SASS Wire Forum

Remington: STS light target ordered, received Nitro 27 "Softer Recoil" instead

mgrosh

I ordered a 200 12ga shells of Remington STS light target from Lohman Arms last week.  It arrived today but they shipped me Nitro 27 "softer Recoil" instead.   I have not fired these before.   Both my son and I will be using these upcoming matches.   how is the recoil on these?   my Son an i use a Stoeger Coach SxS. 

What are the numbers on the box?  Velocity, shot weight, dram equiv. ?   I haven't heard of them, are they gold colored?

I googled and looks like 1 1/8 oz at 1235 fps, from some old posts.  So really not very soft recoil, but maybe somewhat softer than the normally heavier Nitros.  Good luck.

1235fps, 1 1/8oz

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=299501

Apparently they have a "softer recoil" then what they had with their previous, faster powder.  But still a fairly stout load for targets 8-10yds away.

Yeah, going to see if they can ship the correct shotshells i ordered.   just was trying to figure if i can make do with these (with my son shooting id rather he shoot something with less recoil then these).

Definitely wouldn't deal with Lohman Arms if this is how they treat their customers by substituting something the customer didn't order just to get the customers money.  Would be "Raising Cain" with their CEO!!!!!

That is not an appropriate substitution to make unilaterally.   With customer permission, perhaps.

Those will be stout loads for cowboy.

good luck, GJ

what i know of them is they are a little on the stouter side of what id consider middle of the road target loads - more for sporting than trap in my thinking , but that said the hulls are some of the preferred to reload , in todays world any shot shells are better than none and lots of folks are finding none , 

down the road i would seek out or reload lighter but these will get you through the year and provide reloading components to you or someone you know that will appreciate them , if you get what you ordered someone might want what you have , just my 2 cants 

It's not what you ordered. Contact the Lohman today and tell them that this is not an acceptable substitution and that you are not interested in substitutions. Request that they send you the material/labels/etc to ship the unwanted shells back to them. If they refuse to do any of this, call your credit card company and dispute the charges. 

13 hours ago, mgrosh said:

I ordered a 200 12ga shells of Remington STS light target from Lohman Arms last week.  It arrived today but they shipped me Nitro 27 "softer Recoil" instead.   I have not fired these before.   Both my son and I will be using these upcoming matches.   how is the recoil on these?   my Son an i use a Stoeger Coach SxS. 

As stated they are 1 1/8 oz load at 1235 FPS. The light targets are the same 1 1/8 oz at 1145, only 90 fps slower. I personally would not have any trouble shooting these, but again that's me. You might try and strike a deal with the seller for keeping them at a reduced cost and purchasing more of the Light Target for your son. It is going to cost them shipping them back and shipping you the correct item. Mistakes can happen on both sides of a transaction, try and make this one try your advantage.

The days of finding the Remington STS "MANAGED RECOIL" shells are gone :(   Those were so good!  There are other soft recoil loads though.  Winchester featherlights are good generally.  Baschieri & Pellagri make a good low recoil load

18 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

The days of finding the Remington STS "MANAGED RECOIL" shells are gone :(   Those were so good!  There are other soft recoil loads though.  Winchester featherlights are good generally.  Baschieri & Pellagri make a good low recoil load

Federal had a very good one, but they were always hard to find. I think one of the big pluses of them was they had high base cases. This made them a little heavier so shucking was less of a problem.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953268336

both of these fall within ATA regs , the 1145 are considered light and the 1235 are heavy , each have their use , as long as they are 71/2 or 8s they should work - lots of high schoolers here shoot trap with both , when you exceed the 1250 range your getting into hunting loads that are not acceptable , 

it would be great if you can get some light recoil 1oz or 7/8oz loads but i doubt you will find them right now , 

sorry this has happened to you - i think the suggestions on remedies above are worth pursuing , you should get what you ordered or communication/agreement  should have preceded substitution , givee them a chance to make it right , 

8 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Federal had a very good one, but they were always hard to find. I think one of the big pluses of them was they had high base cases. This made them a little heavier so shucking was less of a problem.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953268336

When I shoot smokeless loads I shoot these. Will knock down any shotgun target I have come across around here. They do have a little more felt recoil that the AA LNLR but just barely.  Unfortunately they are out of stock everywhere right now.

Federal Top Gun Extra Lite Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 7/8 oz #8 Shot Box of 25

Last ones I bought were from Rogers Sporting Goods.

Note: Federal has changed the construction of their Top Gun line. They now have brass washed steel heads vice the plain steel heads I have always bought. I haven't shot any of these with the new construction to know how they will shuck out of a SXS.

58 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

When I shoot smokeless loads I shoot these. Will knock down any shotgun target I have come across around here. They do have a little more felt recoil that the AA LNLR but just barely.  Unfortunately they are out of stock everywhere right now.

Note: Federal has changed the construction of their Top Gun line. They now have brass washed steel heads vice the plain steel heads I have always bought. I haven't shot any of these with the new construction to know how they will shuck out of a SXS.

Your example pushes a 7/8 oz load at 1200 FPS. Mine is a full 1 1/8 oz load at 900 FPS. Side by side I don't know which one would kick more. Too much physics for this old brain.:unsure:

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I used to shoot these Federals too.  They were readily available at WalMart and reasonably priced.  They always came out of my shotgun flying.

Once they changed the base to that brushed look, they started hanging up in my chambers.  The new softer base expanded to the point that I had to pull the shells out.  I gave that case away.  They seemed to work in the 97s or 87s, but not the side by sides.

Luckily I had already bought several cases of the older style.  I am still shooting them at the monthly matches.  I bought some cases of the Winchester AA LNLR and a couple cases of the Remington STSs last Fall.  I haven't broke into those as yet.

Archived