SASS Wire Forum

Todays Enjoyable Project

Charlie T Waite

Busy day attaching the Malcom 2 Tone to this Henry 45-70 as well as adjusting the blocks in the display case so that the 45-70 would again fit in with the scope mounted. Because the receiver is a bit higher than the barrel. According to Hi-Lux it zero's is at 200 yards with the Elevation Turret turned all the way clockwise. The mounts are 7.25" Ctr.-Ctr. which puts the tick-marks at 1/4 MOA which allows for full counter clockwise elevation.  (And yes it is a shooter not just for display)...:D

Not sure if one picture is better than the other so put both up.

Charlie

Henry 1.jpg

Henry 2.jpg

That looks really cool, Charlie. Will you give us a shooting update?

Hi Lux. I had to look them up. I know nothing about this company. Interesting stuff. Thank you. 

The rear Winchester mount had size #6 screws and Henry uses #8 so I had to drill out the rear mount to fit the size 8 but the holes lined up perfectly.  After that and using a small amount of blue Loctite, the scope mounted easier than any I have previously mounted.  The difference between the barrel & receiver height acts the same as having a tapered barrel so the rear mount is just a bit higher than level.  That it why the zero range is 150-200 yards when bore sighting which also went well.  Unfortunately weather is not conducive to range time this week since it is snowing & blowing.  The rest will depend on bullet weight, these old eyes and load data for range/accuracy.

if im not mistaken hi-luz made , or maybe bought the rights to , the scope we used on our VN era sniper rifles , but mostly i like these long tube vintage scopes , ive always wanted one and look forward to the range report 

16 hours ago, watab kid said:

if im not mistaken hi-luz made , or maybe bought the rights to , the scope we used on our VN era sniper rifles

Your not mistaken, it was on some of them.

Here is the range report:

Conditions: overcast, winds WNW 10-15 mph, Dew point 25, humidity 29, Temp 57

Reloads:

Bullet Weight                   Powder    Bullet Diam.    C.O.L     Grs.    Vel. (ft/s)    Pressure
Lead 405 Grn RNFP      IMR 4198      0.458"        2.540"    47.0         1,954      35,400 CUP

Also (Factory Federal Hammer Down 45-70 Government)

300 Grn Bonded Soft Point                0.810"         2.90                       1,850  

Windage adjustment was in 2 rounds on the 100 yard target but hits were higher than POA.

On the 200 yard target it was as I had expected; due to the receiver height (approx. 1/8" above barrel) the scope zeroed perfectly on the 200 yard target and scored a perfect 10 for 10.  The math came out that every as expected as well e.g. The mounts are 7.25" Center to Center and the tick-marks are at 1/4 MOA which allows for full counter clockwise elevation.  Since 1 moa is actually 1.047197580733 inch's at 100 yards for every 100 yards the bullet travels, I add 1 inch of inaccuracy or 4 tick-marks so longer ranges will not be an issue as others were shooting out to 750 yards today; I did not attempt that just yet but the have enough adjustment to go out to there.  I did achieve 2-2 1/2" groups at the 200 yard mark, that's more than good enough for me for today.  FYI, I did shoot 5 factory rounds at the 300 yard target not adjusting just using hold off and had 5 of 5 hits there.

Archived