SASS Wire Forum

Sold - Ruger Old Army, pair, 7 1/2” barrels - Sold

Sarival Slim

Ruger Old Army, fixed sights, Slix nipples, very nice condition, no boxes, $1575 shipped to your door. Thanks, Sarival Slim.

DFA4BC60-AF3C-4875-865E-C848C6FF5B1F.jpeg

AB931760-EF79-44D8-97BE-05CF2C7B2C24.jpeg

2309B589-020E-4533-A0E6-B282140432C1.jpeg

7E67D371-2D4B-4AD4-A298-0AB946D6DBE2.jpeg

F1DEC642-BD97-4336-9DA4-047EA4C3A0FF.jpeg

34B5A929-7FF9-4EE4-8F86-23696124F807.jpeg

9F0FCAF5-FDDA-4F98-B5E0-E5BDA1D20F62.jpeg

B491F6D4-4685-4B0E-B00C-DDE5E4A3D63D.jpeg

3B051DDA-421A-4273-8025-F055585BCCCA.jpeg

Beautiful pair.

Other than brand name, what difference is there between these and 1858 NMA?

Thanks.

• Sarival Slim changed the title to SPF - Ruger Old Army, pair, 7 1/2” barrels - SPF
39 minutes ago, Chert Rock Chuck said:

Beautiful pair.

Thanks.

Ruger ruggedness is legendary. While the ROA and Remingtons have similarities the Ruger are built like a tank. Consider them as the Timex of BP revolvers. They take a lickin' and keep on clickin'.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Other than brand name?  That's like asking other than brand name what difference is there between a Ferarri and a Fiat 500.

Well, being condescending with a reply to a valid question, is as valuable as a Fiat 500 parked beside a Ferrari.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Other than brand name?  That's like asking other than brand name what difference is there between a Ferarri and a Fiat 500.

Very good response

J.M.

Not condescending, more befuddled.  If you had asked "other than brand name" what is the difference between a Cimarron or Taylor's 1858 that makes sense as they are the same gun just a different brand name.  Your question really could not be answered as they are two completely different things.

22 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Not condescending, more befuddled.  If you had asked "other than brand name" what is the difference between a Cimarron or Taylor's 1858 that makes sense as they are the same gun just a different brand name.  Your question really could not be answered as they are two completely different things.

They are obviously modeled after the ‘58.

I still think it was a valid question.

Since they are completely different, and never really existed in the period, I would think they wouldn’t be legal in SASS. But then, we have the Vaqueros, of which I have as main match guns.

Will we next accept a new design modeled loosely after a ‘51 or ‘60 Colt, but completely different, made by Glock next?

Asking my question was a valid inquiry, the answer to that would be of value to a potential buyer.

Since it was not your ad, your snarky remarks were quite counter productive.

3 hours ago, Chert Rock Chuck said:

Beautiful pair.

Thanks.

I've had both, and love both. The Ruger is heavier, beefier, and is the 1858 on steroids. You can shoot 45LC and 45ACP factory on them, with the 1858 not so much, softer metal. The Ruger also feels tighter, there is less play whereas the 1858 Remmy clones can have some rattle. All in all, they are the best BP revolvers made IMO

I think it stems from the availability of models when this game started. My understanding is that the market was limited so concessions were made to allow guns that were in the spirit of the west, if not exact. Along that same topic, the Henry Big Boy is not a copy of anything that existed prior to 1899 and Colt didn't offer octagon barrels on their M1873s, but we allow them. This is a fantasy game, not historical re-enactment.

12 hours ago, Chert Rock Chuck said:

Beautiful pair.

Thanks.

The Remingtons and the Rugers are only similar in the fact that they are both top strap (closed top?) style percussion guns, other than that they have nothing in common.  The Ruger is basically a Blackhawk that was engineered to accept a percussion cylinder and load lever.  Like most Rugers they are very rugged, dependable and can be race ready with a simple spring kit and some aftermarket nipples.

• Sarival Slim changed the title to Sold - Ruger Old Army, pair, 7 1/2” barrels - Sold

Archived