SASS Wire Forum

ASM Schofields the good, bad and DOA

Pee Wee #15785

Who bought a ASM Schofield made in the late 90's?  Do you still have it?  Did it work or not and what was done to make it work?  I need some parts for my pair.  One of mine I have squired the cylinder faces, machined a latch assembly but need some trigger hammer parts that I can get measurements from.  I gave a $100 for both knowing they didn't work good when new.

Is there any gunsmith that will work on them today?

Funny thing is they were a closer copy just like the ASM SAA's were a closer copy than Uberti and Pietta.  But inferior metal and workmanship did them in.

4 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Funny thing is they were a closer copy just like the ASM SAA's were a closer copy than Uberti and Pietta.  But inferior metal and workmanship did them in.

I've got a couple of ASM SAA's and I find them to be pretty good.  But my ASM 92 was a train wreck action wise.   Seems like they were rather hit or miss depending on what they made and when.

Quality Control at ASM was abysmal.  Their guns were super close replicas of Colt and S & W.  Just too poorly made.  If you can find OEM S&W parts for the 2000 series, they should take very little fitting to install and have work.

OOPS:  I don't know of any current guys that will work on the ASM.  It's a lot like repeatedly hitting yer thumb with a Hammer :ph34r:

I have an ASM schofield. Since I’ve bought it I’ve used it in 3 shoots plus a little practice.  Maybe a couple hundred rds.  I like it better than the open top in the photo. Love my ‘73 Centennial build. No problems with it yet. I did add a couple thin pieces of holly under the oem grips to make them thicker. 

8BABD30E-9DB7-4222-A87D-7BFCFC321177.jpeg

All this time, I thought my Navy Arms S&W copies(NM Russians) were uberti.  Gonna look at them again.  

14 minutes ago, WOLFY said:

All this time, I thought my Navy Arms S&W copies(NM Russians) were uberti.  Gonna look at them again.  

Most of the Schofields out there are Uberti.  Navy Arms was the first to import the Uberti and that was the only place to get them until their business started going downhill and Uberti started sending them to Cimarron and Taylors.

ASM's Schofield was the first model if I remember right.  They looked good in the magazines and the gun writers in the late 90's talked how good they were and how they gave you something other than a Colt or Colt clone.  All the ASM I remember seeing were .45 Colt.  I had one that came from England that Tom Sargis gunsmithed that had 5-6000 rounds through it before I sold it.  It was used by 2-5 teens that shot 2-4 matches a month for several years.  The pair I have now came from an auction.  

I know that T-Bone started with ASM Schofields in 38sp. I think he has 3 pair. He learned early on how to make them run reliably. Perhaps 1 1/2 years in he switched to Rugers. I also remember stories of a loft somewhere around Cimarrons place in Fredericksburg that contained a large cache of carcasses of ASM Schofields. There was someone who worked for Cimarron who would go up there and pull parts together and build guns for sale I believe. But it was a very hazy story, somewhat like the lady of the lake at White Rock Lake in Dallas.

I've seen that cache of Schofield carcasses. But I never heard of anyone putting guns together.  There was also a smaller cache of Richards conversions.  I don't think Mike wanted to sell any of those.  There were also some Richards parts and some Schofield parts.  The Richards parts got sold to Peter Sherayko I believe to support his movie guns.  Not sure about the Schofield parts.  I heard that gunsmith Lonnie Amman had a bunch of the Schofields hanging on a wall.  

Goody, I don't think I knew the ASM Schofields came in .38.  I know T-Bone was shooting 4 3/4" Richards-Masons for a while.  You weren't thinking of those?

57 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Goody, I don't think I knew the ASM Schofields came in .38.  I know T-Bone was shooting 4 3/4" Richards-Masons for a while.  You weren't thinking of those?

No, what I remember were Schofields. Perhaps they were Uberti, b ut i don't really know.

Archived