SASS Wire Forum

CCW

Whiskey Hicks

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I hope you never need your CCW except as wallet thickener. ;)

Between the course, a new gun, the rounds I’ve spent practicing, and the gunsmithing work for a new dovetail, it’s all helped my wallet lose weight!

Your scores reminded me of when I took my pilots license test.

I got a 98 on the written test.

I asked what question did I miss so I can read up on it.

The examiner said, "Oh, you didn't miss any questions. But there are NO perfect pilots so you where dock 2 points for signing your name and taking the test."

41 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

In AZ you must get 100% on the written test and then pass the range test.

kR

Airzona CCW test:

1.  what is your name?

2. what is your age?

Each question is worth 57 points!

:lol:

(sorri Kid, I just couldn't resist) ;)

..........Widder

When I lived in Oregon I got my CHL (concealed handgun license) and at the same time I got an out of state Arizona CCW and a Utah CCW to cover me in state reciprocity. 

I don’t remember missing any of the written test questions and I actually don’t remember how hard the tests were. Odd. 

After going through all of that I never visited any state except Oregon, Washington and California. Washington would not honor my Oregon permit but would my Utah permit. California recognizes no out state permits. 
I did fly to Boston once but it was for work. I didn’t take a gun so no gun worked there. I had my trusty 1.9” knife to protect me...:blink::lol:

I haven’t even bothered to try and get a CCW here in Granola Land. When I moved here the permit process in my county was on hold. It seems the Sheriff was too fast and loose with issuing permits do the State OAG was evaluating the process. Once everything got ironed out the process began again. Before CoVid the wait time from start to end to get a permit was 2 years. Since CoVid, I have no idea. Not even going to bother. 

In a couple of years I will either be living in Arizona or West Texas. Maybe I will have some freedom then. 

When we were renovating the family house in San Diego, I picked up a 3" SP101 at a LGS.
He told me don't even bother thinking about a CCW, because they are Unobtanium in San Diego, LA, Fresno, Bay Area, etc.

On the flip side, our Sheriff in Sacramento has been absolutely CCW friendly.

There is no test in Georgia, so other than how others are responding I have no idea what those scores mean.

I had a former HS student, now Atlanta PD come to me a few years back worried he would fail his certification test.  He had been in a shootout and dumped an entire mag from his Glock without getting a single hit.  When he told me the certification requirements and the amount of time they had I was left wondering what the heck, how do you not pass that and how do you dump 15-17 rounds into a car at close range and not get a single hit?

9 minutes ago, bgavin said:

When we were renovating the family house in San Diego, I picked up a 3" SP101 at a LGS.
He told me don't even bother thinking about a CCW, because they are Unobtanium in San Diego, LA, Fresno, Bay Area, etc.

On the flip side, our Sheriff in Sacramento has been absolutely CCW friendly.

I go one in Lassen Co in the late 80’s . I remember you had to list the guns you might carry on your permit. Mine said see other side :) 

8 minutes ago, bgavin said:

One of my lodge brothers is a longtime SASS shooter and CCW holder.
IIRC, he mentioned a current CCW here lets you list three on the card.

They must have decided to limit it , I remember I even put my Colt woodsman and Browning buck mark on it . 
In Mi there’s no requirement to list what gun your carrying . In Mi they also have a law that any rifle under 26” is a pistol, so just about anything with a folding stock is considered a pistol . Unfortunately in Mi that means you have to register it as a handgun but it also means it can be a concealed carry gun . In Mi it’s a concealed pistol license  

16 minutes ago, bgavin said:

One of my lodge brothers is a longtime SASS shooter and CCW holder.
IIRC, he mentioned a current CCW here lets you list three on the card.

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

They must have decided to limit it , I remember I even put my Colt woodsman and Browning buck mark on it . 
In Mi there’s no requirement to list what gun your carrying . In Mi they also have a law that any rifle under 26” is a pistol, so just about anything with a folding stock is considered a pistol . Unfortunately in Mi that means you have to register it as a handgun but it also means it can be a concealed carry gun . In Mi it’s a concealed pistol license  

In Orange County they list each gun you wish to carry on the permit but you can have as many as you like, but you have to pay $25 per gun and qualify at the range with each gun. I am not sure if you get the first three with your initial permit or if it’s $25 per gun for each gun beyond one. To qualify with the first gun one must competently fire 75 rounds. For each gun after the qualification is 24 or 25 rounds. 

At present in Tennessee, our permits are easy to obtain and are for both concealed and open.

BUT, the Governor is about to sign a bill that we no longer will have to have a permit for

carry.   I think it's called 'Constitutional Law'.

..........Widder

The only test I've ever had to get a concealed carry permit in Alabama was when the lady I handed my $20 bill to held it up to the light to check the watermark and the security stripe on the bill.:P

Before they went to an electronic process, getting a permit took about a week for them to run the background check and renewals- Alabama permits had to be renewed annually until very recently- meant going down to the Sheriff's office and waiting in line.  My shortest time was 20 minutes from when I got out of the truck until I got back in on a renewal (there was nobody in line that time) with the longest being 45 minutes (I had a couple folks in line ahead of me).

Now that it's all online, permits and renewals take about 30 days (but you can renew for up to 5 years at a time now).  The County farmed it out to a 3rd party and they aren't in any kind of hurry.  There's also been an explosion of new permit applications (which is why they farmed it out).  Alabama has the highest percentage of permit holders in the country and most of them are relatively new holders.

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

At present in Tennessee, our permits are easy to obtain and are for both concealed and open.

BUT, the Governor is about to sign a bill that we no longer will have to have a permit for

carry.   I think it's called 'Constitutional Law'.

..........Widder

He signed it. Goes into effect on July 1st IIRC.

It is called "Constitutional Carry." It really isn't since it is not in the constitution, it is legislative carry. Or more accurately, permit-less carry. But common usage is calling this constitutional carry in the states with similar laws.

And it applies to all persons in Tennessee, not just residents here. It is carry (no legal distinction between open and concealed).

Well, not all persons... If only it was really simple... Here is where Tennessee is at today:

Tennessee also has two permits, a carry permit and a concealed carry permit.

The enhanced (new name for the old) carry permit (open or concealed) requires an 8 hour class. In addition to the instruction, the class includes a 50 question test and a 50 round live-fire qualification. Passing score for both is 70%. And money to the state, and fingerprints, and local Sheriff notification.

The concealed only (new) permit is for concealed carry only, the class is a couple of hours, can be done online, has no written test, and no live fire qualification. A little less money to the state, but the rest applies.

The Sheriff has 30 days to deny a permit for cause, can "approve" at any time, and if not approved or denied, is automatically approved after 30 days. And a NICS check and TBI check and they do something with the fingerprints other than simply file them.

The enhanced permit is required for employees of higher education who wish to carry on the job (concealed only) and similar response teams. It is honored by Nebraska, North Dakota, and a number of other states.

The concealed only permit is honored by the number of other states. In that number of other states are about a dozen states which do not require a permit for a person to carry.

I expected about a half dozen states to not honor the new permit as those states do not honor permits with less than 8 hours of training... But CoViD, so those states did not answer Tennessee's request so apparently existing reciprocity stands. Nebraska and North Dakota did respond to the query, stating the would only honor the enhanced permit.

At this time, and I am awaiting clarification, it does seem that a permit is required to carry in parks, greenways, and other public recreation areas. This might be a pending "gotcha" for permit-less carry. It also may be a legislative oversight... Which will stand for a year until it can be corrected in the next session.

Also, to carry without a permit, a carrier must (other than residency) be able to qualify for a Tennessee permit. That is stricter than the qualifications to purchase a firearm (NICS check). For instance, a DUI or two can disqualify a carrier for a permit for a period of time even though it does not disqualify a citizen from purchasing a firearm. Also, loss of gun rights in any other state is a disqualification for a permit here, even if it is not a disqualification for NICS.

Also, Tennessee will issue permits to 18+ year old residents in military service or honorably discharged. For those carriers, some states only honor 21 or older... And a few states do not honor Tennessee permits because we do issue those permits for under 21. While these carriers can not purchase a firearm (NICS), their parents can gift them one if they are not prohibited themselves.

In any case, all forms of carry here apply to handguns, not rifles. There are separate laws for rifles and shotguns in public.

Knowing Tennessee and the history of carry here (from none for many years to permit-less this summer), the only real surprise to me is that permit-less is not restricted to open carry only. The new concealed only permit seemed to be setting the stage for that outcome but the latest previous legislation was sidelined last session due to CoViD.

Not exactly simple and clear, but far more sensible and understandable than Glock model numbers.

Here in ohio, i never took any test as i am a vet. They hand them out to vets free, with no training or test required. My wife had to do a two day class and hit a target a few times. Class has been reduced to 1 day since then. 

I had carried everyday for 30-40 years without one, using my god given right to defend myself whether the government liked it or not,,,,. I finally got the ohio ccw just to help increase the number of ohio citizens that were “gun positive” on record.

I believe the more people that show they want to carry, or do carry, effects how gun owners will be treated. It is time to stand up and be counted.

I got mine here in Ohio in 2004, the first year CCW passed. We had an "open book" test. I got 100%, I also helped the instructor guide watch some folks on the shooting part of it. He was a cowboy shooter so about 6 of us in the class shot with him. I got 100% on the shooting too! Yippee!

17 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I got mine here in Ohio in 2004, the first year CCW passed. We had an "open book" test. I got 100%, I also helped the instructor guide watch some folks on the shooting part of it. He was a cowboy shooter so about 6 of us in the class shot with him. I got 100% on the shooting too! Yippee!

I definitely rushed through certain things I could have done better on. I’m learning that I’m my worst flaw when I’m nervous.

Here in MS we have 2 types (levels) of CCW, standard and enhanced.  The enhanced requires an 8 hour course and shooting qualification.  With the enhanced it’s legal to carry anywhere the police are including into a courthouse (just not in the courtroom), an airport up to the TSA screening, any restaurant or bar.  If the business displays “no gun” signage it is still legal to carry into the business but you must leave if asked.  No permit required for open carry.

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Here in MS we have 2 types (levels) of CCW, standard and enhanced.  The enhanced requires an 8 hour course and shooting qualification.  With the enhanced it’s legal to carry anywhere the police are including into a courthouse (just not in the courtroom), an airport up to the TSA screening, any restaurant or bar.  If the business displays “no gun” signage it is still legal to carry into the business but you must leave if asked.  No permit required for open carry.

Tequila,

If you are in a restaurant or bar and have been ask to leave, does that only apply if the owner/manager has 

ask you to leave.

Or, if ANYONE ask you to leave?      Just curious.

..........Widder

Washington State is a "shall issue" state, so we fill out the form, take fingerprints, pays you money, and 30 days later you get your permit,

unless you fail the background check.  We can renew every 5 years.

Also have the Utah permit, which required classroom time, and either a shooting evaluation or membership in some form of organized

competition.  It too is renewed every 5 years.

Still want to get the Oregon permit, and with that trifecta I'm covered (by reciprocity) for most anywhere I would willingly go.

Shadow Catcher

A hint for California, if it has not been closed out as an option...

Any sheriff of a county can approve a permit. The law does not specify it has to be your county...

Do a little digging, some counties are more supportive than others.

8 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

A hint for California, if it has not been closed out as an option...

Any sheriff of a county can approve a permit. The law does not specify it has to be your county...

Do a little digging, some counties are more supportive than others.

Maybe things have changed since I left, but the sheriff depts that issued permits (pre-covid), rejected non-resident applications.  

On 4/18/2021 at 2:02 AM, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Your scores reminded me of when I took my pilots license test.

I got a 98 on the written test.

I asked what question did I miss so I can read up on it.

The examiner said, "Oh, you didn't miss any questions. But there are NO perfect pilots so you where dock 2 points for signing your name and taking the test."

I don't even remember what I got on the written. I know I passed though! 

19 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The Oregon permit is hard to get if you're out of state. Supposedly if you apply to one of the small-town sheriffs they'll let it go through, but for the most part if you're not a resident you're out of luck.

That's the same thing I've heard, but I know several Washington residents who easily did this, and as you indicated, it's by going to a smaller town further east than Portland.

Next time I plan a multiday trip there ( this summer) I'm probably going to go through the process.

SC

Archived