SASS Wire Forum

One of my favorite WW2 planes...

Utah Bob #35998

I saw that this morning. Darn good piloting there. Not a normal day at the beach for everyone.

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Hope they get it out of the water before the surf starts breaking it up. 

Surf in Florida only comes with a storm. Teeny waves is what we get. :D

Great landing!  Hope they get it out of the water and hosed down to get the salt water off it.  Of course, if we could desalinate Space Shuttle SRB's, and reuse them, this shouldn't be too difficult a task...just expensive! 

16 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Saw one at Planes of Fame and was surprised at how BIG that thing is.  Isn't that what GHW Bush was shot down in?

Biggest single engine plane of WW2

These planes are worth millions, and you can be sure the owner had it insured. The only time planes like this aren't restored again is when the crash destroys the airframe completely. It'll probably need a complete teardown though.

And just to think, the Navy used to dump these planes into the ocean by the hundreds back when they were surplus to their needs.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I don't know.  The Russians had a humongous metal  bi-wing single engine monster.  I think it would be a toss up.  I don't recall the name but Planes of Fame had one of those too.

29 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I don't know.  The Russians had a humongous metal  bi-wing single engine monster.  I think it would be a toss up.  I don't recall the name but Planes of Fame had one of those too.

Antonov AN2. Introduced in 1949 though.

92C8EE0F-1241-487E-B397-773D5F0B1887.jpeg

21 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Ah, but those Germans... and this was a WWI plane! Four engines, but only one prop.

According to Google -

The Linke-Hofmann R.II bomber was built in 1917, and remains the largest single propeller plane ever flown. That propeller is over 22 1/2 feet long. Most WWI fighters were less than that. The Sopwith Camel, for instance, was 18 feet 9 inches long. The R.II's prop was spun by four Mercedes 6 cylinder engines, and turned at only 545 rpm. It had a wingspan of 138 1/2 feet, nearly half a football field, a length of 67 feet, and weighed 18,000+ pounds empty - four times what the TBM weighed. Only 2 were built before the war ended.

BigPlane.jpg

1 hour ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Any link to the recovery video?:blush:

Go to YouTube and search "Cocoa Beach TBM recovery" - lots of videos of the recovery.

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

There are some who would say that WW2 never really ended. Technically WW2 was just a continuation of WW1 as well.

Well I would agree that WWII was a continuation of the first one. But WW2 definitely ended. The players changed significantly, the defeated countries were rebuilt due to the lessons learned from WWI. It became a whole new ball game in 45. 

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well I would agree that WWII was a continuation of the first one. But WW2 definitely ended. The players changed significantly, the defeated countries were rebuilt due to the lessons learned from WWI. It became a whole new ball game in 45. 

And we have not truly fought, nonetheless won a "war" since 1945.  

We have a cease fire in Korea, still violated regularly by NK.  W ran out on our allies in Vietnam.  

The whole middle East is one continuous (for well over five hundred years) screwed up mess.....and the list goes on. 

And none of this addresses the War on Poverty, War on Drugs,  War on Crime, and any other so called WAR!!! 

Archived