SASS Wire Forum

RECOIL 45-70 and others...

Pat Riot

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Rooster, it’s good to hear from you. Belly up to the bar. Bottles, please give Rooster what he fancies. It’s on me...just put it on that tab right there...never mind it says OLG on it. That don’t mean nothin’. He’ll just pawn it off on someone else...;)

Rooster, did you get the steel or brass-like receiver on your single shot?

Even though I got the steel model it sure is pretty. 
59864BDA-E270-4054-94E2-2675E612203F.thumb.jpeg.67216eccdafe3850f079555df3c6998e.jpeg

I got the Steal single shot and the Brass Carbine. 

Thank you for the beer .

God bless Pard.

Rooster 

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Or are facing a charging Cape Buffalo and have no other choice? :o

Double rifles in express calibers are only intended to be fired when staring down the barrels at a dangerous game charging right at you. Got to have the adrenaline really pumping so you don't notice the recoil. ;)

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Or are facing a charging Cape Buffalo and have no other choice? :o

I fired three rounds though one when I was a 2d LT.  I gave the three empties and the one loaded round handed them back to the LtCol who owned the gun.

He asked if I was going to shoot any more and I told him I had a sore shoulder, a bruised cheek and chin, and didn't want to risk a detached retina just to prove how macho I was.

He grinned and told me he thought I'd get along better than most young officers because I didn't take any unnecessary chances and I wasn't afraid to to tell a LtCol that I thought he was a dumb ass. 

I told him I never said that and he said that it was very clear what I thought.  Three years later I was a Captain and he was a Battalion Commander in Vietnam, and he made me his Battalion Staff Supply Officer.  I tried my best to do a good job for him and he proved to be a man who stood up for his people .

As to the Cape Buff, I think I'd rather try to beat him to death with the rifle Instead of firing one again.  That SOB HURT!

A lot.

I fired a bolt action 50 BMG once...Once!
It wasn’t so much the recoil as the giant dust cloud that erupted and listening to the butthole that brought it out to our shoot whine and cry about the cost of ammo at five bucks a pop. 
I got up, dusted myself off and handed him five bucks and told him to shut the (bleep) up about it and to put his gun away. I started to keep the empty case but he whined about that so I gave it to him. 

I found my recoil limit one day while developing loads to regulate a .470 Nitro Express , it was a Rigbys "Best" double Rifle 30 shots Shots out of each barrel of the bench Plus 4 more shot out of each barrel off Tall Sticks ,,,, That was my limit ....

My customer was so pleased with My stock work and Regulation load work that he sends me photo of his BIG Game taken in Arica, 40 head so far ....

Jabez Cowboy 

Archived