be a 'clean' shoot? :P:o:lol::D

I'll go to my room now. :ph34r:

OLG 

11 hours ago, Go West said:

I once got 7 pieces of brass down my shirt when I didn't wear a hat. My back looked like a slide of bacteria under a microscope. I wore my sleeves rolled up once and wouldn't you know I got a hot one in the crook of my elbow? I used to wear those pants with buttons for suspenders, but I've been wearing $15 jeans instead of the $60 or so pants lately. A local club offered to let members wear shorts in the summer, but I wasn't going to fry my lily white legs in the sun for hours when it takes 10 minutes to burn.

My summer wear is a light colored and light weight shirt, jeans and a straw hat. If I was smart, I would probably carry a rag to cover my long guns at the loading table. An ice cube under the hat or dunking your straw hat can make quite a difference. Frozen neck wraps can help or an ice cube rubbed on your face and neck is wonderful.

No such rule about felt hat only. In fact, if you would read the rules. Hats are only required in a couple of categories 

OLG 

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Harts are only required in a couple of categories 

OLG 

So your saying most of us can be hartless? :D

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No such rule about felt hat only. In fact, if you would read the rules. Harts are only required in a couple of categories 

OLG 

Both B-Western and Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl require hats at all times and they cannot be straw or palm. SHB p 8-9.

I do agree that shooting Classic I'd like to be able to wear a straw hat during the hotter months. 

1 hour ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

I do agree that shooting Classic I'd like to be able to wear a straw hat during the hotter months

Is there something that prevents folks from shooting in the Duelist category wearing a straw hat in the hotter months?

Archived