SASS Wire Forum

new concept for me.

I have a couple of guys coming next week to install heavy duty security screens a bars on my den window.  

Two weeks after that another team is coming to install a security door with double armory dead bolt locks on the inside door to the room.   They will put in a monitored alarm before they finish.

I have already put expanded steel sheeting in two of the interior walls, the other one is inaccessible and the exterior wall is nearly so.  I may add some security there later.

I'm looking into a fire suppression system, but haven't found one yet.

I already have my two large gun safes sold and the money I got almost pays for the modification still to be done.

When I am done I'll have a 13' x 14' gun room as secure as almost anyone in town and it will be a paneled, well lighted, furnished, comfortable lair.

I've been planning this and squirreling money away since we mover here nearly seven years ago.

Simple fire suppression is as used in marine engine rooms. Self contained. I saw where one fellow also hooked it up to his alarm. Intruders are covered in foam.....

4 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Forty Rod,

All thats missing is comfy chair and a fridge for the cold drinks!

Got a comfy recliner and a two seat wide couch.  Small fridge will be decorated as an ammo crate / end table.  The old closet is now a built in desk with a roll out desk chair.

Forty, whatever fire suppression you pick make sure it fires a non-corrosive agent. Also, even though Rancho Roy’s comment is humorous you wouldn’t want to accidentally set off your fire suppression due to an accidental activation of your security system. 

20 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have already put expanded steel sheeting in two of the interior walls

Just want to make sure that we are thinking of the same thing.

0710-e1504924111931.jpg

This stuff will make your stud-and-sheetrock wall more secure?

I'll second JD's request, we'd like pictures of the finished room.

Irish Tom

I don’t need pics. But some of the criminals on the internet might. So don’t bother. I have it in my mind’s eye. ;)

22 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS You told me it was a nice place to live. :(

It is. But there is no such thing as a, “that couldn’t happen here” completely safe place. Nowhere. 

On 4/17/2021 at 9:42 AM, bgavin said:

The combination for my safe is easy to get:  stick a 38 in my ear, or my wife's ear.. they get the combination.

Are there safes you can program for an intruder combination that will provide a stunning shock to the intruder?

ive had involvement with walk in bank vaults , ive worked with some on gun rooms , so i get what your going for on a residential scale - if your going to panel and have furniture within the fire suppression is imperative and non-corrosive preferred , your planning for worst case and need to look at what is most likely , 

love the fact your doing this - sad we need to , but things have changed since we used to hang them over the front door/fireplace/dining room , or my bedroom wall , 

Archived