SASS Wire Forum

First SASS Gun Purchase?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

There's another thread going on about your first gun purchase/acquisition.

I thought I'd start a separate thread specifically about the first SASS type gun that you obtained.   

If limited to Main Match type guns, the first one I bought was a pre-safety Rossi 92 in .44 Magnum.

First revolver purchased was an Uberti 58 Remington in .36 and a Konversion cylinder.

First revolver I actually had was my Dad's 3rd Gen SAA .45

3 1/2 inch Ruger New Vaquero in .45 Colt.  followed by a Rossi 92, a Winchester 97 and finally a second new Vaquero.  The only one that I still own is the 97.  

"First SASS gun purchase" isn't the same as "First gun you used for CAS"...

When I shot my first match in 1992, I had two (or more) SASS-legal revolvers, and two or three SASS-legal shotguns, but no suitable rifle, so the first gun I bought for CAS would have been a 24" stainless Rossi .45 Colt. ;)

Gorgeous pair of Ruger Vaqueros.  45 Colt, 4 5/8" barrels, stainless. 

Bought em in 1994 or so. Still have em, still shoot em.

I wore out three ASM cap&ball revolvers (stretched brass frames) and owned numerous single-action revolvers and three levergun befor I heard of cowboy action in 2000.

My first intentional cowboy action gun was a Rossi 92 stainless steel in .357 Mag.

The first SASS-legal firearm I purchased was a Pieta 1851 Navy.  Over the next few years I bought a Pieta 1860, an Uberti Cattleman II, a Cimarron 7th Cavalry 1873 SAA, an Uberti 1873 Winchester.  Finally I bought a Stoeger 12 G Coach Gun and attended my first SASS event.

Since then I bought another revolver and a TTN Coach.

First SASS type gun was in 1972 when I bought a Navy Arms Reb in .36.  It came with a note to push a round ball down the barrel then have a mold made for the barrel diamator.  Brass frame, round barrel, Navy frame and grips, sent a lot of .375 round balls down range, still own. First for SASS was a Texas Longhorn Arms SSA in .44WCF/.44 Mag. One of very few made. Second was ASM 1st Model Schofield in .45 Colt.  Third was a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt. I still own and shoot all 3.  Sill have the double my brother let me use 25-30 years ago to start SASS.

My first after seeing a Chronicle at work is my Marlin 1894 in 45 colt. Then a Bisley Blackhawk with a Vaquero style 45 convertible Blackhawk. Then my Stoeger. Rugers have been replaced with Jimmy Spurs New Model Vaqueros in 45 colt. Jusdt couldn't get used to the different grips on the Blackhawks.

The first gun I bought for SASS was my Stoeger Coach Gun.  Still my only SASS shotgun.  The other three, two Uberti Cattlemans (Cattlemen?) and a Marlin 94, didn't last the first year and have long been replaced.

My Stoeger ain't going nowhere.

A Codymatic '73 in .357.  Soon followed by a pair of SASS Ruger Vaqueros in .357.

Before SASS was a gleam in anyone's eye, (and like as not, before many of you, here on the SASS web, were a gleam in anyone's eye) in the early spring of 1968, I bought an 1860 Army Colt replica, in .44 caliber. It cost me $79.95 new in the box. Still have it, still shoot it. It is an Uberti, but doesn't indicate anywhere on the revolver, who made it. It has no barrel markings, and thankfully, it does not say "for black powder only" anywhere on it. It was imported by Replica Arms.

El Lazo heard me shooting (squirrels) with an old 1851 Navy black powder revolver I’d had for years and came over and talked to me about CAS.

El Lazo later sold me a pair of US Firearms (USFA) .38 Special revolvers, which I consider the first CAS gun that I bought.  I still use them.

I already had an old Win97 shotgun (incomplete in pieces) that someone gave me.l some years prior.   I came up with another one (incomplete, in pieces in a box) that I found in the local “for sale” paper.  I detail-stripped the two, cleaned up and fitted parts, to assemble a good, tight Win’97, which I still use.  I picked up several other old ‘97’s over the years since.  I’ve become pretty interested in the Win’97 and am pretty expert with them.

Cat Brules

10 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

You didn't mess around! 

Belle and I went with the guidance of buy quality rather than buy twice.  That advice served us well as we still use both 8 years later.  We did go with Stoeger SxSs which have now been replaced by Fast Eddie SKBs, and the Vaqueros now have Shotgun Boogie short stroke kits in them.  And I've added a PGW '73 carbine to my options.

I dont really know what my first SASS gun was for sure. 

Because when Deuce Steven's first introduced me to the Game . 

I already had everythig I needed to play the game .

So really the first thing I had to do was build a gun cart .

Which I still have and use .

My First SASS gun after I was playing already. 

Was a Pair of Ruger Sheriff Model 44 specials  

Ruger Blackhawk in .357 along with a Winchester Trapper and Stoeger shotgun.

First pistols were a set of standard old model Vaqueros in .357. Still have them. Safe queens mostly.

First rifle was a Winchester 94 in .44 Mag. Still have it too and hunt with it occasionally.

First shotgun was an old Ithica double that I broke soon after. It doubled and cracked my collar bone.

I started Wild bunch first,bought an IAC '97 and a Uberti '73 in.45 from Evil Roy.Didn't get to shoot for several years and in the meanwhile Wild Bunch dried up at our club.So , Ibought a pair of Evil Roy .45's and a slicked up Stoeger Supreme and started shooting Cowboy Action.

Still got all of the above.

Choctaw

Hardware store double barrel 20 gauge made about 1900. Purchased shipped and transferred for $200

I already had my Highwall 45/70 before I joined so my first SASS gun purchase was a Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt with a 4 3/4 inch barrel in Stainless steel. Love that gun!

In my case the gun brought me to SASS. I'd been a shotgun guy all my life, with a rifle or two. My dad had a couple of DA Smiths in .38 spl that I received upon his death. Started an interest in revolvers. 

I went to a LGS, and saw an Uberti .45 SAA clone in the case. A Bisley. I was struck by the beauty of the piece and bought it, whereupon I had to learn more about single-action revolvers. Research quickly brought me to SASS and I joined...and bought some more guns....

This was 2004.

Before I heard of SASS, I had a Ruger Blackhawk .357. A Winchester '73 in 32-20, both bought in 1966. A Marlin 336-30-30, a 39A .22, both bought in 1968. A 12ga. double I got from my dad. Always did like hammered doubles, bought a Rossi 12 ga. in 1983, Was my rabbit and squrril gun. Enter SASS,,,, late 1995, 1st gun, Ruger OMV , 44-40, 7 1/2" bbl, only needed one pistol, a Rossi '92 in 44-40. Another OMV 44-40 in 4 3/4". I've been so deep down that darn rabbit hole,, Dark sider, smokeless, 38-40, 32-20 , 10ga. Rugers, Colts, original Winchesters. They're gonna have to bury me standing up so I can see daylight.

Isom

this big dummy bought Rossi  92 but with 16" barrel so it only held 9 rounds making for very slow times  \

second rifle was Uberti  73  comp  very nice out of the box 

My 1st CAS type gun I bought was a 38/357 Ruger OMV which I haven't used for CAS.  My wife latter purchased a pair of Ruger Montados to try her hand at CMS.  So before my 1st match a bought a 45C Beretta Gold Rush & 12ga Stoeger coach gun. 

On 4/14/2021 at 6:27 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

There's another thread going on about your first gun purchase/acquisition.

I thought I'd start a separate thread specifically about the first SASS type gun that you obtained. 

worthless.gif?width=450&height=278&crop=

Since this can be answered with two different criteria, the first SASS legal gun I purchased was a 1969 Winchester 94 in 44Mag.  Purchased for the remaining $39 on lay-away, as the original buyer didn't want to deal with having it shipped after he'd transferred!   Purchased from our Ship's Store off the coast of Viet Nam... Got a box of ammo, 240 gr HPs... btw, they punch right thru the aluminum fuel tanks jettisoned by fighter/bombers as they prepare for the their carrier landing!   Hey, you take what targets you can get!  Sorry, no pics of a digital nature... and you've all seen a Winchester 94, right?

The second SASS legal gun I purchased was a Rossi 92 in 38/357 in early 1986 after borrowing a rifle from a friend for my first few shoots.  

GriffsGirl-2.jpg?width=450&height=278&cr

Archived