SASS Wire Forum

Bullet sizer

Happy Appy

Does any one know of a way to resize a bullet after it is loaded.  I know this is a dumb question, but I have had a hard time with bullets being the right size after reloading.  Thanks.  Happy

If straight wall use a Lee carbide factory crimp die. It will usually fix 'em all so that they will easily chamber.

I have this same issue with loading 44/40 quite often. Remove the decapping pin from the full length sizing die and post size. I run lee dies on a load master press. I purchased an extra FL sizing die and put it in the last position so it just post sizes before it kicks them out.

I assume you really want to re-size the cartridge, not the bullet. If you are having problems with them chambering, it is probably a crimp issue. Be nice to know what cartridge you are referring to also.

TFJ; I used to sometimes have a problem with my 44-40's but after switching to a Redding Profile crimp die the problems all went away. It just doesn't tend to bulge the brass like most other crimp dies.

It damages the slug inside the cartridge to resize a loaded cartridge.  Slim above has the answer - you are bulging the case mouth at the crimp most likely.  For most folks, this means the bullet seater is set to seat a little too deep, and then when the crimp is applied, the edge of mouth can't fit into the crimp groove cleanly.  The brass has to go somewhere, so it bulges just below the crimp.  One can feel the bulge with fingers, or measure with a caliper (digital or vernier).  If larger than the rest of the cartridge diameter, even a thousandth or two, it can be a tight fit getting it into a chamber or cylinder.

And yes, the Redding Profile Crimp die is by far the best die to apply a crimp with on thin-wall bottleneck cartridges.  And it works well on the straight wall pistol cartridges too.  It is only a crimp die, not a seater/crimp combination.  So keep your current seat/crimp die, just back off the crimp that it applies and let the Redding do that part.

good luck, GJ

I was having issues loading 44-40 with smokeless kept having bullets getting pushed into the case. I was using a Lee FCD which have worked fine for me on other calibers. The redding crimp die resolved the issue. Money well spent. If I was loading bp and using the Lee fcd no issues as the bullet was resting on the powder.

Hochbauer

4 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I assume you really want to re-size the cartridge, not the bullet. If you are having problems with them chambering, it is probably a crimp issue. Be nice to know what cartridge you are referring to also.

TFJ; I used to sometimes have a problem with my 44-40's but after switching to a Redding Profile crimp die the problems all went away. It just doesn't tend to bulge the brass like most other crimp dies.

Sgt I'm loading 38 and using a 650 Dillon but some of the bullets are ok and some want drop in the cyl.  Those that don't drop in clean don't feed in the 73 ok.  If I pick out the ones that slick in the cyn they run fine.

Just now, Happy Appy said:

Sgt I'm loading 38 and using a 650 Dillon but some of the bullets are ok and some want drop in the cyl.  Those that don't drop in clean don't feed in the 73 ok.  If I pick out the ones that slick in the cyn they run fine.

I mean click in not slick LOL

Check the headstamps.  My oldest Uberti .38 conversions have tight chambers, and WCC and CBC headstamps would not fit, even though they fit all my other guns.  Adding a Lee factory crimp die made them fit, and should work for you.

Have you measured the loaded round with your calipers?

Start about center of the brass, then slide the calipers up to the bullet, slowly.

Do you see the calipers increase in size as you get to the base of the bullet?

This is caused by the bullet still traveling down in to the case as the crimp is put on the case.

The case is digging in to the lead and the lead is pushing the case down causing a small bulge in the case.

You can adjust the crimp to start a little later allowing the bullet to be seated and stop before the crimp begins.

If you need to fix loaded rounds, use a sizing die with the decapping pin removed.

Hand adjust the die down on to the loaded round until it is tight.

Lower the round and add 1/2 turn on the sizing die.

You do not want to resize the complete length of the loaded round.

You only want to remove the slight bulge in the case near the neck.

You can find more information here.

It is the last article on the page about bottle neck cases.

http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/gazette/2008/sep08.html

I only load 45 Colt and 45 Schofield.  When I used to set the seating die to also crimp, about 5% of my loaded cartridges wouldn't load smoothly, but the Lee FCD fixed them. Now I have two sets of dies, and I seat and crimp in separate operations (single stage press).  I took the seating stem out of one of the seating dies, and locked down the adjustment ring to apply a good roll crimp.  Now I very rarely have to run anything through the Lee FCD; maybe once every 300 rounds. 

14 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Check the headstamps.  My oldest Uberti .38 conversions have tight chambers, and WCC and CBC headstamps would not fit, even though they fit all my other guns.  Adding a Lee factory crimp die made them fit, and should work for you.

I usually have problems with CBC .38s. If they won't fit in the cartridge checker, they get pulled and tossed.

What Diamond Jake & Rainmaker said. I use Lee's FCD with 38/.357, .45 Colt and have no problems. Cartridges drop right in.

Good luck !

Tater

Thanks fellows I knew there were cowboys that could give me something to think about.  Happy

Archived