SASS Wire Forum

Printer error???

Singin' Sue 71615

Well, I hate techno crap!!!

Tonight, trying to print the stages for LR...my phone and lap top said...Error with Printer...

Over and hour, going in circles...and nada!!!

Finally downloaded an HP app on my phone that I can print.

BUT, it says docs go through other 'printers'?

Now, why won't my printer ADD when putting in IP, ect?

Had a new WIFI modem put in, did that change?

Also got 'click here' options to fix windows 10 errors?

Does Chromebook use Windows 10???

The printer worked fine just a couple of weeks ago.

Help, before I bald myself!!!

Had a similar issue recently. I have a WiFi printer (wireless). I had to get a new WiFi router and the printer would no longer work because it was tied into the old WiFi. I had to go thru the steps like the printer was new to get it hooked up to the new router so I could print from my phone again. 

You could email the stages to Office Max and they'll print them for you. I don't have a printer and if I want something printed, which is very rare, I send it via email to Office Max. It's like $.16 a copy!

Sometimes my wifi connected printer will not print. You can see one or more documents in the print que and will not print even when you click on resume. I go to the settings/printer area in Windows and run troubleshooter. Even if it says there is no problem, it wakes up the printer and I'll hear it printing. This is on my laptop.

If your printer is AirPrint-enabled for printing from your Mac or iOS device, just make sure that it's connected to the same Wi-Fi network used by the Mac or iOS device.1

If you still can't print, try any of these solutions:

• Restart your Wi-Fi router. Then restart your printer.
  • Move your printer closer to your Wi-Fi router.
  • Update your printer and Wi-Fi router with the latest firmware from the manufacturer.2
  • Update the software for your Mac or iOS device.

9 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Had a similar issue recently. I have a WiFi printer (wireless). I had to get a new WiFi router and the printer would no longer work because it was tied into the old WiFi. I had to go thru the steps like the printer was new to get it hooked up to the new router so I could print from my phone again. 

Okay...

So how exactly do I do that???

1 minute ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Ask the 12 year old neighbor kid

Hahaha!!!

Yup.

May ask the 26yr olds.

Everything I have tried has not worked...except the app, wich shares servers....and I don't like that one bit!!!

49 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

So how exactly do I do that???

Luckily, my printer was fairly new.  I still had the original setup documentation.  You may be able to get online and look up your printer model and find the setup instructions.

Do you have a separate modem and router or a combination unit? 

Did changing the modem make a change to your network name and password?

Shut off everything and restart, including laptop.

If you are confident you have a viable wifi network to connect with, can you connect your laptop to it through your settings (name and password of network)?

I went with a combination modem/router which changed my network name and password. It's been a couple of years and I may have had to notify the cable company of these items to get the cable supplier to allow it to work.

Once you have your laptop connected to your wifi, you should be able to see available printers in the settings. Select it and send a document to print. If it doesn't, run the print troubleshooter. Do this until you get your laptop to print. If you can't, check your documentation or download manuals to verify.

I walk away for a few minutes at times so I don't break things. That can help. Once fixed, a few drinks do wonders.

Online help can be useful if you can connect with the Internet. If you can't, a phone call might help.

Good luck.

33 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Luckily, my printer was fairly new.  I still had the original setup documentation.  You may be able to get online and look up your printer model and find the setup instructions.

Thanks. I will look that up!

18 minutes ago, Go West said:

Do you have a separate modem and router or a combination unit? 

Did changing the modem make a change to your network name and password?

Shut off everything and restart, including laptop.

If you are confident you have a viable wifi network to connect with, can you connect your laptop to it through your settings (name and password of network)?

I went with a combination modem/router which changed my network name and password. It's been a couple of years and I may have had to notify the cable company of these items to get the cable supplier to allow it to work.

Once you have your laptop connected to your wifi, you should be able to see available printers in the settings. Select it and send a document to print. If it doesn't, run the print troubleshooter. Do this until you get your laptop to print. If you can't, check your documentation or download manuals to verify.

I walk away for a few minutes at times so I don't break things. That can help. Once fixed, a few drinks do wonders.

Online help can be useful if you can connect with the Internet. If you can't, a phone call might help.

Good luck.

Thanks.

The Wifi sent a new reciever.

The printer is set up to the old reciever...so I believe the gateway and IP may be different.

In trying to reup the printer, it said to 'remove' it and search to reset.

Can't find the computer!!!

Yup, will try again AFTER Land Run!!!

If I read this correctly, you have an HP printer.

The ideal location for the installation files is C:\Install\HPxxx
Reason:  HP keeps a zillion internal pointers as to where it was installed from.
If you run two or more HP printers, this method is mandatory to avoid conflict with swapping CDs back and forth.
Create the install directory then copy the entire CD contents to that directory.

Run the SETUP.EXE from the install directory and REPAIR (if it is offered).
If not offered, then REMOVE is the next option.

After removal, reboot your machine, then run SETUP again to reinstall the printer.

21 minutes ago, bgavin said:

If I read this correctly, you have an HP printer.

The ideal location for the installation files is C:\Install\HPxxx
Reason:  HP keeps a zillion internal pointers as to where it was installed from.
If you run two or more HP printers, this method is mandatory to avoid conflict with swapping CDs back and forth.
Create the install directory then copy the entire CD contents to that directory.

Run the SETUP.EXE from the install directory and REPAIR (if it is offered).
If not offered, then REMOVE is the next option.

After removal, reboot your machine, then run SETUP again to reinstall the printer.

Thanks.

Wireless printer, and laptop has no drive for a CD...

I will see if I can find the owners manualc

and start from scratch again.

58 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Thanks.

The Wifi sent a new reciever.

The printer is set up to the old reciever...so I believe the gateway and IP may be different.

In trying to reup the printer, it said to 'remove' it and search to reset.

Can't find the computer!!!

Yup, will try again AFTER Land Run!!!

Can't find printer....

Go to HP.COM with the model number of your printer.
Look for the Drivers download in Support
Download the driver package.

Copy to C:\Install\HPxxx whatever your model number is.
Run from there.

I think you are trying to say your router has a new name and password for your wifi signal.

If you are connected with your old name and password, select the correct one from the list brought up by clicking on Internet Icon on your task bar. If you have not done this before, you will need to add name and password for your computer to log in and use this.

IMG_20210419_092529355.jpg

4 minutes ago, Go West said:

I think you are trying to say your router has a new name and password for your wifi signal.

If you are connected with your old name and password, select the correct one from the list brought up by clicking on Internet Icon on your task bar. If you have not done this before, you will need to add name and password for your computer to log in and use this.

IMG_20210419_092529355.jpg

Thanks.

Laptop connects to the wifi...runs everything fine.

Printer loads, scans, ect...

Connects to the wifi.

The laptop has somewhere got pissed at the printer, and now they aren't speaking!!!

I will get it with all you gentlemens help!

Go to your settings/printers. Delete your printer. Click on the Add printer button. It should come up in a list. Select it and see if that works.

IMG_20210419_092650811.jpg

3 hours ago, Go West said:

Go to your settings/printers. Delete your printer. Click on the Add printer button. It should come up in a list. Select it and see if that works.

IMG_20210419_092650811.jpg

Nothing comes up.

Will not add with the IP: address 

Will not find it on 'search'

On your laptop open a Network connection so you can find your IP address.
An alternative method is opening a CMD prompt, then typing IPCONFIG < enter key>

Next, run the network settings page from your printer maintenance panel if you have one.
Since your printer is a wireless type, you should have this.

You are looking to see if the printer is on a different subnet than the wifi router.
Comast/Xfinity uses 10.0.0.x
If you are behind a router, you are most likely on 192.168.x.x

If the printer IP is a different subnet, your laptop will never see it.

24 minutes ago, bgavin said:

On your laptop open a Network connection so you can find your IP address.
An alternative method is opening a CMD prompt, then typing IPCONFIG < enter key>

Next, run the network settings page from your printer maintenance panel if you have one.
Since your printer is a wireless type, you should have this.

You are looking to see if the printer is on a different subnet than the wifi router.
Comast/Xfinity uses 10.0.0.x
If you are behind a router, you are most likely on 192.168.x.x

If the printer IP is a different subnet, your laptop will never see it.

Right?

The gateway had changed

And the 255.255.255.xx has too, I believe.

I will call the internet service and get all changes before going further!!!

It sounds like you changed internet vendors.
When you changed modems, you changed subnets.

Your printer is most likely a dynamic IP address.
This means it gets it from the modem.

If everything else is connected and gets out to the internet, the printer is the only problem child.
Go into the printer wireless network setup and re-do the setup.
It will find the new wireless router and get an IP from the new router/modem.

The subnetmask (255.255.255.0, etc) is automatic.
Don't sweat it.
When the device picks up an IP from the router/modem, the subnet mask is set automatically.

The printer is the only device needing to be set up again on Wireless.

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

It sounds like you changed internet vendors.
When you changed modems, you changed subnets.

Your printer is most likely a dynamic IP address.
This means it gets it from the modem.

If everything else is connected and gets out to the internet, the printer is the only problem child.
Go into the printer wireless network setup and re-do the setup.
It will find the new wireless router and get an IP from the new router/modem.

The subnetmask (255.255.255.0, etc) is automatic.
Don't sweat it.
When the device picks up an IP from the router/modem, the subnet mask is set automatically.

The printer is the only device needing to be set up again on Wireless.

Thank you.

Same internet server...just new modem.

Yes...I will start the 'new' set up once we get back.

I just sent two emails to Office Max for them to print out. They’re range release forms for two of the shoots I go to. $.16 a copy!

Everytime I read thread like this, I ponder the true meanings of "plug and play" and "user friendly"........

For as long  as I was practicing, I had the benefit of access to an in-house IT guy; any tech problems solved quickly and easily by a phone call, an email or a remote log in to my laptop.  Those days are now over.  I need grandchildren.  Quickly.

LL

I always urge my clients to avoid wireless whenever they have a choice, because wireless is a PITA.
By default network adapters shut off their power for some green energy baloney... and often times fail to wake up again.
This requires a reboot to recover, until it happens again.

Wireless security protocols are constantly evolving, where some devices refuse to talk to older devices.
The "internet of things" sticks in my craw...
This is where Refrigerator v1.0 is not compatible with Home Security 2.0.
However there is a patch for Fridge v1.0 up to 1.1, but this breaks the WPA security in HS 2.0, so a hotfix is required for the patch...
Ad naseum.

A wired network connection avoids all the security protocol hassles inherent in wireless.
One still has to manually disable power management on the network adapter, or it will still put itself to sleep.

Grandkids are a definite plus here... especially with phones.

Archived