SASS Wire Forum

Bob the barrel?

DeaconKC

Okay, my main match gun is a .45 Colt Schofield with a 7" barrel. Shoots and runs great [better than the shooter anyway], but I HATE holstering the long barreled beastie. No 5" ones available for trade, so I am considering having it cut down, Ala Wells Fargo, to 5". Has anyone else done this? Opinions, please!

Use it in a crossdraw holster and the long bbl isn’t as much of an issue. I have a Vaquero, open top and Colt with looong bbls and use crossdraw holsters for them but I have long arms too. If you are using a cool Schofield speed is not your desire. Shooting a neat revolver is. I like mine fine but fast it ain’t.

B0C50EA3-2D30-4443-B6B2-7647B855AB66.jpeg

Crossdraw doesn't work for me. Long arms but too many second helpings!

Cut it, it's yours, you make the decisions about how you want your things to look and work.

You could look at Busqudaro rigs or have your favorite holster maker build a holster with the drop built in. 

If you like the revolver,  change your rig.

My two cents,

BS

im in agreement with 'do whatever with your own guns' , in this game i consider them a "tool" not a collectible , you bought it to shoot it , make it what you want to shoot , 

id not fuss with a collectible - thats an entirely different conversation 

I had “old lonesome” chop both of mine down in so cal years ago.  his biggest chore was cutting the sight grooves.

13E6079E-2320-4074-A986-A1BB7357DBE7.jpeg

Well if a crossdraw won't work, how about straight drops with some cant built in?  I recently bought off the Wire a pair of 7 1/2" holsters with some cant, and although I really don't like the look that much (I prefer a more traditional look and these to me are a little "gamey" when in shooting position), I really like how they work.  I am able to draw both for gunfighter way more easily than I ever did before because they are coming out a bit to the side instead of straight up.  I am high waisted with long arms.  Like someone said, you don't shoot a Schofield to be fast.  But one of our locals Newt Ritter has won his share of duelist awards with his 5" models.

I recommend doing the math.  Figure out if it’s cheaper to sell what you have and buy what you want or to pay a smith to bob it.  If it’s close, I would recommend trading yours for a shorty. Factory spec is generally worth more than modified in the long run and I have a thing about paying people to devalue my guns.  But hey, that’s just me.  

19 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

Why not check with VTI to see if they have some shorter barrels??? Not cheap but you can sell the long barrels to recoup

19 hours ago, Hooligan Howes said:

Contact vti gun parts and see if they have any 5 in barrels in stock.

Waiting for VTI to actually let me know if it is actually in stock. When I checked the inventory box like you did, it showed me out of stock, then in stock...

;) Hey Deacon

Nah.  Cut Cut Cut Cut you betcha.  If yours is one of those that has the long ejector shroud, they look and balance incredible cool when shortened to the ejector shroud.  Then ship it off to TK Precision and have the cylinder machined for 45 ACP moon clips.  Yesssssssssssss.  Still be in it for less than buying a barrel betcha. 

Archived