SASS Wire Forum

66 vs. 73 in .45 - We have a winner

Joeronimo Caffiend

Read the interwebs and watched some tubes regarding both alone and versus; thought I come get some opined straight from those that ride the smokey trail on which is better.

Mahalo in advance for the sage advice!

I have both.  The 73 is lighter and has the trigger/lever safety. Other than that, functionally not much difference between the two.    Pick the one that calls to you and feels right in your hands.  

The '73 has the trigger block safety to deter an out of battery discharge... and for ease of tear-down, the '73 is best.  Important for the black powder shooter.  Plus you don't have to wait for the '66 to improve it's looks by acquiring "patina"!!!

All the above but mostly choose what YOU want, that looks good to you, that handles smoothly for you, that fits your budget. You are the sole decider as to which is better for you. Internally almost identical, tear down for clean up a bit more complicated for the 66, (but not that much), style points for the brass frame (from all but the '73 afficianado's) :P, slightly different drop to the stocks of various models (which you will have to check for yourself which fits you).

Best of luck but make your choice based on what you like and remember whichever you get will most likely not be your last rifle choice:)

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Less chance of a out of battery discharge with the 73

OLG 

Once you've help pull the bits of brass out of a shooter nose, you tend to favor the 73.

Johnny M.

Phil, it has been a very long time since I compared rifles.

You are correct.

To shoot the 1860 you stand straight up.  (gentleman's sporting rifle)

If you lean in and down on the stock, you loose the front sight.

The 1866 has less drop by about 3/4".

The 1873 has even less drop and you will have to lean forward and down to get the front sight.

So in choosing one of these rifles, it will depend on how you stand when shooting and how tall you are to start with.

'73 easier to take apart for deep cleaning.  Much less chance of an Out of Battery discharge.   Better fit for most folks statures. 

The most used rifle in SASS is the 73.  So, more likely you can sell one faster (and for more money) than a '66 if you want to later on.

The real way to tell - drag your carcass out to a local match and try them out.  Bet you will be offered the chance to shoot a wheelbarrow full of guns.  Ask lots of questions and thank all the kind cow-folks.

good luck, GJ

I have both, yes 73 is easier to take apart  you don't have to remove the leaver.  Yes 73 is harder to have an out of battery discharge (I had one) but 66 looks cooler shooting black powder it is my go to rifle.  45 colt does have more blowback than 44-40 and such.  I have never had any issues shooting black out of them. Keep them wet.

Rafe 

4 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

‘73 has more parts to break.

I can think of 3.... trigger block safety, its pin & spring.  Not a liability.

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

I can think of 3.... trigger block safety, its pin & spring.  Not a liability.

Every extra part in a devise is a potential liability. 

I saw the aftermath of an out of battery condition that was real bloody. Good thing eyewear was used. Even a '73 may do this if you attempt to chamber a round with a squib.

That said, the '73 will prevent out of battery conditions in normal operation. It is easier to clean and is somewhat lighter than a '66. You also have choices of carbine, short rifle or sporting rifles with each, which is also a personal preference.

Unless you need the larger caliber, the .38 or .38/.357 is more popular and cheaper to run. They also tend to run cleaner.

I had both 66 & 73 in 44 Special. 

I always liked the 66 myself. 

Your mileage my very. 

The 73 has benefits over the 66.

The 66 has looks over the 73 .

Rooster 

I am personally a fan of Brass Rifles.  Feel much smoother than your average '73.  Brass rifles DO NOT have a trigger block safety.  SO WHAT!!  I have never had an Out of Battery discharge.  OBD happens when the shooter get himself or herself out of time with the rifle.  Shooter Error.

A '66 is no more difficult to take down than a '73.  One extra screw.  Should only need a full take down about once a year.  I don't see an advantage to a '73.  Exactly the same internal action parts and operation in ALL the Uberti Toggle Link rifles.  The Henry can be a real problem if the Side Plates are tight from the factory.  The side plates can require careful fitting.  After fitting, take down is easy peasy although you may need a reassembly pin.

ALL of the Uberti Toggle Link rifles respond very well to proper set up and Short Stroking.  Very Well indeed.  My three Henry rifles are every bit as fast as any '73.

I have both the 66 and 73 in carbine and 73 short rifle.

The 73 is easier to disassemble and reassemble but after you get use to the 66 it's not that big of difference. 

The biggest difference is the 73 has a safety to prevent a out of battery. 

Personally my favorite is the 66 because it looks cool. But really a preference thing.

There really isn't a weight difference as long as you are comparing carbine to carbine,  or short rifle to short rifle. 

66 vs 73..... humm, When I was 66 I could leap tall buildings with a single bound. Now, at 73 it takes me two bounds.

Snakebite

21 hours ago, Griff said:

The '73 has the trigger block safety to deter an out of battery discharge... and for ease of tear-down, the '73 is best.  Important for the black powder shooter.  Plus you don't have to wait for the '66 to improve it's looks by acquiring "patina"!!!

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Whichever fits you outfit best...

73 is more likely easier to sell if you must...

Why not both: one rifle, one carbine?

The questions that lead to an overflowing safe...

6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Brass rifles DO NOT have a trigger block safety.  SO WHAT!!  I have never had an Out of Battery discharge.  OBD happens when the shooter get himself or herself out of time with the rifle.  Shooter Error.

Yes, it's a human error. Mistakes happen everywhere from time to time. Remember that CAS is a shooting game based on time, so people basically want to shoot their rifle rounds as fast as possible. Mistakes can and will happen. That's why there are safety devices. You don't need a balcony railing, just don't make the mistake to step over the edge. And while there is a lot of "passive" safety equipment like helmets, airbags, and fire-extinguishers to reduce the impact of an accident, the trigger block saftey is an "active" safety that prevents an accident in the first place.

Equanimous Phil who still wears the seat belt while driving even though never was involved in a car accident....   ....so far

I have a Henry, 66' and 73'. I like them all, but shoot the 73's most. Why? I've had out of battery discharges in my 66', my fault, but it bent the lever and whacked my knuckles good. As long as you're not hitting the trigger as the lever closes and you don't intend to start doing that, it won't matter which rifle you get. Personally I shoot the 73' faster than the others, but I have no issues going back and forth from one to another.

Tully

One thing to consider is that the OP is asking about rifles in 45 Colt.  Certainly a 45 can have an OOB incident just as a .38 can but nobody runs the 45 as fast so perhaps somewhat less of an issue.

I shoot a 66 in 44wcf. When I bought it I had to choose between that one and a 73. Could not pass on the brass beauty. It now has a great patina...the only shiney spot on it is the new brass magazine cap. That said my next 44wcf would be a 73...just a bit easier to tear down.

Hochbauer

The die is cast and now I cross the Rio Grande into '73 land!

Thanks to all the cowpokes that supplied advice herel

I too had a hard time deciding, so I got a 92...

8 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

I too had a hard time deciding, so I got a 92...

Ummm.....errr...ahem, there might be one of those headed my way too along with the 73.

Archived