SASS Wire Forum

Field grade 357 rifle

sassnetguy50

Non-SASS use

Looking for advice from those with hands on experience on the Uberti 1873 or Henry 357.  Looking for something that can be mildly slicked and shortish throw.  Not looking for a full race work over that is ammo picky.  Will be used for hunting and playing at the range.

Other models to look at? 

My experience is limited, but as it will be a non-SASS working firearm, I'd go with the Henry Big Boy X, that is the "black gun club" model; if you want to throw some flash into it, the All Weather SS Big Boy.

I'm a Marlin guy but the more I see the Henry rifles, the more I like them. Not for shooting CAS, but just as an all around darn nice gun.

I really like my Marlin 1894CB. I bought  it in 2019. I doubt that you’ll find any around now, though. Since the craziness kicked off it seems everything pistol caliber is hard to come by. Maybe we’ll see them again after Ruger gets things up and running. 

I will second the 1894CB, mine was also made in 2019.
I am entirely happy with the fit and finish.
It hits where I aim it.

And, I'm a sucker for octagonal barrels.

My first lever was a Winchester 94 AE .357 magnum.  if you want extra punch for hunting, you can load and cycle some really long OAL .357 mag's without having to rechamber to 360 DW or .357 Max, but both of those are an option if you want to gunsmith it. 

I prefer the henry mag system for range work, it doesn't bust up my thumbs so bad and I appreciate the ability to dump the mag if I want the gun unloaded.  I also like Henry's transfer bar safety, it's passive and works.  

an EXCELLENT gun to consider if not at all going to use for SASS is the Ruger 77/357 Magnum.  especially now that you can get aftermarket 9 round mags for it.  if you want a scoped .357 mag carbine, go this route, it's the same weight scoped as any of the levers bare, isn't as picky about cartridge OAL as some levers, has a stock set up for scopes, comes with scope rings, takes detachable mags and is a tank.

traded my 77/357 for a rossi 'cause SASS... it'll still get used for 80% hunting/defense/range work, 20% CAS.  My particular rossi is accurate and appears to cycle both my 38 and .357 reloads happily so far.  it's a compromise gun for me, I can hot rod it if I want for hunting, but I'm limited in OAL unless making single shots, it lets me shoot CAS, but it's not a toggle link gamer gun, It's accurate with Iron sights, and I won't be scoping it due to top ejecting, weight and stock configuration.

El CupAJoe

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I will second the 1894CB, mine was also made in 2019.
I am entirely happy with the fit and finish.
It hits where I aim it.

And, I'm a sucker for octagonal barrels.

Agree.

I have read that Ruger plans to produce the 1894.   Don't know what configuration, but the 1894

nontheless.

Another good option is the Rossi 1892.

I like the Henry models with those short, heavy OCTAGON barrels, but I have no experience

with them to make a reliable comment.

..........Widder

I would really like for Marlin to make their 1894 Carbine in Stainless Steel with a laminate stock for all weather use. 
I looked at the Henry “all weather” (online) and it looks nice but the receiver is coated steel and it only holds 7 in the mag. 
The Henry is still an option. 
I don’t want it for SASS. I want one in .45 Colt for a truck gun. 

Archived