SASS Wire Forum

What to put on ground in berms?

Our berms had 1/2" gravel when I inherited running the matches. This resulted in a lot of splash back. I got our club to put down what is locally called "trail mix" red decomposed granite. This works really well but is expensive. Looking to find something that works as well but is cheaper. We are high desert with no water, so forget grass. What do you use at your range that works?

Silver Rings

Possibly asphalt grindings?  When they resurface roads and highways, they are usually looking for places to get rid of it.  Not sure how it will do for bounce back, but it is certainly softer than rock.

Some recycling centers will chew up old tires into rubber strips that can work well too.

I used free tires and filled them with good old fashioned Dirt  ! 

What not to use: fine grained sand.  My club has two plinking pits where shooters are allowed to place targets in the ground.  The sand prevents bullets from bouncing out of the berm.  However, the sand is difficult to walk on and you would not want to set steel in these berms.

7 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

For the ground surface?

Lol sorry .

Ground up tires and dirt for ground cover .

Tires filled with dirt for back stops and walls .

Better explanation this time .

Sounded OK in my head lol 

Our action bays have a crusher run gravel for the ground. If you use a pea gravel or #57 and you travel into the bays, down range there is a lot of give when a shooter takes off at a run. Stoping can be a bit of an issue also. 

My [at the beach ] gun club had la de da sod installed over our original berm when they redid the terrible drainage but when we got moved next door into a new berm it’s just sparse grass and sand underfoot.  A lot easier to find our brass. We couldn’t shoot into the ground with the sod but can shoot into the sand. 

Archived