SASS Wire Forum

Do you know how old you are?

Alpo

If my body doesn't remind me of my age, all I have to do is look in the mirror. A brief "Oh, sh*t" moment occurs before realizing it's me. :o

My beard is heavily gray, but I take after my Mom with almost no gray hair. Let's just say I am very high mileage...

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

It used to be important.

"I'm five and a half years old."
"I'm 11 and 3/4 years old."

Then as a teenager there were milestones. 15, where you could get your learner's permit. 16, where you can get your operators. 17, when you can get in a dirty movie.

Then 21, when you can buy booze. 25, when your car insurance rates drops.

It was important back then to know how old you were. But after that? Why did it matter?

I had a guy ask me today how old I was, and I wasn't sure. One of those, "What year is it?" moments.

So simply - without having to stop and think - do you know how old you are?

I think I am in my third or fourth childhood...

50 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

My beard is heavily gray, but I take after my Mom with almost no gray hair. Let's just say I am very high mileage...

Shame on you DeaconKC! :angry:  "I take after my Mom..."  

I just got a mental image of your dear aged mother with a black beard!  :o

You are never too old to have a happy childhood.  I have noticed that when I want to pick something up from the floor/ground, it seems to take a mite longer than it used to and requires a bit of foresight/planning.  The ground is getting farther and farther away as I age.

13 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

You are never too old to have a happy childhood.  I have noticed that when I want to pick something up from the floor/ground, it seems to take a mite longer than it used to and requires a bit of foresight/planning.  The ground is getting farther and farther away as I age.

But once I get to the floor/ground, I've noticed gravity is much stronger than it used to be.  Probably caused from Climate Change!

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Shame on you DeaconKC! :angry:  "I take after my Mom..."  

I just got a mental image of your dear aged mother with a black beard!  :o

When she died at 83, she had almost no gray hair at all. And NO beard or mustache!

As I'm still an active 19th century three gun shooter, shooting in an age based category I know how old I am but i only need to think about it every 5 years.  The folks behind me know how old I am and the folks ahead of me keep asking when to expect me.  So i"m in the timex mode " take a lick'n and keep on tic'n"

Since I’ve spent so much time in one or another medical facility lately, I get asked my date of birth often.  I’ve taken to responding with some historic date on occasion, just to see if they’re actually paying any real attention or just going through the motions.

I get some interesting reactions to some of the dates I give!!

11/11/1918?  :rolleyes:  :o

On 4/13/2021 at 7:49 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Yes. No doubt. It's my birthday. So, I know how old I am.

23 or 24?

In the hospital, they ask your name and date of birth EVERYTIME they walk into the room....EVERYTIME. I was in there for 10 days (bacterial pneumonia) and you kind of get bored when you're not being tortured by the staff, so I though about how old I was several times.

Funny part was that when they wheeled me down to get the tubes out of my back, you are parked into a kind of stall with curtains on either side of you. Other patients that you can't see behind the curtains. Well, they didn't ask my name, for once, and they took the tubes out anyway, walked away and disappeared behind some doors across the hall. After about 5 minutes, the lady behind the desk says "We never asked your name, you are ****  ******, right"? Being a smart ass, I said "Who"?. She repeated my name and I said "No".  She (obviously concerned now) say "What is your name"?. I replied "Jacob McCandles" with as straight a face as I could. Before she could say anything, a guy on the other side of the curtain says "I thought you was dead". I busted out laughing which hurt like hell. She didn't think it was funny. I've remembered how old I was ever since.

Yes I always know exactly how old I am.

a statistical anomaly from the census numbers. Every decennial, it looks like the oldest in our population were born on the first of the month. It appears that people not born on the first die off fastest.

I've gone through that "What's your birthday?" routine ad infinitum every time I go to the doctor.  They want to be sure they've got the right victim.  I tell them the correct date.  It's for my protection.  My wife will only tell them the day and month! :rolleyes:  What got both of us, was when we visited our tax attorney the other day to sign our returns.  I happened to mention that my father and his brother were law partners in their own practice, and that my Dad lived next door to Clarence Darrow, and as a young teen, would often take walks with the famous attorney.  (I asked Dad if those walks had inspired him to become a lawyer. He replied, no!"  Well, our young attorney asked, "Clarence Who?"  He'd never heard of Darrow, nor about the "Scopes Monkey Trial", where John Scopes was on trial for teaching evolution in Tennessee, and was defended by Darrow.  Nor had he heard of or seen the movie, "Inherit The Wind", about the trial.  The movie came out in 1956 (IIRC), which was very interesting...because my eighth grade English teacher was Lila Scopes, John Scopes sister! B)  

What is really funny or at least leaves me shaking my head, is when some of these quiz show contestants can't answer things from the 1940's, '50's and sometimes even the '60's.  Of course, I can't answer most of the music questions from the 60's on. 

Archived