SASS Wire Forum

mentors

Highwall

Okay, I know I'm an old codger and many here will not relate to this subject but when I was younger I was constantly looking for advice from the experts, reading articles  from Field and Streams etc, and books and guides to help me improve my hunting, camping  and competitive shooting skills.

Here is who influenced me the most.

Elmer Keith of 44 mag fame

Bob Milek single shot hunting expert

Herter's professional guide manual

Hornady's reloading manual

I reckon it's times gone by now. :(

i can relate , i did much the same , ive never been disappointed that i spent that time and i believe there was a lot that i learned from those , i wish my children and grandchildren would have had that available to them [and been interested] but im still friends with some who write for publications like those and im still working on the grandkids , they are not quite the same , but they do still exist , you just need to look for them , 

Highwall,

this is a good 'camp fire' topic, of which I will gladly add my memories.

I always enjoyed reading of Bob Milek, Rick Jamison, Bill Jordan and there was also a

Sheriff that had some great stories in Shooting Times but his name eludes me at this

time. 

Great gun writers and story tellers.  They knew their stuff.

..........Widder

Elmer Keith was the best.  He sure was an inspiration.  I was so engrossed with his .44 mag. development that I almost started to eat .44 for breakfast.

Bob Milek was tops in developing loads for the T/C Contender.  To this day I still shoot his  .223 Rem. load with 24.5 Grains H-322 and 55 Gr WWFMJ and CCISRM primer, Rem. case.

Bill Jordan.  Enjoyed his love for the .41 Mag.

There are many other great writers that have contributed so much to the shooting sport.

DEADWOOD MINER

There are several folks who are trying to do the same today for Cowboy Action Shooters, albeit through a different media.

@Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 is a great example of someone coming out with great content trying to educate and inspire.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Highwall,

this is a good 'camp fire' topic, of which I will gladly add my memories.

I always enjoyed reading of Bob Milek, Rick Jamison, Bill Jordan and there was also a

Sheriff that had some great stories in Shooting Times but his name eludes me at this

time. 

Great gun writers and story tellers.  They knew their stuff.

..........Widder

Widder was it Skeeter Skelton?

1 hour ago, Sidekick said:

Widder was it Skeeter Skelton?

Thats a good one, Sidekick.

Gosh, I forgot about Skeeter Skelson and his tales of Dobe Grant...... and of course his 'Me and Joe'.

Dobe was apparently Lt.Col Evan Quiros (sp).

But no, the Sheriff I'm trying to think of is still aloose inside my brain.

Its like Sheriff Jim ?

EDIT:  I found it.    Sheriff Jim Wilson.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thats a good one, Sidekick.

Gosh, I forgot about Skeeter Skelson and his tales of Dobe Grant...... and of course his 'Me and Joe'.

Dobe was apparently Lt.Col Evan Quiros (sp).

But no, the Sheriff I'm trying to think of is still aloose inside my brain.

Its like Sheriff Jim ?

EDIT:  I found it.    Sheriff Jim Wilson.

..........Widder

Jim Wilson is a good one for sure.  He was a good friend for a number of years although I have not got to see him in far to many years.  My late wife, Joyce,  and I used to stop and visit with him some times when he lived in Mertzon.  Could tell you a interesting story of an evening with him when he was dating Skeeter's daughter.  The four of us took a late night boat ride over to an island after the American Handgunner banquet at the NRA  show in Seattle and we almost missed the next boat back.

It was Jim who got me in the the Shootist organization.  And, followed by John Taffin, another good writer.

Another writer who I enjoyed and knew was Larry Weishuhn.  He can really tell some hunting stories.

Widdr, Better share this one with you too,.  My Dad sold some land to fellow who I got to know very well and did a good many south Texas hunts with.  He, Jess, was in Border Patrol with and partnered with Bill Jordan.  He would tell stories on Bill and when I would see Bill, he often had a tell to relate to me about his friend Jess.  

Thanks guys! You help bring back many fond memories of when I was and active shooter. Days gone by but not lost!

Not really related to SASS but true to the subject of great mentors and handgun ingenuity to me has to be Nolan Jackson of Wichita Arms. He made the most accurate and precise firearms of the century in my opinion. I never could afford his rifles or bolt action handguns but did purchase a couple of his International single shot in 22lr and another in 30/30 that I competed in IHMSA for many years.

as 

H1193-L70203831.jpg

10 hours ago, Highwall said:

Not really related to SASS but true to the subject of great mentors and handgun ingenuity to me has to be Nolan Jackson of Wichita Arms. He made the most accurate and precise firearms of the century in my opinion. I never could afford his rifles or bolt action handguns but did purchase a couple of his International single shot in 22lr and another in 30/30 that I competed in IHMSA for many years.

as 

H1193-L70203831.jpg

Very nice handguns for sure.  I shot one on 30-30 chambering.  Nolan also made some extremely accurate bolt guns.

Another single shot of that type was made by Jim Rock from Tucson area.  Company was purchased from Rex  Merrill but Jim called company RPM (Rock Pistol Manufacturing).  I had a number of the RPMs including a hunting model with 356 chamber.  

On 4/18/2021 at 9:30 PM, Highwall said:

Okay, I know I'm an old codger and many here will not relate to this subject but when I was younger I was constantly looking for advice from the experts, reading articles  from Field and Streams etc, and books and guides to help me improve my hunting, camping  and competitive shooting skills.

....I reckon it's times gone by now. :(

Mentors have been replaced by YouTube.  

12 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Jim Wilson is a good one for sure.  He was a good friend for a number of years although I have not got to see him in far to many years.  My late wife, Joyce,  and I used to stop and visit with him some times when he lived in Mertzon.  Could tell you a interesting story of an evening with him when he was dating Skeeter's daughter.  The four of us took a late night boat ride over to an island after the American Handgunner banquet at the NRA  show in Seattle and we almost missed the next boat back.

It was Jim who got me in the the Shootist organization.  And, followed by John Taffin, another good writer.

Another writer who I enjoyed and knew was Larry Weishuhn.  He can really tell some hunting stories.

Widdr, Better share this one with you too,.  My Dad sold some land to fellow who I got to know very well and did a good many south Texas hunts with.  He, Jess, was in Border Patrol with and partnered with Bill Jordan.  He would tell stories on Bill and when I would see Bill, he often had a tell to relate to me about his friend Jess.  

Billy,

I didn't have to opportunity to ever meet Bill Jordan.   BUT, I wrote him a respectable letter once about

one of his Shooting Times articles  concerning the accuracy of the customized Ruger 10/22.   

And, I also referenced a similar article in the American Rifleman published by the NRA.

Bill actually replied with a HAND WRITTEN letter to me.   He basically said those yahoo's that

do accuracy test for the NRA couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and I should read their articles

with that in mind.

He also reiterated that his accuracy test were very valid, of which he had performed many times.

From the personality of his writings, he would be one of the few folks I would love to sit and

listen to.     You should feel blessed in knowing some of these fellers.

..........Widder

35 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Billy,

I didn't have to opportunity to ever meet Bill Jordan.   BUT, I wrote him a respectable letter once about

one of his Shooting Times articles  concerning the accuracy of the customized Ruger 10/22.   

And, I also referenced a similar article in the American Rifleman published by the NRA.

Bill actually replied with a HAND WRITTEN letter to me.   He basically said those yahoo's that

do accuracy test for the NRA couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and I should read their articles

with that in mind.

He also reiterated that his accuracy test were very valid, of which he had performed many times.

From the personality of his writings, he would be one of the few folks I would love to sit and

listen to.     You should feel blessed in knowing some of these fellers.

..........Widder

Such a pleasure to be around. He loved to use that southern "draw" and was comical (would enjoy telling you of my first meeting with him....such a memorable moment and typical of his antics).  He was quite the charmer if a lady was present also. 

Mentioning ladies makes me again think of Jim.  Seems that so often after Joyce and I would visit Jim he might "breakup" current girlfriend, so when he was about ready for a change he might refer to fact it was time for us to come visit.   Much the case with Skeeter's daughter.  (Sure you know Skeeter's son, Bart is also good writer. Nice fellow.)

YEP, know of Bart.

Although he's a good writer, I just never took to his articles as much as I did

for Skeeter.    Seems like Skeeter had a patent on making you feel like 'you were there' when

he told some stories.   And sometimes, it could make you feel like some one you knew.

Take Care.  Hope you have a good shooting season.

I'm healing from last August heart surgery and still haven't picked up a SG yet.

And of all the gall, Red Knee told me last week that he's gonna 'kick my butt' next time

we posse up again.   He won't have 'No Mercy' on this old man.

I heard a rumor that some of his Oklahoma pards are accepting donations towards buying

him a SxS......... cause he ain't doing to well with his 97's.

I hate it when folks start spreading malicious rumors.

:lol:;)

..........Widder

Just now, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

YEP, know of Bart.

Although he's a good writer, I just never took to his articles as much as I did

for Skeeter.    Seems like Skeeter had a patent on making you feel like 'you were there' when

he told some stories.   And sometimes, it could make you feel like some one you knew.

Take Care.  Hope you have a good shooting season.

I'm healing from last August heart surgery and still haven't picked up a SG yet.

And of all the gall, Red Knee told me last week that he's gonna 'kick my butt' next time

we posse up again.   He won't have 'No Mercy' on this old man.

Truth is, I understand that some of his Oklahoma pards are accepting donations towards buying

him a SxS......... cause he ain't doing to well with his 97's.

:lol:;)

..........Widder

Should see Red Knee tomorrow or Thursday.  Hope you continue healing well from surgery and it was extremely successful.

You are quite right about Bart's writings.  I also always thought Jim copied/followed Skeeter's style of writing to success.  They were friends.

For writer's and especially those I knew.  Larry W was one of the best at keeping one's attention to the end of a story yet may have starting story telling the conclusion, usually not a good idea but Larry could do it.

Take care of yourself.  

Archived