SASS Wire Forum

Classic Bolt-Action Rimfires

Specifically, the venerable Winchester Model 52.  They don't make 'em anymore; production ceased in 1980, when U S Repeating Arms took over Winchester production.

I can't believe that I didn't know until this morning that Miroku makes 'em for Browning!  Or did... I can't tell if they still do or not.

So - anyone have any experience with the Miroku/Browning?  Comparable to the original Winchesters?  

Background:  Well into my junior year in high school we moved from Dallas to California, and I found myself in a school in Oakland.  A very ROUGH school (oh hell, a HORRIBLE school), but that's beside the point.

Anyway, I had been in JROTC in Dallas, and fortunately the "new" school had an active program.  Unfortunately, as the "new guy" I was pretty much given the scut jobs - including cleaning up the indoor range after marksmanship practice and matches.  I was not allowed to participate in the marksmanship practice, of course - that was reserved for the elite few on the rifle team.  I didn't mind; at least I got to hang out in the range.  

One afternoon toward the end of the school year I was surprised when the team captain - a graduating senior - turned to the commandant and said "Sergeant Dean!  Think we should let the new guy try shooting, just for the fun of it?"

Well, Sgt Dean was evidently feeling magnanimous, and said "Sure.  Hang a target and set 'im up."

Target hung, ammunition block ready, I was handed a Remington 40X and the team captain gave me basic instruction on shooting the rifle.  "Just shoot five shots at the top middle target," I was told.  When I asked if I could use a shooting jacket and glove, the captain said "Naw... just shoot it.  This is just for fun."

Okay.  I did.  The target was retrieved; the team captain studied it a moment then showed it to Sgt Dean.

"Might be a fluke.  Hang another target," the Commandant directed.

This time, I was instructed to put one round into each of the ten outer bulls.  I did.  Simple stuff... as Jethro Bodine would've said, the target wasn't even moving - and I'd grown up shooting.  

The target was retrieved and scored.

"Sergeant Dean - he just shot an 89 offhand, no jacket, no glove, no palm rest, no butt hook... just bare-handed offhand, first rattle outta the box."

The upshot (pun unintended) is that I was invited to join the team.  My senior year our team won the equivalent of the "league championship," I was the team's high scorer, and second highest in the greater Bay Area.

The fun stuff:  At the beginning of the school year I was "issued" a shooting jacket, gloves, Wilson "Sound Barrier" muffs... and a Model 52C Winchester with a leather sling. 

The rifle had a heavy barrel, blockish stock with a palm rest track and adjustable hooked butt-plate, Redfield Olympic rear sight with "Hadley" type adjustable eyecup, and a globe front sight.  I eschewed the telescoping palm rest, and literally taped a wooden rest I'd carved myself to the stock - ugly, but effective.  Surprisingly, our new shooting coach, Sgt Rollins, was more than happy to let me do pretty much what I wanted.

I just loved that rifle!  Ever since then I've craved a Model 52.  It's never happened, but maybe some day...  :blush:

C31658F__18039.1608141651.jpg?c=2

I understand the yearning.  I made do with a Remington 513-T on our rifle team.  Not a bad rifle, just not the same as the 52s the rich kids had. (We owned our own).  I could afford a 52 now but I don’t compete and it’s a rifle that should be used, not looked at.

I think.

7 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I understand the yearning.  I made do with a Remington 513-T on our rifle team.  Not a bad rifle, just not the same as the 52s the rich kids had. (We owned our own).  I could afford a 52 now but I don’t compete and it’s a rifle that should be used, not looked at.

I think.

Oh, I have no doubt that you'd shoot it...!  Mebbe not as much as "back when," and maybe not competitively, but you'd shoot it.  And admire it and love it and keep it well fed and give it a loving home...  :lol:

Bein' an old retired curmudgeon, it'd be hard to justify the price if I did find one... but I'd sure as heck consider it.  ^_^

I'm a single shot guy but I finally bought a bolt action .22 rimfire several years ago. It is a Savage Mark II and is very accurate with CCI ammo. My daughter and I competed together with her Marlin model 925R and at 50 yards we tied with a score of 94 out of 100 with the same ammo. :)

I hadn't read about the 52 until this post; sounds like a really iconic rifle.

In my own case, I wanted to buy a bolt-action .22 so about 6 months ago I bought the CZ 457 Lux, which my research showed as a rifle of a high reputation. Love that gun and have been shooting it a lot.

I've owned Miroku made shotguns and shot Miroku made A-bolts, would have zero reservations if I found another Miroku firearm.  These are top quality production guns, not like the crappy Japan made stamped toys as kids.

If price has prevented you, look into the H&R reboot.  It shoots well with the stock that might have been made from a 2x4.  H&R m12 is based on the 52 and affordable, $300-350 here.

Hardpan, I just checked Armslist California. There are no Win 52’s listed for sale. :(

I did find that idiocy pricing is still a thing. Taurus revolvers $900? A Rossi craptastic .38 special for $800? Good Gawd...

I sold my model 52 heavy barrel two weeks ago, now I’m missing it.

I have a 1954 "Sporter" Winchester 52.......Amazing story on how I bought it a few years ago for $550.......Have been offered thousands for it! Like new condition with a number of factory options.....

https://images108.fotki.com/v156/photos/2/36012/9511925/DSC_5000-vi.jpg

https://images41.fotki.com/v1635/photos/2/36012/9511925/DSC_2317-vi.jpg

https://images20.fotki.com/v1666/photos/2/36012/9511925/DSC_2330-vi.jpg

When my kids were in the 4H rifle program they had several types of .22s for the kids to shoot. Among them were several 52s. As I knew the instructors I asked to take all the guns home one or two at a time. I was told to leave the 52s because they were shot out or broken. I took those last and spent weeks just cleaning them. There was so much lead in the barrels that they looked like smoothbores! I soaked and soaked and brushed and soaked...... It looked like tinsel coming out of the barrels. Long story short, they all shot beautifully! Heavy well made guns. I would have loved to have had time to work on the stocks more too. Grimey.

The shooters here are shedding their old 52's and buying Vudu's, Savages, CZ's, and Bergara trainers.  I'll just have to stick to my Ruger 77/22 and Mossberg 320.  Can't see well enough to get past MOB   (Minute of bean can} at 25 yds anyway.

Those are good stories....lets hear more.

I have a 1999 Ruger M77/22 in stainless synthetic boat-paddle.
The stock is just plain butt-ugly.

It came with the factory F150T trigger... the one that requires an F150 and Tow chain to pull it...
A Volquartzen sear kit was pure magic for correcting this awful trigger.

Today, it shoots well.
But is still butt-ugly.

51 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I have a 1999 Ruger M77/22 in stainless synthetic boat-paddle.
The stock is just plain butt-ugly.

It came with the factory F150T trigger... the one that requires an F150 and Tow chain to pull it...
A Volquartzen sear kit was pure magic for correcting this awful trigger.

Today, it shoots well.
But is still butt-ugly.

A buddy put a Basix trigger in my M77mkII. HUGE difference.

There were a number of different models of the Win 52.  The model  C had the best trigger.  I sold mine about 5 years ago to buy a new Anschutz. It definitely outshoots any of the 52's I've owned over the years.  The new Vudu's have a great reputation but they don't make a stock for competition. 

I'll stick with my Annies and Kidd Supergrades.

I shot NRA 100-meter prone rimfire matches 1992-1998.  Win 52 and Anschutz rifles ruled. 

CZ seems to be the choice for many shooters today.  I have not shot one but noticed how sharp rifling seemed to be compared to the older two models.

Pump fan here so I’m sticking with my Winchester 61 and 62, both nearly as old as I am.  Our group shoots matches totally off hand and with basic iron sights only so the pumps can more than hold their own against the ubiquitous 10/22s and other semi autos.  I imagine a 52 in the right hands could wreak havoc there!  

Seamus

I have three bolt .22s. A single shot Savage, a single shot Remington and a tube fed Remington. All my wife's grandfather's. When she says I have too many guns I offer to move them. ;)

When I was in high school the Navy had a small bore rifle team for the dependents.  We had these Springfield rifles that looked like an 03 Springfield.  Wonderful guns.  If I recall it was called an M2.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I have three bolt .22s. A single shot Stevens, a single shot Remington and a tube fed Remington. All my wife's grandfather's. When she says I have too many guns I offer to move them. ;)

Which model Remington?
I found a Model 33 (mfg. in 1934) in a back closet a few years ago. ;)
That model was Remington's first bolt-action rifle design.

Just now, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Which model Remington?

I'll dig it out right now. Take a bit

4 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Which model Remington?

The single shot is a 514 and the tube fed is a 512 Sport master. 

IMG_20210417_220846362.jpg

The one on the left was solid rust when we got it from my brother in law. I refinished the stock, bead blasted the metal and electrocoated the action and barrel. Nickel plated the trigger and bolt.

Back in the late 70s or early 80s, I had a chance to buy a Model 1922 Springfield .22 target rifle.  Happily I didn't turn the chance down.  Now that I'm retired I need to get it out and take it to the range and see what we're capable of doing.

On 4/17/2021 at 6:02 PM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Pump fan here so I’m sticking with my Winchester 61 and 62, both nearly as old as I am.  Our group shoots matches totally off hand and with basic iron sights only so the pumps can more than hold their own against the ubiquitous 10/22s and other semi autos.  I imagine a 52 in the right hands could wreak havoc there!  

Seamus

I took my youngest daughter to the NRA convention in Kansas City when she was 16. That's when she fell in love with a Taurus .22lr stainless steel gallery rifle. So when we came home I bought her one and right away she won the annual family target shootout with it. :rolleyes:

download.jpg

there are so many but i generally discuss them on a dedicated rimfire sight , the first that leapt to mind was the US M1922 , but that starts a really long list , one of my best shooting is a single shot canadian cooey M82 WWII trainer 

Awrighty... so I've been noodling about, looking for an affordable target .22.  Not surprisingly, Winchester 52's ain't jumping out of the woodwork.

CMP has Savage Mark II's, but only for clubs - no individual sales.  

But I found a shop about an hour from me that has a Kimber 82G ($799) and a Remington 540X ($699).  Hmmm...

Anyone have any experience with either of these?  :)

(Note: I would lose the scope right quickly)

Kimber-82-Government-22lr-USED-400000137568_image1__91508.1591897482.jpg?c=2      Remington-M540x-Target-22-LR-USED-400000138770_image1__30241.1591897788.jpg?c=2

Looks nice. Brand?

I had a 98 Mauser that was sporterized for benchrest in 6mm Remington. That rifle got me into reloading and was a pretty accurate shooter once you found a load it liked for a specific bullet weight. Used it for ground hogging.:blush:

51 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Looks nice. Brand?

I had a 98 Mauser that was sporterized for benchrest in 6mm Remington. That rifle got me into reloading and was a pretty accurate shooter once you found a load it liked for a specific bullet weight. Used it for ground hogging.:blush:

Eddystone Model 1917 Endfield. Liked 180 grain Sierra boattail. After a good barrel cleaning, it made me a believer. 

Archived