SASS Wire Forum

Watching Prince Philip’s funeral

Utah Bob #35998

• Utah Bob #35998 changed the title to Watching Prince Philip’s funeral

A lot better than watching the wedding's.

1 hour ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Why watch it?

Why not. I am not a fan of the Royal family. I couldn’t care less about the inner workings of the palace or what Meghan and Harry think about anything. 
But Philip was a combat veteran  and from what I can tell a good husband, father and grandfather. I watched it out of respect and appreciation.

1 hour ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Why watch it?

Like it or not he was a major player on the world stage for over half a century. 

More than that, as has been pointed out,  he was a combat vet, devoted husband and father, and, from what I've read about him, an all around decent person.   The world is lessened with his passing.

Then there are some of us who enjoy watching well done ceremony and pageantry.  Gives a sense of continuance and stability to things.

We watched it.

Our flag flew at half mast all week, until sundown today.

He was Colonel in Chief of my regiment, The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, and I was privileged to have shaken his hand on two occasions.

I am concerned about the continued health of Her Majesty.

His war service was extremely commendable. I appreciated the navy hat and sword on his coffin. Very appropriate. 

The British know how to conduct state funerals as they have been doing it for quite a while.

1 hour ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

The British know how to conduct state funerals as they have been doing it for quite a while.

At his request, not a state funeral. But they went pretty far. I wonder what they did not do that made or not a state funeral.

The Queen is looking pretty frail, I wouldn't be surprised if she turned  over the Throne to Charles before the end of this year.  Just a guessin' mind you.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

The Queen is looking pretty frail, I wouldn't be surprised if she turned  over the Throne to Charles before the end of this year.  Just a guessin' mind you.

You’re guessing and Charles is hoping.

20 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Up until recently I kinda figured that the Queen would get Charles to abdicate and it would pass to Prince William.

12 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:
On 4/17/2021 at 11:25 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

At his request, not a state funeral. But they went pretty far. I wonder what they did not do that made it not a state funeral.

https://www.insider.com/prince-philip-did-not-have-a-state-funeral-2021-4

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Up until recently I kinda figured that the Queen would get Charles to abdicate and it would pass to Prince William.

The Queen publically stated about 2 yrs ago that Charles would succeed her.  There are people that would rather that the throne be turned over to William but, it's not in the cards.

Archived