SASS Wire Forum

My first club shoot

Joeronimo Caffiend

IT WAS FANTASTIC; I was complete rubbish as a shooter, but my fun level pegged the meter.

My deepest thanks to all the veterans there; their ready acceptance and friendliness was a real joy to experience in the 21st century.  Shout-out to T-Bone, Too Tall, and Double Barrell; y'all saved me from some real tenderfoot blunders.  Special props to Ocoee Red for the use of the 73 and .38 ammo which saved me from my Thunderbolt (hey, we've all made bad choices in firearms once) past the first stage.

Now I could go into detail about about all my misadventures, but if you check the match scores....well it pretty much spells my current ability out....except the part where I failed to load Red's 73 for a stage; I'm still laughing at myself each time I tell the story to others outside if SASS.

Aloha &Mahalo;

Joeronimo

welcome to the SASS family , glad you had fun , but it would have concerned me a lot if you didnt , this is a great venue to enjoy yourself and everyone else , cant think of a time in SASS that i didnt have a great time - even the one that was a total wash out in wisconsin , there were a few of us that stayed/camped/totally enjoyed that shoot without firing a shot 

So glad you enjoyed yourself. When you look back on your first shoot all those little moments will become great stories to tell  the next up and coming shooter.

Trust me, your experience mirrors many many others who have joined the game, forgetting to load, wrong starting position or gun order, having your first penalty called or missing that monstrously large target etc. etc.

But what you will remember most is the first clean stage, the first time you shoot smoothly and correctly, the first time everyone cheers you for giving a good effort, the first time you begin to understand the cowboy way and stick it out after a major penalty and all your pards slap you on the back for being one of the "good ones", the first time you loan your guns to a "newbie" just starting out. Those moments are irreplaceable and last a lifetime.

Welcome to the fun and possibly see you down the road.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I've never gone to the line with an unloaded gun.  But after 20 years I went to the line with a revolver that only had 4 rounds in it.  It was my only miss at a state match.  We are fortunate that this game is enjoyable, for most of us, even when we are not at our best!

Sounds about like most everyone's "first match"...   Somehow, tellin' someone that the electronic "beep" has the ability to disengage one's thought processes... is nothing like experiencing it!!!

Welcome to the club!  I started last year and still making some major mistakes, but still really enjoying it.

If you have any hesitation about attending a state match, forget the hesitation and GO!  I almost didn't go to the Tennessee state match last year, but was talked into it.  I was posseed with both the top man (Missouri Lefty) and top Lady (Shamrock Sadie) for two days, along with about 6 category winners.  They never made me feel unwelcome, even though my times were about three times slower than them.

Hope to see you at Wartrace this summer/fall.

13 hours ago, Joeronimo Caffiend said:

IT WAS FANTASTIC; I was complete rubbish as a shooter, but my fun level pegged the meter.

My deepest thanks to all the veterans there; their ready acceptance and friendliness was a real joy to experience in the 21st century.  Shout-out to T-Bone, Too Tall, and Double Barrell; y'all saved me from some real tenderfoot blunders.  Special props to Ocoee Red for the use of the 73 and .38 ammo which saved me from my Thunderbolt (hey, we've all made bad choices in firearms once) past the first stage.

Now I could go into detail about about all my misadventures, but if you check the match scores....well it pretty much spells my current ability out....except the part where I failed to load Red's 73 for a stage; I'm still laughing at myself each time I tell the story to others outside if SASS.

Aloha &Mahalo;

Joeronimo

Welcome to the most fun you can have with you're clothes on!!  Come on down and join us at Wartrace sometime.

Randy

Archived