SASS Wire Forum

Want to move

Whiskey Business

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohio is got great gun laws or I should say not restrictive gunlaws. CCW, instant background check if you have one and no limits on what you can buy. If you go to southern Ohio you'll get some snow in the winter but not much at all. Up here in Northern Ohio we get snow. Lots of cowboy shoots around here though! We'd love to have ya!;)

Got a nice place down the street from my place.  Three BR, two bath, three car garage on a half acre lot.  Mother-in-law house on the premises.  Lots more in a hour's drive.

No curbs or gutters or sidewalks.  No street lights and only a couple of stop signs.  5 to 15 minutes to most of what passes for a down town,  a few dozen good eating places, a mile and a half from a regional hospital, 11 miles from much bigger hospital, 7 miles from the VA hospital.  A grand event center with everything from gun shows to ice skating, to indoor bull riding, to you name it.

At least two SASS clubs in the vicinity, gun stores galore in the neighborhood, something like 22 miles from Gunsight Academy, and some of the best gun smiths, engravers, and leather smiths anywhere.

Give it a look.

Zip code 86314

Southern Missouri/northern Arkansas has a good balance of seasons without a lot of snow, reasonable real estate prices and reasonable taxes.  Talk to Lawdog Dago Dom, he chose Bolivar, MO over Illinois.

Weather-wise western WA state is exactly what you want. Mild summers and winters, rarely ever below 30 or above 90. Of course it rains a lot, but you quickly get used to it. Up until a few years ago our gun laws were great as well, and we were an A state according to the NRA. Unfortunately the liberals are taking over and we're now a B grade at best.

12 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Weather-wise western WA state is exactly what you want. Mild summers and winters, rarely ever below 30 or above 90. Of course it rains a lot, but you quickly get used to it. Up until a few years ago our gun laws were great as well, and we were an A state according to the NRA. Unfortunately the liberals are taking over and we're now a B grade at best.

Weather wise it sounds perfect. Except for the other stuff. To bad ya'll got californication.

25 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Southern Missouri/northern Arkansas has a good balance of seasons without a lot of snow, reasonable real estate prices and reasonable taxes.  Talk to Lawdog Dago Dom, he chose Bolivar, MO over Illinois.

We moved to North Central Arkansas in December just in time for a good snow, but that was a rare occurrence. Beautiful folks, great SASS clubs, consider it.

since its snowing here tonight ill not suggest it ....oh , and ill bet our taxes are bigger than yours .....i also want to move , but grandkids are holding me here unless i leave my wife , not looking to do that , 

best of luck finding that "right place" tho and keep us informed , 

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Truth in advertising.   Prone to wicked ice storm and occasional tornado or two. Run over by remnants of a hurricane about once a year.  Heat and humidity probably as high as you're wanting to get away from.

Now Coronado Island has pleasant weather year round.  No snow.  But pretty pricey.  

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Tired of the heat and no snow...move to California. :lol:

Yea but the gun laws are OMG!!!:angry:

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Tired of the heat and no snow...move to California. :lol:

I'll gladly take the Ice, Snow, Humidity, Severe Thunderstorms, and Tornadoes over the political crap that comes with all that sunshine. 

11 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

So, am tired of the heat and sun here in Ga. Not to mention taxes. Thinking about a cooler place, no snow tho. Good place?

Stay out of Connecticut, it can be hot and humid in the summer, very cold with snow in the winter, high cost of living, mediocre to bad gun laws, horrible people in charge and some of the worst drivers I've ever seen.  Coming back into CT is like re-entering the asylum.

If I were younger I would consider the North West in Arkansas. I have family on both side in That area. Except for the chiggers and ticks I enjoyed my visits.

I’ve lived in many parts of the country and all of them have a weather event it all depends on what you’re willing to put up with. Southern Tennessee has a nice mix of weather, some winters there is snow, some springs there are tornadoes, and some summers are brutal, but when I lived there every year was different.  Look at more than weather, taxes, politics and cost of living should be high on the list.

J-Bar is correct.

So far BoMo (Bolivar, Missouri) has been awesome. We purchased 5 times the land and buildings we had in Illinois for $3200 a year LESS in property taxes. Gas is much less, as are license plates. Permanent trailer plate for $58.50.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cowboy club in the area (relax, we own a cat).

There is Citizens Memorial Hospital in town, with a helicopter to zip you down to Springfield if needed. Since the "fountain of youth" has slowed down, healthcare close by is a priority.

This is the second most conservative Congressional district in the country. Shortcake came back from a Republican Women's luncheon and was surprised they didn't discuss pending legislation. In Illinois meetings, legislation was ALWAYS a topic. I reminder her she now lived in a red state, and legislative issues would be very few.

Guns are "no big deal." We no longer have to do the Illinois Tug of Shame, where your concealed pistol pops out from under your shirt as you reach for something on a store shelf, and you dislocate a shoulder trying to pull your shirt back down before everybody calls 911. Guns are not brandished recklessly, but you can carry open if you choose. We did it once after a match for two local merchants who wanted to see us in all of our cowboy glory.  I did ask a barber what would the Sheriff say if he saw us walking around with cowboy guns on each side. He thought for a minute then said, "He'd probably ask you where you got them fancy holsters." Enough said.

People here have been very nice and welcoming. One neighbor was hesitant about coming over seeing our Illinois license plates, worried some Chicago progressives had moved in. But after he heard gunshots, ringing steel, saw and smelled black powder smoke, he figured we were ok. 

We worked with a realtor for two years before we found this, and LOVE it. Utah Bob and I emailed back and forth then about finding that one place. His best advice was do not be in a hurry. How right he was.

Feel free to PM me (or Shortcake) with any questions.

Best wishes for a happy house hunt.

LDD

P.S.

If you have a pension, 401K or other IRA type stuff, have a financial guy check out the state you are looking at. Some are easy on the wallet, some are not.

Hard to believe but my place just North of Lawdog is still for sale. 3180 sf true ranch on top of bluff over Truman Lake. All the hunting, shooting, fishing you could want. Lawdog could tell you about it. $279,000. Million dollar view.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yea but the gun laws are OMG!!!:angry:

51 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I'll gladly take the Ice, Snow, Humidity, Severe Thunderstorms, and Tornadoes over the political crap that comes with all that sunshine. 

Ahh, see, I think you gents get my point. One must weigh ALL their options when looking for a place to live. 
It is very hard to find a “perfect” place to live. I have lived all over this country. Every place I have lived had pluses and minuses. In some places the pluses of weather have the greatest minuses in other areas, like gun rights, taxation, over priced living conditions, weird politics, etc. 

If I were a liberal beach lover that loves being around people, where I live now would be pretty high up on living amenities scale. 

No matter where you live in this country there are good things and bad things about each area. One must weigh the options and compare them to their lifestyle and what would make them happiest. Also, one must keep an open mind to wherever they move because no matter where you move you are going to find things that you will not like. The key to maintaining happiness in this case is to accept or work around that which you do not like or you may be in danger of helping to change that area into the place from which you came. 
Too many selfish, self-absorbed people do not understand this and became a cancer wherever they go. 

Hot?

It's barely been in the 80's so far this year.  It hasn't been hot yet.  It's barely been 'warm'.  By August, you'll look back at the recent temps fondly.

Besides, it's not the heat that gets you in the Deep South, it's the humidity.  90 degrees with a heat index of 116 (been there seen that regularly over the last few summers) is not the same as 116 in the deserts of Arizona.  In the South when the heat index is that high, all you can do is wish you could wring the moisture out of your clothes and your own hide. 

And breathing?  You need to cut a piece of air off and chew it instead down South.  Just make sure you've got a good edge on your pocket knife because you'll need it.  In Arizona, the humidity is so low that you can still breathe when it's that hot.  Heck, that first breath you take when going outdoors in the heat of the day isn't even uncomfortable.

Kansas has very gun friendly politics right now although our current governor is a complete moron. Kansas also has a pretty affordable cost of living. But this comes at the expense of having absolutely no scenery. And if you want some land with trees you will pay dearly for that.

For decades I have said the best thing about Kansas is that we are right next to Colorado.

Fortunately Kansas is wedged right in between Oklahoma and Missouri, both of which are 2A friendly, offer scenery, lots of outdoor activity, and plenty of cowboy action shooting clubs. And we're not all that far from Texas either. :D

20 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Kansas has very gun friendly politics right now although our current governor is a complete moron. Kansas also has a pretty affordable cost of living. But this comes at the expense of having absolutely no scenery. And if you want some land with trees you will pay dearly for that.

For decades I have said the best thing about Kansas is that we are right next to Colorado.

Fortunately Kansas is wedged right in between Oklahoma and Missouri, both of which are 2A friendly, offer scenery, lots of outdoor activity, and plenty of cowboy action shooting clubs. And we're not all that far from Texas either. :D

I have to ask...how often do you go someplace and think to yourself “I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore?” :D

Just remember that ANY pro gun state can become an anti gun state in just one or two election cycles.

Oh, as you know, Florida is out. Heat, sun, humidity, love bug, pythons, sharks and Canadians. Pro gun...right now though.

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have to ask...how often do you go someplace and think to yourself “I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore?” :D

The question I always ask myself is why am I coming back? ;)

14 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

not too far from Branson either, if that's your thing

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Nice thing about Kansas weather is that it won't be the same thing two days in a row, I'm pretty sure we've had days in the 60-70's all winter long and we have a frost advisory this week... only had to deal with snow twice this winter, neither of which required getting a shovel out, but the ice and wind can be tricky.  

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Just remember that ANY pro gun state can become an anti gun state in just one or two election cycles.

I'm not there yet, but at some point in your life you get to the place where long term effects and things a decade or more out are less worrisome to you... personally... :D

Edit: Also, we pro gun states like it when pro gun people move here!

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

The question I always ask myself is why am I coming back? ;)

20 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

Nice thing about Kansas weather is that it won't be the same thing two days in a row, I'm pretty sure we've had days in the 60-70's all winter long and we have a frost advisory this week... only had to deal with snow twice this winter, neither of which required getting a shovel out, but the ice and wind can be tricky.  

How is the humidity in Kansas in the summertime?

20 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

Yes, Winter is not much of a thing here but the cold wind can be bitter cutting. Personally I like Winter but I wish we had some scenery to go with Winter instead of just drab bleak dead countryside.  You just have to grab the perfect days for some pheasant or quail hunting.

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The humidity in the summer can be brutal.  It's not constant and frequently the wind helps but sometimes you will need a shower just going to your mailbox and back. It's not as bad as southern Texas but I very much prefer a drier hot summer climate.  I am a big fan of the high desert. Lower elevations in Colorado, say 7000' ish are also quite nice.

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

better than Missouri!  but Missouri has more hills, trees and snakes.

1 minute ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I am in NC but could easily live in Tenn.  Areas between Chattanooga and Nashville are nice.

I have friends in those areas and they will never leave. They absolutely love it.

Hi Whisky,

I love the weather where we live (hills W. of Sacramento in Amador County). Unfortunately, it is in CA. The problems with our government are well known. At our ages, we need to be closer to a GOOD hospital. I've been looking for a place to move for about a year. Medical care is the primary reason we are considering moving.

If anyone could tell us where there are no tornadoes, hurricanes, winds, and humidity that has hospitals near; we would move there.

I hope your thread turns up something to your or our liking.

:wub:

Allie

Archived