SASS Wire Forum

Pale Rider loads

ORNERY OAF

Gents,

Getting ready to saddle up again but I am running very low on shotgun ammo. I shoot palerider gunfighter so I only load the holy black. I know some of you got a load for shotgun, drams/ounces of shot...I know we can not post loads but I would appreciate a pm with a load. I can take apart some old ones and weight them I guess as a last resort. any ideas?

This is what I shoot at monthly matches. However, it does not meet the standards for Pale Rider or Sultan of Smoke.

Remington STS or Gun Club hull

Primer of choice

Claybuster CB0178-12 wad

3 cc's of Real BP or 3F APP

7/8 oz of shot

Will take down every KD I have come across and doesn't break the bank.

I'm currently loading 35 grains (by weight) of APP with 7/8 ounce of reclaimed shot. I usually use whatever wads make for a good fit, right now it's Claybuster Lightnings. Plenty of smoke and the knockdowns are usually down when the smoke clears.

I've always found it useful, when giving someone load data, to list what cartridge the data was for.

I'm going to assume that the loads given in this thread so far were for 12 gauge. But the OP just said shotgun.

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I've always found it useful, when giving someone load data, to list what cartridge the data was for.

I'm going to assume that the loads given in this thread so far were for 12 gauge. But the OP just said shotgun.

I figured palerider was a stone cold giveaway with gauge but seems the thread police need it spelled out.....12 gauge......

Welcome back!

FWIW: the prohibition against posting loads went away a awhile ago.

Rules for Pale Rider and for Sultan of Smoke (same thing, different geographical location) call for 60 grains of powder by volume and 1 1/8 oz. shot. I use these along with a Winchester WAA-12R (red) wad or Claybuster equiv. in STS hulls.  I don't have my Lee Dipper chart handy to convert to CC's

CS

2 hours ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

Welcome back!

Rules for Pale Rider and for Sultan of Smoke (same thing, different geographical location) call for 60 grains of powder by volume and 1 1/8 oz. shot. I use these along with a Winchester WAA-12R (red) wad or Claybuster equiv. in STS hulls.  I don't have my Lee Dipper chart handy to convert to CC's

CS

Thanks,

My load posted above wouldn't qualify for Pale Rider. It is however the load I use at monthly matches.

This load does qualify.

Primer of choice

WAA-12R or CB1138-12 wad

4 cc's of powder  (60 grains by volume is 4cc's of powder.)

1 1/8 oz of shot

8 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Thanks Dave I will load one up this weekend and see how she does

See my update the load doesn't meet the standards for Pale Rider or Sultan of Smoke.

6 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

I figured palerider was a stone cold giveaway with gauge but seems the thread police need it spelled out.....12 gauge......

Really? Alpo is “the thread police”? Please. 

Don’t assume everyone knows WTH you’re talking about. I had no idea what “Palerider” meant. I honestly don’t care, but I didn’t know what you meant. 

PRGF 12ga requirements being:

Shotgun
Double or 87 Only

60 grs by volume of black powder or BP substitute
1 -1/8 oz or more of shot

I was having "blooming" issues but after changing over to a Claybuster CB1138-12 wad filled with a smidge over 1-1/8oz #6 shot atop 70grs  Goex FFg ...it's great.

Works for me. :D 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Any 12g  2 3/4 Hull with Claybuster  wad.

3 cc's of BP or  APP fff.

7/8 oz of shot #7 or #8 shot.

Will knock down any target .

So Saith The Rooster 

17 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

This is what I shoot at monthly matches. However, it does not meet the standards for Pale Rider or Sultan of Smoke.

Primer of choice

Claybuster CB0178-12 wad

3 cc's of Real BP or 3F APP

7/8 oz of shot

Will take down every KD I have come across and doesn't break the bank.

Mine is the same except I use the 3.1 dipper. Tried them after shoulder surgery and most happy. All KD's go down!

5 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L said:

PRGF 12ga requirements being:

Shotgun
Double or 87 Only

60 grs by volume of black powder or BP substitute
1 -1/8 oz or more of shot

I was having "blooming" issues but after changing over to a Claybuster CB1138-12 wad filled with a smidge over 1-1/8oz #6 shot atop 70grs  Goex FFg ...it's great.

Works for me. :D 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That's what I'm talking about! Thank you!!! I will use 7 1/2 or 8 shot, our club requires it, or at least it used to.

I am not familiar with the Pale Rider category. That said I am a darksider and use a square load of 2ff goex. Whatever amount of powder that goes into a 1 oz shot dipper and 1oz of shot. I prefer to use fiber wads but use the claybuster red wads. This will work real well on any takedowns.

Hochbauer

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Really? Alpo is “the thread police”? Please. 

Don’t assume everyone knows WTH you’re talking about. I had no idea what “Palerider” meant. I honestly don’t care, but I didn’t know what you meant. 

Exactly. If you don't know what palerider is, then how will you give me palerider loads...pretty specific I thought. You have added nothing to this thread, stay off please.

13 hours ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

Welcome back!

CS

Thank you for this, this seems popular 

18 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Exactly. If you don't know what palerider is, then how will you give me palerider loads...pretty specific I thought. You have added nothing to this thread, stay off please.

Gladly. 

15 hours ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

I don't have my Lee Dipper chart handy to convert to CC's

This is the one conversion I know as the SHB defines the BP smoke standard as 15 grains by volume (1 cc) of blackpowder.

I do have an old set of lee dippers. The ones that have the numbers on them instead of CCs. On that set, dipper number 258 gets you right near 4 CCs, maybe a touch over.

When I was dipping, I liked having both the red/black set as well as the yellow set. The red or black sets would get you measurements in between the yellow ones.

Branchwater !  I'm loving your 'Firing Line' videos !!  Keep up the great work - for the good of the game too !!

Cheers !

1 hour ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

When I was dipping, I liked having both the red/black set as well as the yellow set. The red or black sets would get you measurements in between the yellow ones.

Red and black? Wow, only used the yellow ones, gotta hit the google machine now!

Archived