SASS Wire Forum

What to you call 2 year old beer cans ?? Targets

Dirty Dog Doug

I was cleaning out the club storage and found old some old beers 

they had been heated to over 100 degrees alll summer and where nasty so 

we blasted them with shotguns 

IMG_0019.JPG

So you admit to tasting some to determine they were nasty?

Or are you admitting to shooting up a whole bunch of empty cans?

I guess what I am asking is... Did the nastiness prevent you from drinking them?

Shouldn't have to taste them   They are Budweiser          GW

A number of years ago, we had a few cases of beer left over from a major match. It set in the trailer for a few months in the summer heat and went bad. We wanted to shoot it up but our club secretary was adamant that "no alcohol on the shooting range"!

We waited until the secretary left and blasted the alcohol out of those cans!:rolleyes:

Shake up a warm beer then hit it with a CCI Stinger. I recommend a distance of 15 yards. Any closer and you may get splattered. :D

In my neck of the woods, beer can launchers have been popular for a long time.  The now-closed Shady Creek Shootists club had two, permanently located at on Stage 1, that threw cans 12-15 feet, straight up.  Very satisfying to shoot the trip plate, watch the can soar, then blow it to smithereens in a spray of foam - and very embarrassing if it fell to the ground with a thud, due to a clean miss.  Almost as good were the times when a single "golden BB" managed to catch the can and send it pinwheeling around.  The knockdown plates on these throwers were heavy, and mounted on long arms for maximum force, so there was a very short delay from the first shot until a can was launched  For some, the challenge then became shooting both plates, then shucking and reloading in time to blast both cans while they were in the air.  The feat was  most often accomplished by fast single-loading '97 shooters, but there were a few double-barrel shooters who could do the deed as well.  Either way, two hits usually brought forth a cheer from the posse.

One of our local guys (engineer by trade) designed and built a smaller portable version that we still borrow on occasion.  Another local (now passed-away) built a spring loaded version that would launch a can 20+ feet.  Took a bit of time and involvement to reset, and we didn't always have a lot of volunteers for reset duty because of fighting the spring tension.  We do still have it...

This is all fun stuff, and makes for a nice break from attempting to break clay birds, but...When the fun is done, clean-up has to take place.  Leaf rakes and plastic bag lined garbage cans help (60 shooters X 2 cans each leaves a mess of aluminum fragments around).  However, having the contents of roughly 120 -12oz. cans (almost 12 gallons, I believe) of already-skunky beer finely sprayed all over the grass in one small shooting bay (and left overnight on occasion), then walking through it while raking aluminum bits makes for a very interesting "aromatic" experience - one that especially tends to stay with the person who neglects to hose-off the shoes before the ride home!

CS

12 minutes ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

In my neck of the woods, beer can launchers have been popular for a long time.  The now-closed Shady Creek Shootists club had two, permanently located at on Stage 1, that threw cans 12-15 feet, straight up.  Very satisfying to shoot the trip plate, watch the can soar, then blow it to smithereens in a spray of foam - and very embarrassing if it fell to the ground with a thud, due to a clean miss.  Almost as good were the times when a single "golden BB" managed to catch the can and send it pinwheeling around.  The knockdown plates on these throwers were heavy, and mounted on long arms for maximum force, so there was a very short delay from the first shot until a can was launched  For some, the challenge then became shooting both plates, then shucking and reloading in time to blast both cans while they were in the air.  The feat was  most often accomplished by fast single-loading '97 shooters, but there were a few double-barrel shooters who could do the deed as well.  Either way, two hits usually brought forth a cheer from the posse.

One of our local guys (engineer by trade) designed and built a smaller portable version that we still borrow on occasion.  Another local (now passed-away) built a spring loaded version that would launch a can 20+ feet.  Took a bit of time and involvement to reset, and we didn't always have a lot of volunteers for reset duty because of fighting the spring tension.  We do still have it...

This is all fun stuff, and makes for a nice break from attempting to break clay birds, but...When the fun is done, clean-up has to take place.  Leaf rakes and plastic bag lined garbage cans help (60 shooters X 2 cans each leaves a mess of aluminum fragments around).  However, having the contents of roughly 120 -12oz. cans (almost 12 gallons, I believe) of already-skunky beer finely sprayed all over the grass in one small shooting bay (and left overnight on occasion), then walking through it while raking aluminum bits makes for a very interesting "aromatic" experience - one that especially tends to stay with the person who neglects to hose-off the shoes before the ride home!

CS

I only got to shoot at Shady Creek once, but I do remember the fun of those launchers. :D

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Shake up a warm beer then hit it with a CCI Stinger. I recommend a distance of 15 yards. Any closer and you may get splattered. :D

Shake up the can, put it on a vertical thrower and then give the can both barrels from my 10 gauge (120 grs 1F and 1 1/2 shot) while it is mid air.  :lol::D

22 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Done that a few times too. But last time it was new Milwaukee's Best.

Lucky X Lager in VN - we drank that after the grapefruit juice ans chocolate milk was all gone.  ARRGGHH

STL Suomi

On 4/14/2021 at 12:27 AM, Dirty Dog Doug said:

no they where full ..they blow up better that way 

OK , i get the premise , but i think soda pop deserves it more , just sayin ............

Archived