SASS Wire Forum

Question about Uberti 1876

Jeb Stuart #65654

I have had two in 45-75 and liked them quite a bit.  My first one was an early gun with the slightly non standard Uberti 45-75 chambering.  I replaced it with a later gun that has standard chambering. You won’t have that issue in 45-60.  

The trigger pull on both my guns was heavy when received and the sear geometry was a bit off.  Some work on the springs and the sear surfaces as well as proper adjustment of the springs sorted this. 

The 76 is one of my favorite rifles, though I don’t get to shoot it much these days.  I would like to have one of the carbines, but they were not in production when I got mine.  My gun is the long rifle barrel which makes for a big gun.

Mine is a Taylor 45-60.  It has a long barrel also and as mentioned, it's a big, heavy gun.  Rather than search for 45-60 brass, I trimmed Starline 45-70 brass to length.  The 45-70 cartridge rim is slightly thicker than the 45-60 so I had some headspace issues.  A gunsmith took about .008 inch off the bolt face and the problem was solved.  I've tried Goex and Swiss FFg with a 325 gr RCBS cast bullet and had OK results at semi-short range.  Mine would also benefit from some trigger work.  

YMMV.

Good Luck,

Jackalope

I also have one. They are excelent rifles. Mine is in 45-60 .

I also have a Original Winchester in 45-60 . I hade the Winchester before i purchased the Uberti.

I use 15 grains of Trail Boss powder, and 62 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 with a RCBS Bullet.

Out to 300 yards. Haven't shot it past 300.

The Trigger does need work . 

16 hours ago, Lassy LaRock said:

The only thing that matters with an 1876 is one thing. Don't buy chaparral arms. That is the worst quality.

Uberti is ok.

Absolutely right.  I bought one of the first chaparral 1876s and it was a total mess.  Chaparral replaced it. I took the replacement to the range and the pins on the bolt and receiver that held the action links sheared off after shooting about 20 rounds of BP ammo.  I raised such a stink that chaparral refunded the full purchase price.  I would never under any circumstances buy a Chaparral.

Having said that, the barrel on the chaparral is supposed to be good.  I have heard of guys putting chaparral barrels in Uberti receivers with good results.  

I have a Uberti 1876 in 45-60.

Had Happy Trails do an a action job on it. 

It's like a big heavy '73, but I love it.

I bought a bunch of Jaimeson brass when I bought it years ago.

I don't shoot it as often as I like, but it's a hoot every time I take it out. 

Most fun gun I own!

--Dawg

20 hours ago, Lassy LaRock said:

The only thing that matters with an 1876 is one thing. Don't buy chaparral arms. That is the worst quality.

Uberti is ok.

13 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Absolutely right.  I bought one of the first chaparral 1876s and it was a total mess.  Chaparral replaced it. I took the replacement to the range and the pins on the bolt and receiver that held the action links sheared off after shooting about 20 rounds of BP ammo.  I raised such a stink that chaparral refunded the full purchase price.  I would never under any circumstances buy a Chaparral.

Having said that, the barrel on the chaparral is supposed to be good.  I have heard of guys putting chaparral barrels in Uberti receivers with good results.  

I bought my Chaparral in April of '07, and sent it back twice, they replaced it once, rebarreled once, and even the 3rd time around, still had some problems. I was able to fix the problems, but accuracy was dismal, with "good" groups being 10"/100 yards. The first rifle had poorly fitted side plates, the hammer would catch in the half-cock position if the trigger was squeezed instead of jerked, the extractor didn't line up with the relief cut in the barrel & would slip over the rim leaving the empty case in the chamber, and bullets were tumbling completely sideways at only fifteen feet. The 2nd one was slightly better, but bullets still tumbled at 50 yards or less, with "groups" being in excess of eight feet. When I got it back with a replacement barrel, it wouldn't do better than 10"/100 yard groups with a variety of smokeless, black, lead, jacketed, and weights from 260-405 grains, but at least the holes were round. One day I thought, "I've gone to extremes with light bullets, how about the other end of the spectrum?" I loaded up some 500 grain round nose gas checked bullets over Alliant Black MZ, seated deeply enough to cycle, and *presto*, 3-4"/100 yard five shot groups. I can't see any better than that, so... good enough.

I have had a 45-75 Uberti for many years and never fired her off.  I think most of the necessaries needed to make meat are gathered but things just have to wait for now!  She has been moved around so much over the past few years that  her scars are starting to show... Yall git me all stirred up much more an I am apt to try and load a few rounds!

I have  a Uberti 76 in 45-60. I enjoy shooting it. I have brass cut down from 45-70 as well as some real 45-60. It feeds both, no issues. I did have trigger worked on a bit. I have a nice set of Kelley sights on it, does well out to 300 yds. After that it’s a challenge. I shoot a 305 grn Bear Creek bullet over 12.0 Unique. 

if you are going to cut down 45-70 brass, harbor freight has a handy little Mimi chop saw. Works well. A Pard printed a 3D jig. Easy-peasy to make brass 

Archived