SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Schofield issue

Johnny Dollar

My brother came over with his Schofield.  When the hammer is down you can turn the cylinder by hand with a little force in one direction.  Not both.    When cocked the cylinder won’t move....  it’s only when hammer down.    I’m very familiar with other single actions, double actions and semi autos but have never worked on a Schofield before.   It sounds to me like a bolt or bolt spring problem.  I took both out to check.  The spring seems ok.  I checked the bolt to see if it was bent or worn.  I think the problem is more the bolt then the spring... but just to check I gave the spring a slight bend to give it more tension.  That resulted in a bit to much as the bolt wouldn’t retract enough to clear the bolt slots in the cylinder.   I tried backing off of the spring a very small amount.  That helped but we are back to the cylinders being able to be turned but not as bad as before.  
I guess my question is has anyone had a similar issue with a Schofield before and did a new bolt fix it? Or is there something about a Schofield that I’m missing? 
thanks! 

Archived