SASS Wire Forum

A match video experiment

Ozark Shark

I shot a video of our local match using just my drone.

Interesting perspective.  Just wonder if any of the competitors said anything about the drone being distracting?

I like the music. I'm not sure about using solely the drone footage if this is to be a promo video. Maybe more ground scenes, smiling faces and closer perspectives of running stages interspersed with the drone footage. 

Great quality filming, though.

Just sayin...

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

Interesting perspective.  Just wonder if any of the competitors said anything about the drone being distracting?

Good question.  Feedback was they did not notice it.  The video is being shot with a 2x optical zoom, so the drone is higher and further off to the side of the stage than the video makes it look.

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

I like the music. I'm not sure about using solely the drone footage if this is to be a promo video. Maybe more ground scenes, smiling faces and closer perspectives of running stages interspersed with the drone footage. 

Great quality filming, though.

Just sayin...

I completely agree.  This was just an experiment to see what could be done with a small drone.  I will definitely mix ground level video and still shots in any promo or documentary coverage.

19 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Very stable platform in the stationary footage. I'm impressed. Are all drones this easy to hold still now days?

The better made one are very simple to fly and hover well.  I'm using a DJI Mini 2.  It only weighs 245 grams and I was filming in 8 to 12 mph winds (obvious by the BP cloud dispersion).  Between the GPS position lock and the video digital stabilization, it's self-driving.  It stays where I place it in hover.  

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

I use action cams with wide angle lens set on tripods.  At first there was a lot comments about the cameras being out front.  I had to move them back and hide them behind trees.  I kept moving them in closer and closer utill they were within 6" of the stage.  They make much better video and I think most are comfortable with them.  If Doc Hurd shows up,  I get his approval on camera placement. 

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

You need gophers!  You need Bill Murray to come over and take care of them.

How do you keep the drone stationery?   Looks like any wind would drift it along.

GPS position lock capabilities are very strong in DJI drone software and it's very good at making quick adjustments for the wind.  It can handle winds up to 25 mph with no issue.  Considering it only weighs 245 grams, I have no intentions of flying it in heavier air.

9 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I use action cams with wide angle lens set on tripods.  At first there was a lot comments about the cameras being out front.  I had to move them back and hide them behind trees.  I kept moving them in closer and closer utill they were within 6" of the stage.  They make much better video and I think most are comfortable with them.  If Doc Hurd shows up,  I get his approval on camera placement. 

I shoot with Warden and don't even notice the cameras.  Actually most of the SASS ranges in central and SW Missouri have video cameras covering the events.

24 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Looks like you behind the stage with something in your hand.  Are you constantly monitoring and controlling the drone? 

Yes I had the controller in my hand so I could see what I was capturing on video.  It uses a smartphone for the controller computer (including the GPS from the phone) and video, in my case an iphone X.  But I was not actively flying it unless I was changing its position.

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Doesn't seem they even noticed. Nobody seems to be looking up at it. You know someone would have waved.!

Ooooops, saw one looking near the end!   Nice video.

20 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

I shoot with Warden and don't even notice the cameras.  Actually most of the SASS ranges in central and SW Missouri have video cameras covering the events.

Yes I had the controller in my hand so I could see what I was capturing on video.  It uses a smartphone for the controller computer (including the GPS from the phone) and video, in my case an iphone X.  But I was not actively flying it unless I was changing its position.

Interesting,  but I can't see anything on my Samsung phone or tablet in the sunlight or even bright out not directly in the sun.  

1 hour ago, Ozark Shark said:

I completely agree.  This was just an experiment to see what could be done with a small drone.  I will definitely mix ground level video and still shots in any promo or documentary coverage.

Man I hoped you didn't think I was being over critical. (It was late, I was tired, I ran out of gas, an old friend came in from out of town, I got a flat tire.....:D)

I really liked the video and if this is any indication of the production value you're capable of, then you got the chops for a great promo video. Maybe even for one to promote SASS everywhere in the manner that gets talked about on the Wire every month or so.

(We're due for another thread on that, aren't we?)

57 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Man I hoped you didn't think I was being over critical. (It was late, I was tired, I ran out of gas, an old friend came in from out of town, I got a flat tire.....:D)

I really liked the video and if this is any indication of the production value you're capable of, then you got the chops for a great promo video. Maybe even for one to promote SASS everywhere in the manner that gets talked about on the Wire every month or so.

(We're due for another thread on that, aren't we?)

Hendo, I didn't think that at all and, as I said, I agree with you.  It was a first pass experiment and I personally think it is pretty crude compared to what I know can be done with the drone.  I'm pretty good with a video camera, but I'm just learning to use a drone.  My goal is both quality promo videos and to redevelop our club's website with using video backgrounds.  I want to use drone footage, action videos and even POV videos like the link below which I shot using the camera on my safety glasses.  My hope it is to have enough quality video available in time to rebuild the website at the end of this year.  Time will tell.

32 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I would love to get videos of our folks and get them posted on our website, but I'm not willing to give up shooting the matches in order to film.

That's why I set cheap action cams on tripods out front.  I use battery packs and just let them run. 

In this one you can notice the leg of the one tripod on the lower left of the screen.  From the other camera, you can see the camera on the left from shooters prospective.  I put a LOT of time in editing. 

Just now, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I figured some did that; don't know that we have the resources to do that though.

Do the cameras get "beat up"?

None of my cameras have been wounded by "hostile fire" in the past 6 years or so.  I've had a couple die of natural causes.  I use cheap Chinese cameras that cost less than $100. The SJ1000 has been by far the better camera.  I mount them in the waterproof case and cut holes over the microphone and to connect to battery pack.  The battery pack (less than $20) will run the camera through a whole match and well beyond.  I just let them run. 

23 hours ago, Sarge said:

Under a hat rim you wouldn't notice it.  The ear pro would cover it's fairly faint sound too.

11 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I would love to get videos of our folks and get them posted on our website, but I'm not willing to give up shooting the matches in order to film.

I shot every stage.  I flew the drone before and after.

11 hours ago, Ozark Shark said:

I shot every stage.  I flew the drone before and after.

I hear ya; I just work a lot during matches... running timer, spotting, picking brass, resetting KDs, etc.

I just need a camera operator. Lol

Archived