SASS Wire Forum

At The Auction House

Subdeacon Joe

15 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Thanks, but I don't speak Amish .......   :huh:

You mean you don’t speak auctioneer. :lol:

that would be correct in the context to be sure , most of my life ive regretted my grand parents on my mothers side would not teach me german tho , it was a 'war thing' back then , 

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

that would be correct in the context to be sure , most of my life ive regretted my grand parents on my mothers side would not teach me german tho , it was a 'war thing' back then , 

My great grandmother came over in the late 1800's from Prussia. 

Her standing rule was that you could speak German in the house all you wanted, but once you stepped out that door you spoke nothing but English. 

And God help ya if she caught you crossing her....

10 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Thanks, but I don't speak Amish .......   :huh:

They’re using electric, must be Mennonites. 

And that looks much more like an auction tent to me.

When I was a kid living in Toppenish, Washington my dad (who was a decent auctioneer himself) would take us up to Yakima to the auction houses up there.  It was a fun outing and when we moved to northern Utah we found an auctioneer who worked the county fairgrounds.  I'm still fascinated by the skill, but this is the first auctioneer I've heard in close to 65 years I reckon.  Every auctioneer has his own sound and rhythm and over those years I heard dozens of them.

Thanks for the memories.

When I was a little kid my Dad became an Auctioneer. He went to some school in Ohio to learn “auctioneering”.  It was a weekend side gig for him. He was as fast as that guy in the video and he started an “auction barn” in Morgantown WV for a short time. 
He eventually gave up on auctioneering because he said there was no money in it. This all happened before I went into first grade so I just have snippets of memories about it. Every great once in a while after that he would do an auction for some friends in the business if they needed someone to fill in. 

On 4/15/2021 at 7:36 AM, Hendo said:

My great grandmother came over in the late 1800's from Prussia. 

Her standing rule was that you could speak German in the house all you wanted, but once you stepped out that door you spoke nothing but English. 

And God help ya if she caught you crossing her....

yes , i was forbidden to speak it , or learn it , i think i got cheated , i was forbidden and suffered when i repeated a couple choice things my grandfather would let slip , 

the bad thing beyond that was that i had a couple deaf relatives as well , when i was real young there would be get-togethers at my grandparents house where everyone was talking in sign , my mother included , i was not allowed to learn that either , not at all sure why , might have been the stigma of those times but growing up as i did i never realized any such animosity to the deaf , or to germans or japanese - other than this , 

my father served in the pacific , he bombed japan , but growing up , again when i was really young he had an employee with a war bride from japan [he was with the occupying forces] we were all close and she "adopted" me and i thought she was one of my many aunts till i was nearly five , 

i guess i can understand that there was a reason that my grandparents  thought it might be better if i didnt know certain things back then , im sure they suffered different lives than my parents , but im wondering why my parents would bring me up without such prejudices and allow my grandparents to deprive ..........now im reflecting instead of just bstating facts so ill stop there , ill never know any of those answers as all are long dead now , 

Archived