SASS Wire Forum

HP38 for cowboy loads (Maybe)

Don Coyote, SASS #63736

We still have some Clays, Solo 1000, and Bullseye left but not a whole lot. Have a # of HP38 from a match drawing that may have to be used. We load 32 HR and 38 spc. Anybody have experience with this powder for loading those rounds for CAS?

Thanks,

DC

HP 38 comes out of the same batch of powder that is labeled W 231.  I called a rep years ago and he said that was true and HP38 comes out the middle of the batch..

Yes, Win 231 / HP 38 powder can be used for cowboy loads.  It's meant for power loads, so it won't go to real low power levels.  Look for loads in the manuals with either powder name.  Won't be real clean (like Clays), but it works well.  I have personally shot .45 Colt cowboy loads made with this powder.

For example, a starting load for 231/HP38 for .38 special with 125 grain lead bullet is 3.8 grains of powder to make 876 FPS. 

Right from the Hodgdon on-line loading data at:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com

good luck, GJ

It's the powder I would go with if Unique was no longer made.

At this point I only load .45acp with it. 231 was developed for the .45acp cartridge. 

Yes- HP38 & WW231 are the same powder. Just like WW296 & H110 are the same.

OLG 

As mentioned hp38 and win 231 are the same powder. Hodgons website has load data for them. I've found ,for me at least, 2.8 grains in a 357 mag case works well in both pistol and rifle. Anything less with a 125 gr bullet doesn't hold a decent pattern in my marlin and is a mild load in my 5.5" omv's. In my 45s it's a dirty burning powder when I load light for cas. I run 5.2 grains under a 200 grain bullet for them. But the soot makes the action sticky in my 73 if I try yo go any lighter.

As usual YMMV 

I run 6 grains of 231 under a 200 grain RNFP in my .45 Colt '73, and in my pair of Evil Roys.Not the cleanest burning powder , but not the worst.

Choctaw Jack 

11 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

I run 6 grains of 231 under a 200 grain RNFP in my .45 Colt '73, and in my pair of Evil Roys.Not the cleanest burning powder , but not the worst.

Choctaw Jack 

Try 5.5gn, and use a firm roll crimp. 

OLG 

On 4/15/2021 at 8:30 PM, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

We still have some Clays, Solo 1000, and Bullseye left but not a whole lot.

Where did you find loads for the solo 1000? Did you like that powder? I have an unopened 8# i may need to use.

17 hours ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

Where did you find loads for the solo 1000? Did you like that powder? I have an unopened 8# i may need to use.

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf

Pg 29, 47 from Western Powder

All I've ever used is HP38 or W231 in my .357s. I'm currently stuck on 3.8 gn under both 125 and 158 coated RNFPs. It works well for me, a little dirty and my Lee Pro Measure likes to sprinkle a little, but it has been consistent for me.

I've no idea what it chronos at.

Just sayin....

Archived