SASS Wire Forum

Your dog's name

Alpo

I was listing my dogs, or at least the ones I could remember, in another thread, and noticed that many of them had the word DOG in their name. Bird Dog, Truck Dog, Big Brown Dog, Fat Mama's name was originally Sally before it morphed into Mama Dog and then into Fat Mama, and Worthless' full name is Worthless Yellow Dog.

Just got me to wondering how many other people use the term DOG as part of their dog's name?

And how many other people have their dogs' names change over time?

Bird Dog was originally Birdy, because of the shape of a marking between her shoulder blades. Truck Dog was originally Tucker. Duke was originally Da-nephew. Big Brown Dog was originally Ivy. Trouble didn't have a name for about 2 weeks, and then she told me what her name was. It was the same with Worthless. I called her Nameless for about a week and a half. Red was originally Snoopy, because of his markings, but I changed my mind and renamed him Red Baron.

Squeaker was named that because when my wife helped with his litter's birth, he sounded like a squeaky toy, plus, he was the runt of the litter. Sasha got hers just because I liked it. Chloe was already named when we picked her out at the county pound as a 7 month old pup.:blush:

All our four legged kids end up with multiple "middle names" and nicknames that evolve over the years.  Our youngest (only 17 months old) is Holly (she was born on Christmas Eve).  She ends up getting called everything and anything that has Holly in it.  Holly-bug, Holly-bear(y), Hollywood, Muhomad Holly, Holly Baba (and her 40 thieves), etc.

My dog now is Maddie. Her name became “Maddie” because when we first got her she growled and made a fuss when she was eating. She sounded like a “mad dog” do we named her Maddie. 

I had the Husky/ German Shepard mix that I named “Dog”. He thought everyone was his friend because everyone knew his name. :lol:

People  would say “What a cool dog” and he would run to them. He loved kids and would jump fences to go play with them. He could clear a 7’ fence with a 20’ running start. I saw him do it when there were kids in the apartment complex play area at the corporate apartments the company rented for us. 
He eventually ran away. We searched for him for months. Turns out he found a family of little boys and they kept him. I was happy that he was happy and not injured or worse. I couldn’t take him away from those kids. They loved him dearly. 

That was the only time I included the word “dog” in any of my dog’s names. 

My dog's name was Alex. He was a mix of Black Lab and Doberman.  I got him from animal control the day before Superbowl XXIII in 1989 featuring the 49ers vs the Bengals. I wanted to name him Joe after Joe Montana but my gal, ex now, said it rhymed too much with NO. We named him Alex instead after the dog in the Stroh's commercial that was popular at the time. It was the commercial where the guys were playing poker and they made the dog "Alex" go get them a beer. You hear Alex open the fridge and pop the cap off the beer....then start lapping the beer. The owner says "That better be your water". Anyway, that's how he got to be named Alex.

Now the dog part. I never called him Alex dog or black dog or anything like that. I only called him DOG when I wanted him to be completely obedient and heed what I told him to do. I stole that directly from John Wayne in the movie Big Jake (not the only thing I stole from that movie). It worked with him but then Alex was the absolute smartest dog I ever laid eyes on and the most loyal friend anyone could ever have. I miss him....a lot.

My dog, a seven pound Chihuahua mix ,was called Ethel when we got her at age 1 1/2.  Never called her that because I didn't want Lucy, Ricky and the other guy showing up.

Curly and Phylis Cole came for a visit and "Hey Dog" took off to bring a toy for Phylis to play with.  Phylis commented that she was "quite the little tornado" and Curly asked where we got that little trinket.  From that moment on she has been Trinket The Tornado.

Almost eight now and still as vibrant as then.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I wanted to name him Joe after Joe Montana but my gal, ex now, said it rhymed too much with NO.

Smart girl.

My brother had a bird dog. Somebody-or-other's Snowball of someplace-or-other. Called her Snow.

Never told her no. That would be confusing. He told her W'UP! That's WHOA UP! That meant no, that meant stop, that meant "what the hell you think you're doing you idiot dog?".

First dog's name was "Dog" being named after John Wayne's dog in Big Jake. Had to carry on the tradition with the second dog. He was a registered Old English Sheepdog. His registered name was Duke OGlouchestershire or DOG for short. Broke the tradition after that.

Childhood dog was Stinky then after getting out of college, married, and a serious bird hunter, I started raising Brittany Spaniels.  First one I named Duchess (Red River Duchess) then later kept one from a litter and named it Judy (have no reason why Judy).  Dogs are long gone and pretty much all the quail are gone in our area.

Our first was Fagin the Irish Setter, because we had just seen the musical “Oliver” and loved Ron Moody’s character.  Our second was Olivia the German Shepherd.  Dodger was the black Lab named for “the artful dodger”  again from “Oliver”.  Then a black cat named Charles Dickens, Charlie for short.

We broke tradition with “Book”, our current black cat,  named for Shepherd Book from “Firefly”.  If another dog happens, Mal, Wash, and Jayne are possibilities.

Our toy poodle came with the name April.  It's even on her papers from the breeder.   We didn't want to confuse her by trying to change her name. 

We have nicknamed her "Little Miss" for when we need to talk about her but don't want her to hear her name.   We did that as a take on "Young Miss" from the movie "Serenity, "  when the bounty hunter has caused some official to fall on the bounty hunter's sword. 

20200920_134427.jpg

Our GSD has blossomed out at 110 pounds. Amber Rose has become “Fat Dog” :D partly due to me not being able to walk her for 5 months now. We are getting ready to go at it again soon. 

Let me see... Starting from our first, Sophie and Rowan, both of whom are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge. Then we have Olive, Piper and Rosie. I'll see if I can track down some pics.

Never changed a dog's name, I had a collie named Shannon, a mutt named Buffy and another mutt named Sparky!

I also had two cats, Spock and Ayla, half brother and sister and proud incestuous parents of 4!:o

14 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

My little pup-pup has so many nicknames I'm not sure he knows his real name.  In fact I'm not sure I remember it.

DSC_0002.jpeg

I had a family of friends who had one of those they named Fang.

They are both gone now and little Fang died ten years ago.  She was a vicious little critter.  If you weren't careful she would lick and cuddle you to  death.

First dog was Skibow; I've no idea why, i was four.

Then there was Edgar Allen Pug; I blame the ex for the breed, but I came up with his name.

Last dog was Thurston Howl, III....2 years gone and my eyes still leak.

This is our 'Gullee boy....12 in May..just a name that was picked, BUT' not just a Dog, a great mate.

Definitely better than some so called  humans I've met  !!

20210403_155326.jpg

Never changed any names. Had a Shepherd named Duke and a Black Lab  named Magic.

35 years and counting...

(dogs) Sadie, Bonnie, Nanook, Zena, Gabrielle, Sally

(cat) Prissie

As the above passed we added...

(dogs) Woody, Buzz, Jessie

(cats) Rocket, Pepper

the cats and Jessie passed...Woody and Buzz been with us 9 years.

Yes, last 3 dogs (litter mates) were based on Toy Story and they were named based on sex/personalities.

All above were pound(shelter) rescues, found in the road, or walked by the house and they asked to stay.

RRR

It just occurred to me that this thread could be looking for answers to our secret questions.  I'm going to be very suspicious when Alpo starts a thread asking for the name of the street we grew up on.  Or will he go for the gusto and start one asking for our mom's maiden names? 

Our mongrel is laying on the floor beside me. Part Cocker and Blue Heeler.  Wants to be a cow dog.  Her given name is Nellie because when she was young she was very headstrong and wouldn't mind.  Mom called her Naughty Nellie after the Little House on the Prairie character.  I started calling her Dummy F*@# but was admonished to not do that as the grandkids might hear.  Mostly I call her Dummy.  Doesn't matter as she is 12 and mostly deaf.  Does respond to hand signals pretty well when she can see past her cataracts.  She has some fatty tumors and a few growths on her.   She snores like mad but defends the property with all she can bark at. As long as the deer run away she won't chase them anymore.  She has figured out she can't catch them.

Archived