SASS Wire Forum

Comment About Lieutenants

Subdeacon Joe

"L.T.'s coming up, I guess he wants to see the situation for himself."

"Is 1st Lt. Gonzales a worry-wart or something?" Winkler wanted to know.

"Nah, he's just careful. He's a good guy, doesn't expect us to do things he wouldn't do himself. I worry about him at times. He seems way too smart to be a lieutenant." Which elicited a grin from Winkler.

My wife was an Army Lt., me just a Buck Sgt. She outranked me then, she still outrank's me. (in quiet voice, guess which one has common sense)

When I was in the Navy the most disturbing person one might have to deal with was a Navy pilot (big egos) or an Ensign eager to get noticed. On base I managed to avoid a lot of interaction with Ensigns through judicious manipulation of my situations or volunteering to do things that didn’t involve dealing with them. 
Aboard ship our first Division Officer was an Ensign and I must say, he was most excellent to deal with. Ensign McManus. This gent had his head screwed on correctly. He got promoted and transferred and we ended up with a Lieutenant that was obvious quite an ass as an Ensign because he was still an ass as a Lieutenant. It took us a few months, but we fixed him. ;)

When I left my ship he was squared away. 

As a young Subaltern, (LOWEST OF THE LOW)I heeded my NCOs and that kept me out of a lot of trouble in the Drill Hall and in the field.

Now in the mess, with no WO or sgt handy, Oh Boy!

Being a former Lt is like being a former cop. Never tell anybody at a party. You will have to listen to dumb Lt or Rookie Cop stories the rest of the night. Everybody with a beer in their hand will have a tale to tell. Some true. Most BS. :rolleyes:

The worst thing about a Navy LT (0-3) is that they have been promoted twice.  That means that they know everything. 

BS

I can tell a number of stories about young men that got dropped into a position of authority.  Requiring them to lead men that were war weary and  they as a whole acted with bravery.  Sometimes, the lessons from the class room didn't survive contact most learned that.  My experience as a rifleman and NCO was that a butterbar was easier to deal with when the poo hit the fan than those far superior in rank.  

I learned long before I was a second looie, that I needed subordinates to guide me.  When I became a Company Commander I was given a cadre of seven absolutely great NCOs, from a 1st Sergeant to a Mess Steward. My first meeting with my 1st Sgt and my brand new XO (A mustanger) I told them "I'm the boss.  I give the orders but I'm leaving it up to you to see that I know what orders to give.  Someday that may change, but for now you give me good advice and make sure I look good and I support you all the way and make you look good, too."  It must have worked.  I was a nearly new 1Lt. when I took over and made Captain in 13 months and a day.   The next week I was proud to pin 1Lt bars on my XO, and when I left twenty-four months later my 1Sgt was promoted to SgtMajor and my XO took command of the company.  We did some great work with a really sad group who fell in and (mostly) grew with us.

Over all it was the best 14 months I spent in uniform.

22 hours ago, Smoken D said:

My wife was an Army Lt., me just a Buck Sgt. She outranked me then, she still outrank's me. (in quiet voice, guess which one has common sense)

Ummm...you know that's a crime, right?  Seriously, I've prosecuted people for that and kicked the out of the army.  The only exception is if the relationship occurred before the senior person was commissioned, like if they were both enlisted and one went to OCS.

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Ummm...you know that's a crime, right?  Seriously, I've prosecuted people for that and kicked the out of the army.  The only exception is if the relationship occurred before the senior person was commissioned, like if they were both enlisted and one went to OCS.

They weren’t married while in the service.

Don't do that!  It makes me think and I don't like that.

8 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Good Luck, she was in 64-68 and I was in 70-73. You forgot that one.

6 hours ago, Noz said:

Don't do that!  It makes me think and I don't like that.

You’re right. Took it down. Made me think too much too.

Archived