SASS Wire Forum

12V/120V portable freezer/refrigerator

:FlagAm: If anyone has experience with any of these, please chime in.  As with anything else, there are many manufacturers.  Looking at one of the larger dual zone models at least 60qts if not bigger.

Powering up one not a problem.

Thank you kindly for any info.

Chas B

My new camper with a Furrion 12 volt only 10 cu.ft. unit. It sucked the juice. Batteries dead by morning and had to run the generator all day to sort of get thru the next night. It finally crapped on our last match last year. They are currently replacing it with an Everchill. There are plenty of complaints about them too. Mine drew about 11 amps. to keep the freezer at -17 and the fridge at 38-40. Fridge would stop working at a little above 10 volts on the battery which was about 4:00 in the morning. It's now being suggested I keep block ice in the freezer and fridge.

Sure beats the hell out of the old propane reliable units.:( Thank you engineers.

I know forest river is using a 50w solar panel to try to power the furions now. If I am looking off grid it would be an absorption fridge. If I have adequate solar buy a regular fridge and run it off an inverter 

42 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My new camper with a Furrion 12 volt only 10 cu.ft. unit. It sucked the juice. Batteries dead by morning and had to run the generator all day to sort of get thru the next night. It finally crapped on our last match last year. They are currently replacing it with an Everchill. There are plenty of complaints about them too. Mine drew about 11 amps. to keep the freezer at -17 and the fridge at 38-40. Fridge would stop working at a little above 10 volts on the battery which was about 4:00 in the morning. It's now being suggested I keep block ice in the freezer and fridge.

Sure beats the hell out of the old propane reliable units.:( Thank you engineers.

:FlagAm: You are referencing a unit that is a built in appliance in an RV.  I am asking about a portable unit.  Looks like an ice chest.  Annie and I enjoy having friends over to the trailer to eat and we do dinners such as the vendor appreciation dinner at the Tennessee State Match in Wartrace.  I am wanting to get away from actual ice chests due to lost space due to the ice and possible ruined food due to water contamination.  I do try to bring food items with us instead of purchasing at destination.

Chas B

Look at a thermo electric cooler that plugs into a 12v socket.  Lots of drivers use them for their food storage

For instance

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/coleman-powerchill-thermoelectric-cooler-model-5644-710?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclsrc=ds

5 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Look at a thermo electric cooler that plugs into a 12v socket.  Lots of drivers use them for their food storage

For instance

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/coleman-powerchill-thermoelectric-cooler-model-5644-710?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclsrc=ds

The items I am looking at use either a 12V cord/lighter socket or a 120V power cord plugged into an outlet.  A thermoelectric unit only cools a certain amount below ambient temperature.  It will not freeze.  We use a small one of those in the dually as we drive.

Chas B

Those are the best options I have that are time tested for nomadic lifestyles. Been involved in the trucking industry for 20+ years and have had several rvs. Occasionally see a dorm fridge in a truck.

Howdy,

My Dad started hauling fish home from the lakes in a 120 v cooler.

He caught the fish and cleaned em and had them frozen at a shop.

That shop was the last stop on leaving the lakes.

He rigged a converter to keep the freezer cold on the drive home.

Whoever bought the camper was happy to take that freezer too.

Best

CR

Here's what you are looking for, I think:

https://www.amazon.com/dometic-portable-refrigerator/s?k=dometic+portable+refrigerator

We have one, and it works fine.   It's one of the smaller ones and is 12V powered.  It comes with a 120V adapter.  We've used it through a couple of hurricanes.  The small ones have a temperature setting which can be refrigerator temperatures or freezer temperatures.  The larger ones have 2 zones.

Eysa: Minus 17 degrees on a portable freezer? No wonder it pulls all that juice, must run 24-7. My home refrigerator is set to 38 and the freezer is set to 0, from the factory.

I have a off grid cabin up north.

I make my own power with solar panels and heat with propane when necessary. 

I tried running a small frig off the batteries and solar .

It sucks a lot of power .

So I bought a small propane frig , and it works great for the main stuff .

Then we got a trucker cooler that runs off 12v for transportation of food or extra stuff if we are having company up at the Shack. 

The 12v coolers work pretty good. 

I dont know about the ones with the dual zones for freezing. 

I would think they would suck a lot more power .

Rooster 

Archived