SASS Wire Forum

New Member introduction and a "small" ask....Hope I have posted in proper section.

Byrd

Hello,

My name is Byrd.  I live in Coleman Falls, Va.  I have been enamored with all things "cowboy" for many years.  I am not in any SASS club and probably wont be able to do anything like that for several more years.  I am the father of two girls (7 and 10) and 1 son (12).  

As far as "cowboy'ish" type guns....I own a Marlin 336 in .30.30 caliber and I have a Henry .22 Lever gun.  I have on order a Uberti Peacemaker in .38/357 that will be Taylor Tuned (I only purchased one) and which should be in my possession within the next month or so.  I chose the .38/.357 because I already have the dies to reload that particular round.  

I have been looking at all the Youtube videos of cowboy experts shooting and it looks like so much fun.  I want to practice some on my own so in several years when I can actually join a club I will already be slightly better than a beginner.  

That said, I have been "lurking" on this forum for quite some time and thought today was as good a day to join as any.

I will mostly be quiet as I have very little of value to add but if anyone might need me for anything.....I will be around.

Now for my "ask".  Will anyone be kind enough to get me in touch with Mr. Widder?  I would like to talk to him about doing some work on my Henry .22

Thanks to all for providing this excellent resource to the masses.  

Respectfully,

Byrd

PS.  I am still figuring out how to navigate the site so if, for whatever reason, someone needs me there could be a delay in responding.......at least until I figure out where everything is.  

Welcome to the fray! I would suggest finding some clubs in your local area that you can "stalk" and just show up at the matches, ask questions and get to know the folks. SASS folks are great and will welcome newcomers with a good attitude. As you get closer to being ready to start, folks will most likely let you borrow to be able to get started. I started when I was active duty Air Force with 4 kids, so I know it can be done. Heck, after a bit some of my kids even joined me! Still have an 18 year old that shoots with me, but headed off to college in the fall. : (      Get out and meet folks, ask questions (there AND here) and have fun!

Welcome Cowboy!  Your Marlin in .30-.30 is too stout for this game, most (if not all) the Marlins you’ll see are the 1894. There are less expensive ways of getting into the game, don’t buy new race ready guns, buy used. Many times you can find a good buy right here in the classifieds. Also if you’re adventurous you can get cap and ball guns their cheaper than suppository pistols.  Many of us have homemade gun carts from old baby strollers and for clothes either used or modify some from Goodwill or Salvation Army.   Anyway you slice it you’ll have fun once you get out there.

Welcome aboard Pard!  

As other cowboys have mentioned above, find a club near you and give the Match Director a call.  You can find a list of VA clubs here: https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Virginia

Any club would be happy to have you show up, watch a match and help out with chores, then you can get a better idea what the game is all about, which is much better than watching tube videos. Most cowboys will also let you try out their shooting' irons so you can get and idea what may be best for you.  I try and shoot with the Rivanna Ranger Co. about once every other month, even though it's a bit of a drive for me.  Great club and Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme will take care you, give him a call.  If you decide to visit the Rivanna Ranger Co., please let me know.  If I'm there I can bring some extra gear and let you give this game a whirl.

Blue Ridge Regulators in Vesuvius looks to be not too far north of you.

https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_detail.php?Blue-Ridge-Regulators-929

Bedford Liberty Long Riders not too far away either.

https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_detail.php?Bedford-Liberty-Long-Riders-969

Welcome!

Go to your local club.

Get involved!

Meet folks.

Read your Shooters Handbook.

RO I and RO II books (printable/downloadable on SASSNET.COM)

Learn the rules.

Learn the requirements for the different catagories.

Now...at the local club...

You may not be ready to jump 'all in' but...

Help pick brass (take the kids, our club tips young brassers), pull/set targets, spot...ect.

Probably be asked to 'try' a few different guns...

But, don't wait years to get involved....

Enjoy!!!

Welcome.  Your experience loading .38 Special will serve you well.  Good choice of revolver, too.  You are one gun ahead of where I was when I started.

I put the shooting sports on the back burner for a few years when I was starting my career and starting a family.  Even if you are not able to participate fully and regularly in matches right now, it’s a wise first step to visit a local club to learn about the game and the folks who shoot it.  Your practice can be more realistic if you see the target sizes and distances firsthand.

Welcome!

Don't buy more gear until you have attended a couple of shoots. Trust me on this, you will eventually spend too much anyway.

Good thing you already have reloading experience, I need to learn to do it, and buy all the equipment to do so. Still, the investment will save money compared to buying cowboy rounds pre-loaded. Reloading is the only way I will be able to afford to shoot this sport.

Also go to Slater’s in house Guns.   
he does the trigger job on the Widder Soft Stroke.   
https://www.facebook.com/Slaters-In-House-Guns-969409439797458/

Don’t wait, either.  Your local club may let you shoot the 22 and be able to borrow the rest too.   Show up at their meetings and matches and you’ll find people selling guns and gear too to get you going.  

G'day,

rule one: 

Get Thee to a Club PRONTO !

rule two:

Buy Nothing more Until you have Completed Rule One

Welcome to the fun and get eye and ear protection for the kids .... (they won't like Dad having ALL the fun)

wbj

:)

rule three:

Try as many different firearms as you are offered;  and they WILL be offered .........

rule four:

Rules 2&3 also apply to leather goods, guncarts and hats ...... amongst all other things  ;)

wbj

:)

5 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Welcome!

Go to your local club.

Get involved!

Meet folks.

Read your Shooters Handbook.

RO I and RO II books (printable/downloadable on SASSNET.COM)

Learn the rules.

Learn the requirements for the different catagories.

Now...at the local club...

You may not be ready to jump 'all in' but...

Help pick brass (take the kids, our club tips young brassers), pull/set targets, spot...ect.

Probably be asked to 'try' a few different guns...

But, don't wait years to get involved....

Enjoy!!!

All of this! 

Widder’s phone number is in a post, search for his posts and it should come up.  He is very helpful in how to do things.  

in regards to the short stroke on a henry 22, it’s simply a small round piece of rod around 1/4” diameter, cut to about 1/4” (.250”) and it’s placed where the lever hits the frame at full extension.  I have done 2 by using delrin rod.  It needs to be removable as you can’t get the lever out with it in place.  I have considered trying to figure out where to drill a hole in the left side of the frame to allow the pin to be inserted and removed from the left side once the cover is off vs fishing it out with needle nose pliers. 

Lots of good info already stated.

Welcome!

For what it's worth, my 10 year old daughter ran a box-stock Henry Youth until she moved up to a Marlin... no problems.

I'm sure Widder's Majik is... magic, but don't get in a hurry. Unless the club you shoot at allows .22s for adults, it's not a legal main match rifle anyway.

Now, iffin ya get one a them young'uns out there with ya, THEN yer gonna need that slick Widder-tuned Henry. Get to it!

Welcome to the fire. You will love what Widder and Slater will do to your Henry. Get to a club and start trying the arms folks will readily loan you to try.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Welcome!  I attended my first match in December, I showed up with a single action .22, 2 cap and ball revolvers that didn't work and a double barrel.  I also brought along two friends, between them they had another .22 single action and another double barrel.  We had a hoot and a half!  Get thee to a Match and don't miss out on any more of the fun!

welcome , please listen to all the advise - even some of the offhanded comments have a good deal of value but it may not seem so till you have been around for a while , those "rules" for instance will save you a lot of money and frustration , 

when you go to the matches you will find most are very willing to help out and let you try things so you an make up your mind before you buy a bunch of expensive items that may not work for you , 

On 4/20/2021 at 1:14 PM, Bingo Montana said:

Welcome aboard Pard!  

As other cowboys have mentioned above, find a club near you and give the Match Director a call.  You can find a list of VA clubs here: https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Virginia

Any club would be happy to have you show up, watch a match and help out with chores, then you can get a better idea what the game is all about, which is much better than watching tube videos. Most cowboys will also let you try out their shooting' irons so you can get and idea what may be best for you.  I try and shoot with the Rivanna Ranger Co. about once every other month, even though it's a bit of a drive for me.  Great club and Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme will take care you, give him a call.  If you decide to visit the Rivanna Ranger Co., please let me know.  If I'm there I can bring some extra gear and let you give this game a whirl.

And now, I'm blushing. Thanks for the plug, Bingo.

Seriously Byrd, give me a call or send me email, and we can talk this newbie stuff through and get you feeling comfortable with the sport. Everything said here in this thread is spot on. Great sport......but, it only got that way by having great people.

Archived