SASS Wire Forum

See You in June, NICS!

Palouse

This afternoon, I stopped at the FFL holder to "pick up" a Uberti sold to me by a SASS Wire pard.  The shipment to the FFL holder from my pard had arrived.  I filled out the paperwork, waited for the NICS check to complete, and was told by the shop owner, "You are number 5,016."

Me: "Say again?"

Owner:  "Yes, number 5,016 in line, according to the NICS system."  <checks a paper schedule on the wall>, "... and it (NICS check approval) should be back by June 1.  I'll give you a call then."

I bought a used revolver on Thursday, April 8, and my paperwork cleared in less than five minutes.

Of course that was a few shootings and executive orders ago...

:ph34r:

NICS checks expire in 30 days.  How can the FBI guys make you wait till June?

I never heard of anything like this.

I have a Georgia Carry License which means they can write down the license info instead and not have to make the call, but I've bought several guns recently, both from a gun store and some shipped to a local gunsmith who's my "ship to FFL" and in both cases saw other people buy and pick up guns that did take a call, and they were out the door in a few minutes.

If you have an OR CHL, I've both heard and experienced almost instantaneous clearance.

Oregon background checks go through the OSP.
Last word was that their system has been overwhelmed by the massive increase in firearms purchases, as well as staffing shortages.

In my state my CCW # goes on the 4473 instead of a call to NICS.  Out the door in less than 10 minutes with the gun for the entire transaction. That's the way it should be everywhere.

What the dealer told you makes no sense. In January of this year the NICS processed 4.1 million checks. So even if you were the five thousandth person in line it would take less than an hour since they were clearly able to process at least 5500 an hour in January.

3 minutes ago, Colonel Kraken said:

What the dealer told you makes no sense. In January of this year the NICS processed 4.1 million checks. So even if you were the five thousandth person in line it would take less than an hour since they were clearly able to process at least 5500 an hour in January.

If he's in OREGON, this is the "system" he's dealing with:

Oregon State Police : Firearms Instant Check System (FICS) : Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) : State of Oregon

18 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Wow! That's insane. What a horrible system if it takes a month and a half to process five thousand background checks. That's what you would expect when people used computer punch cards and index files.

Ohio with a CCL there’s no need to call it in. If you don’t have a CCL they do it online in less than 5 minutes!

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

In my state my CCW # goes on the 4473 instead of a call to NICS.  Out the door in less than 10 minutes with the gun for the entire transaction. That's the way it should be everywhere.

Yup, same here in Georgia.

But as I mentioned, I've picked up guns both at the gun store and a local gunsmith I use for shipments and seen others there without a carry license and they were cleared on the phone. Took a few minutes longer than for me but really just a few minutes.

4 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

So this is a state of Oregon thing?  The federal NICS isn't the hold up?

9 hours ago, Tennessee Red said:

So this is a state of Oregon thing?  The federal NICS isn't the hold up?

That is what I am seeing.:ph34r:

When you look at the link PW supplied, the disclaimer says " blah, blah, blah, the one system is ALL they will be using blah, blah, blah." 

So no call in's I assume.

OR seems to have gone to the Twilight Zone.

Sad.

Hmmmm?  Picked up an 1875 Remmy copy from my FFL sold to me by a SASS pard on Friday.  In and out.  Easy Breezy.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

That is what I am seeing.:ph34r:

When you look at the link PW supplied, the disclaimer says " blah, blah, blah, the one system is ALL they will be using blah, blah, blah." 

So no call in's I assume.

OR seems to have gone to the Twilight Zone.

Sad.

Right there next to Maryland in the twilight zone.  Maryland has its own system that queries something like 10 different databases, and then they do the NICS check to boot.  This is after having already had to get an HQL (Handgun Qualification License) that checks exactly the same databases, and get a certificate of training.  Note that the HQL is NOT a CCW permit.  In Maryland CCW permits are rarer than hens teeth.

Dealers in Maryland almost never release the firearm be for the "Not Disapproved" comes back, even if it takes 30 or more days.

This is not a gun friendly State, more like gun hostile.

16 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

In Oregon.  What PWB said.  I thought shop called it in, but owner is at desk in back room so used FICS online.. I've waited up to a day in previous transfers  using the same shop, but I did not bother to research the details, or potential impact before now. 

Fate, telling me to stick with C&B. (And complete the move to Idaho.)

17 hours ago, Palouse said:

In Oregon.  What PWB said.  I thought shop called it in, but owner is at desk in back room so used FICS online.. I've waited up to a day in previous transfers  using the same shop, but I did not bother to research the details, or potential impact before now. 

Fate, telling me to stick with C&B. (And complete the move to Idaho.)

I almost moved to Idaho. Not going has always been one of my regrets. Still think it would be a great place to live 

20 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Right there next to Maryland in the twilight zone.  Maryland has its own system that queries something like 10 different databases, and then they do the NICS check to boot.  This is after having already had to get an HQL (Handgun Qualification License) that checks exactly the same databases, and get a certificate of training.  Note that the HQL is NOT a CCW permit.  In Maryland CCW permits are rarer than hens teeth.

Dealers in Maryland almost never release the firearm be for the "Not Disapproved" comes back, even if it takes 30 or more days.

This is not a gun friendly State, more like gun hostile.

Bureaucracy at its finest! VOTE THEM OUT!!! Lived in Idaho while in the AF; LOVED it! I do hear the Kalifornians are movin in tho. Sad.

Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful place too... without all the "Kalifornians"!

I was going to quote Colonel Kraken, but it auto corrected to Colonel Karen and I laughed so hard I couldn't remember what I was gonna say.

I'm sure it was something along the lines of my usual rant about having wait periods after repeated firearm purchases or some such.

On 4/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, Colonel Kraken said:

Wow! That's insane. What a horrible system if it takes a month and a half to process five thousand background checks. That's what you would expect when people used computer punch cards and index files.

Those would be faster.  They obviously have spinster librarians doing physical searches of index cards and file drawers, and they're short-staffed because spinster librarians are hard to find in Liberalsville.  Nothing computerized could be that slow.

3 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Bureaucracy at its finest! VOTE THEM OUT!!! Lived in Idaho while in the AF; LOVED it! I do hear the Kalifornians are movin in tho. Sad.

Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful place too... without all the "Kalifornians"!

VOTE THEM OUT!!  I would laugh, but then I'd cry.  Maryland has to be the most manipulated state as far as elections go, and they did it by gerrymandering the districts.  Never hear about that in the news, ever wonder why?  Just check out the Map.  They carved all of the conservative areas into little pieces and married them with extremely liberal, densely populated areas.  Heck, even Rorschach wasn't that high when he created his inkblots! :P

Maryland_Congressional_Map.png?151647966

Archived