SASS Wire Forum

Best brass picker

Buckshot Bob

I’ve seen video of allot of the people at sass matches using what I’ve seen called reachers or trash pickers to pick up brass . Is there a preferred model for this . It is one of the things I like least about shooting in the back yard . 

I have brass roller it works great for  9mm and larger 

22LRs  ok on concrete  gravel not that good 

after we shoot we now have pick up shotgun wads too so we all have regular pinch pickup sticks 

best brass picker I ever used was a large tarp.  Lay it on the ground and shoot from a position that lets the brass land on the tarp.  When done, fold it up and take it home to sort out the brass later.

Sure beats digging thru desert sand looking for those brass colored nuggets of gold marked 30 carbine!!

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A Boy Scout.

Unfortunately most young kids aren’t really interested in manual labor anymore. I was just looking for the mfg and model of one of the popular ones 

I've tried several and the ones with the rubber cups work the best.

This model doesn't fold but is longer than the folding version so you can reach further.

ArcMate EZ Reacher STANDARD Outdoor, Pro Reacher Grabber Pick Up Tool with Pistol Grip, Suction Cup Reacher,

When the cups wear out, replace them with silicone ones. 

EZ Reacher Silicone Replacement Cups, 6 Pair Pack

I'll cast my vote for the tarp, and have used it: .32 ACP brass turns invisible on gravel!
I had a Browning Hi-Power that would drop its brass in your hat if you knew where to set the hat. Very consistent. Everything else shucked hulls like a fat man spittin' watermelon seeds.

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Really, as long as I don't have to bend over in a corset...anything works!@@

I agree I hate when I have to bend over in my corset :ph34r: :huh:  Never mind :P :D

5 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I agree I hate when I have to bend over in my corset :ph34r: :huh:  Never mind :P :D

I can see there will be a lot of vodka in my near future as I try to erase that mental picture  :(:(:(

16 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’ve seen video of allot of the people at sass matches using what I’ve seen called reachers or trash pickers to pick up brass . Is there a preferred model for this . It is one of the things I like least about shooting in the back yard . 

I've seen folks using a rolling thing that is made for picking up pecans that seems to work, too.

Overall, Bob's right- although a Girl Scout will do in a pinch.

Watch the squeezin' hand position.
I have a few of these, most have a lousy hand position that tires the wrist quickly.
Sedalia Dave's suggestion is the most comfortable for my wrist.

15 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Unfortunately most young kids aren’t really interested in manual labor anymore. I was just looking for the mfg and model of one of the popular ones 

My kids definately have a case of the wants, I've mostly solved this by mandating if they want it they buy it with their own money, no money?  here's a sink full of dishes, there's a yard that needs mowed...

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I've seen folks using a rolling thing that is made for picking up pecans that seems to work, too.

Overall, Bob's right- although a Girl Scout will do in a pinch.

I prefer cookies to popcorn anyways...

15 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I've tried several and the ones with the rubber cups work the best.

This model doesn't fold but is longer than the folding version so you can reach further.

ArcMate EZ Reacher STANDARD Outdoor, Pro Reacher Grabber Pick Up Tool with Pistol Grip, Suction Cup Reacher,

When the cups wear out, replace them with silicone ones. 

EZ Reacher Silicone Replacement Cups, 6 Pair Pack

I would have to agree. I say “have to” as I have tried numerous brass picking implements and tools and these along with a fishnet on a long handle just seem to work best. 

I was always looking for the easiest method. I thought I had the perfect solution with “nut pickers” but then you get lots of rocks and dirt with those and it doesn’t work with smaller cases. 

Fishnet - extendable 

Pawfly Aquarium Fish Net with Extendable 9-24 Inch Long Handle for Betta Fish Tank https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G73V2QH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V23FZPKKT0FVTGC1C4X6?psc=1

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would have to agree. I say “have to” as I have tried numerous brass picking implements and tools and these along with a fishnet on a long handle just seem to work best. 

I was always looking for the easiest method. I thought I had the perfect solution with “nut pickers” but then you get lots of rocks and dirt with those and it doesn’t work with smaller cases. 

Fishnet - extendable 

Pawfly Aquarium Fish Net with Extendable 9-24 Inch Long Handle for Betta Fish Tank https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G73V2QH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V23FZPKKT0FVTGC1C4X6?psc=1

I use a picker...and had Anvil Horn 'blacksmith' me a long handle with a treble cleff on it...attached to an old citronella bucket.

Makes a good pairing.

Will snap a photo later...it's packed at the moment.

at match  we only need to pick up 10 rounds for a  rifle and shot gun shells 

my roller can get a pile in a few seconds .

most of time we have 2 brass pickers so it goes quick. 

at our range we have gravel that we picked  to make it easy to find and pick our brass

raking or blowing leaves helps find brass tooo

steel challege  we use tarps because  no one reloads  and we dont have to move 

most of cowboys dont want to run from station to station on tarps with boots on 

now i think I left my pincher at the range 

2 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

at match  we only need to pick up 10 rounds for a  rifle and shot gun shells 

my roller can get a pile in a few seconds .

most of time we have 2 brass pickers so it goes quick. 

at our range we have gravel that we picked  to make it easy to find and pick our brass

raking or blowing leaves helps find brass tooo

steel challege  we use tarps because  no one reloads  and we dont have to move 

most of cowboys dont want to run from station to station on tarps with boots on 

now i think I left my pincher at the range 

Around here we have board walks, grass, dirt and gravel.  When it is hot and dry we have giant cracks in the Blackland Clay.   Sometimes only one and sometimes all three on a stage depending. The pecan rollers seem to have trouble on the uneven grass.

54 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Around here we have board walks, grass, dirt and gravel.  When it is hot and dry we have giant cracks in the Blackland Clay.   Sometimes only one and sometimes all three on a stage depending. The pecan rollers seem to have trouble on the uneven grass.

our boardwalk had a few brass eating cracks I used spray foam under them to fill the crack but when we get rain they swell back up, water proofing them is next project before winter . 

This is the one that I have and has held up for many years. When I used the rubber cups model they seemed to break often.

https://www.amazon.com/Unger-Professional-Nifty-Nabber-36/dp/B0000V0AGS/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R7EZD1QBV2GY3MBNZDT2

19 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I had back surgery not long before dove season. Went hunting a couple times with one of those corset looking laced back braces. It was interesting. Wasn't a problem catching the hulls from my o/u shotgun but picking up a bird was!

JHC

Archived