SASS Wire Forum

ammo makes good currency

Trigger Mike

Yesterday I took a couple of boxes of ammo and traded them to a gun store for a case of toilet paper.  Today I took a couple of boxes of 30 carbine to a different gun store and traded for a pair of snake boots for my oldest son who tramps the woods a lot and ran off two water moccasin snakes just last night while fishing.  

Stick of gum?

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Problem:  If my ammo is worth a buck a round and I need  loaf of bread worth $1.69 how to I get my change?

This has always been a question for people who a keeping gold for the apocalypse:  How do you spend gold?  Do you carry your own scale or trust the merchant's scale or argue it out at every cash register?  At the price of gold now a weeks worth of groceries would sell for  less than a ounce.  Itsy bitsy amounts are subject to easy loss and anything larger makes you a target for bad guys.  How do you carry it and where do you keep it safe at home?

Just never seemed all that practical to me.

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

This has always been a question for people who a keeping gold for the apocalypse:  How do you spend gold?  ... Just never seemed all that practical to me.

I agree with you.  You want to trade gold for a can of beans?  No deal.  I can't eat gold, I can beans.

7 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I agree.

When William Devane wants to buy something from me with one of his Roslyn Capital gold coins, he will not get any change back.  And if it’s such a good idea to have gold on hand, why is Roslyn Capital so eager to trade it for my dollars?

We deal in lead friend.  I frequently tell my friends “a man with a gun can get (insert object of your desire here), but a man with (object you desire) can’t ALWAYS get a gun”.  That is assuming one is willing to cross some longstanding lines.

Joking and speculating aside, silver is a more practical and less costly means of exchange for lesser transactions.  Better to have small amounts of silver coins on hand than large lumps of gold. Not everybody can make change.

The average price of a box of ammo here runs a buck a round or more. 

So, your case of toilet paper = $100

I think the store got the better deal. 

Average pair of snake boots online runs $150. Two boxes of 30 Carbine? Not a bad trade. ;)

Remember that poster's name. He's a murderer and a thief. Just because he has not yet murdered anybody and stole their stuff doesn't change the fact that he stated he is willing to murder somebody and steal their stuff.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

On the wire a discussion about when or if the crap hit the fan. Discussion about what to stockpile. One poster had the best answer. 'I have guns and lots of ammo. I can take anything I need from those without guns and ammo'!

Crude, but true.

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Remember that poster's name. He's a murderer and a thief. Just because he has not yet murdered anybody and stole their stuff doesn't change the fact that he stated he is willing to murder somebody and steal their stuff.

In other words a typical politician.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

This has always been a question for people who a keeping gold for the apocalypse:  How do you spend gold?  Do you carry your own scale or trust the merchant's scale or argue it out at every cash register?  At the price of gold now a weeks worth of groceries would sell for  less than a ounce.  Itsy bitsy amounts are subject to easy loss and anything larger makes you a target for bad guys.  How do you carry it and where do you keep it safe at home?

You are right.  Not only is gold not practical but I have offered gold coins to my bank and they won't take them, only a coin shop or pawn shop.  

A pawn shop shaves 500 off the price they pay from market value.  The nearest coon shoo is an hour and a half away.  When I lived near Atlanta few coin shops would pay a decent price for gold coins.  

Once a cowboy shooter on the forum had an original 1873 shooters grade rifle for 800.  I offered a gold coin that I paid 300 for in trade when gold was 800 .  He turned it down because he couldn't find a local buyer.  Now that gold is 1700 it wouldn't have done him any good without a local buyer.

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

On the wire a discussion about when or if the crap hit the fan. Discussion about what to stockpile. One poster had the best answer. 'I have guns and lots of ammo. I can take anything I need from those without guns and ammo'!

And if somebody has the foresight and planning ability to stockpile supplies why do others assume they didn't prepare for marauders? 

Cause let's face it if it really hits the fan all bets are off and you can't expect the police to show up.

Part of the prep mindset SHOULD be creating community. No man is an island and ya gotta sleep sometime so somebody has to stand firewatch.

These days there is no Setch thing as Hording Supply's. 

There are many who buy all they can too sell at a higher price,  and that is called  the free market of business.

But having a large supply for what ever reason is a good idea. 

You never know what is going to happen or if you will ever get anymore.  

I seen this coming a long time ago. 

And started buying one or two extra every chance I got .

Some would see what I have and call me a hoarder. 

Others would see what I got and call me smart and prepared .

Thankfully I was able to put supply's and cash away for secha emergency ,

I pray I never need it in that manner. 

Rooster 

17 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Yesterday I took a couple of boxes of ammo and traded them to a gun store for a case of toilet paper.  Today I took a couple of boxes of 30 carbine to a different gun store and traded for a pair of snake boots for my oldest son who tramps the woods a lot and ran off two water moccasin snakes just last night while fishing.  

Is there a toilet paper shortage where you’re at? Doesn’t sound like a good trade to me!

I didn't make the trade because there us a shortage but because toilet paper manufacturers have already announced prices are going up due to inflation.  

Lumber is a major business down here and timber harvesters have stopped harvesting timber because lumber mills are full and not taking anything.   Meanwhile lumber prices have doubled.  Thus has increased cost to make toilet paper.  Diesel is up meaning it cost more to ship toilet paper to the store.  

I just want to give myself a savings on a necessary item and take a profit on ammo of brands I don't like while I can.  I sold sellier and bellot ammo because I hate their ammo.  

18 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

The concept of snake boots makes on sense. Snakes have no arms or legs so how they gonna wear boots!?

Seamus

3 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

These days there is no Setch thing as Hording Supply's. 

There are many who buy all they can too sell at a higher price,  and that is called  the free market of business.

But having a large supply for what ever reason is a good idea. 

You never know what is going to happen or if you will ever get anymore.  

I seen this coming a long time ago. 

And started buying one or two extra every chance I got .

Some would see what I have and call me a hoarder. 

Others would see what I got and call me smart and prepared .

Thankfully I was able to put supply's and cash away for secha emergency ,

I pray I never need it in that manner. 

Rooster 

I would say smart and prepared.

Would not call being wise in your purchases/discretionary income hoarding at all, more like a reasonable evaluation of future trends.

Getting really tired of those who did not plan ahead whining about those who did plan ahead.

I did the same for the last 4 years whenever I had a spare $10 I would buy a box of 22 or if I saved a bit and had a $150 or so would get some powder, bullets or primers.

Not every trip to the store which I would visit every other month or so, not more than one or two of something always leaving plenty for the next guy. Didn't really believe things would get this bad but as an Eagle Scout.... Be prepared!!!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived