SASS Wire Forum

Lazy Reloading

Dusty Morningwood

So I was sitting down to load up some fresh CAS ammo for a new to me .44-40 1875 Remington copy.  Since I have been shooting my muzzleloaders a lot lately, I said screw the scale and just loaded 30 grains volume of FFFG using a drop tube.  Created a stacked charge that needed only about 1/16" to compress under my Big Lube bullet.  Anyone else just dispense with scales for cowboy loads? Pic of pistol just because.

IMG_1747.jpg

Sorry, I beg to differ, that's not "lazy' reloading; whether you measure via weight or volume, you're using a "scale" to load a known amount of powder!

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

Sorry, I beg to differ, that's not "lazy' reloading; whether you measure via weight or volume, you're using a "scale" to load a known amount of powder!

Thanks!  I feel much better about myself now.  LOL!!!:lol:

I use Lee dippers for 95% of my loads.  I choose my powders based on loads that work well with the dippers.  This is the only issue that I have with the otherwise great Titegroup.

I do dip ten loads onto a scale to get a real average of a dipper/powder combination.  I do not just follow a chart.

Black powder really NEEDS to be dispensed to a volume, not a weight.  The amount of compression affects it's burn and resulting accuracy.  I never weigh my individual charges in .44-40 or .45 Colt or .45-70 with black.  

And only weigh individual smokeless charges for smokeless powder for high-precision rifle loads.  Other smokeless reloading is done on progressive loaders after setting the measure to drop the weight desired, on average.

good luck, GJ

4 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Black powder really NEEDS to be dispensed to a volume, not a weight.  The amount of compression affects it's burn and resulting accuracy.  I never weigh my individual charges in .44-40 or .45 Colt or .45-70 with black.  

And only weigh individual smokeless charges for smokeless powder for high-precision rifle loads.  Other smokeless reloading is done on progressive loaders after setting the measure to drop the weight desired, on average.

good luck, GJ

You would cringe that I have no idea, other than the Dillon dropping powder to the seat of the bullet, on what bp (sub) I have.

Shanley set the measure, and I just eyeball it!:rolleyes:

I load true black on a progressive press. I have a powder hopper that's set to 18 grains by volume for powder and one set to fill up the case with crushed walnut as my filler. Haven't checked them since I set them up a couple years ago. 

I never turn on the scale when loading BP.  I loaded 150 rounds of 44-40 on the 550 today, using Goex 2F & virgin brass (getting ready for EoT).  Set the powder measure so that it filled the case to about 3/16" below the case mouth.  With 200 gn big lube bullets, that gives about 1/8" of an inch of compression.

Holler

Before CAS I shot long range BPCR matches.  Been awhile.  It was all very OCD, with tightly trimmed and indexed brass, bullets within a couple of grains, etc.  SO when I started CAS all of my loading was done with the same and apparently unnecessary precision.  None of my presses ever had powder dispensers.  Now I am down to a single stage press and look at the process as therapy.

I've never weighed Black Powder or substitutes for anything; ML, C&B, or Cartridge.  Just set it for the compression I want.  I have no idea how much it really weighs.

For smokeless I weigh charges until my Lee powder measure throws the right amount, then I just load them up until I'm done.

I use a Lyman Black Powder Measure and a Drop-tube for cartridges and Goex 3F 

For shotshells I used an adjustable charge bar on my MEC loaders ... Using the Same Powder as Above ....

Jabez Cowboy

I load my 44-40 on a dillon 550 with Goex 2f pretty much fill the case top off with a 200 gr big lube bullet..Shotgun is loaded on  mec jr also 2f. I use a square load 1oz of shot and equal amount of powder. For my ROA'S I load 25 gr of goex 3f. I preload tubes using  Lyman bp measure. I think the dipper would be 1.6 but dont quote me on that.

Hochbauer

I thought lazy reloading was cap and ball... no brass prep, no primer pocket care, no annealing, no fancy casting alloys,

Archived