SASS Wire Forum

Now they are attacking computer jargon.

I started programming computers in 1964, retired a few years ago, spent quite a bit of time with the evolution of the technology.  In former days more than now, when we attached a device, most commonly a printer, to the computer they had what we called a master-slave relation ship, the computer told the printer what to and the printer did it, no questions asked.

some people don’t like the term master-slave. My reaction “get over it, just don’t put your computer in a white case and the printer in black”

Most computer jargon should have been attacked years ago. :lol:

A few months ago I heard a woman at work vehemently chastising a guy for using “that word.” As I walked into the conference room I said “What word is the problem?”. She said “He said ‘dongle’! I find that word offensive!”

I said “How about you look up the word instead of inferring a meaning that is more in line with your way of thinking?”

I then walked out. I heard no more about it. 

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I started programming computers in 1964, retired a few years ago, spent quite a bit of time with the evolution of the technology. 

some people don’t like the term master-slave. My reaction “get over it, just don’t put your computer in a white case and the printer in black”

Another old time from the Dark Side...

As to the snowflakes...

86 A4 83 92 40 7D 85 94

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

What are the less than 1% going to do when they find out cars have master and slave brake cylinders?

How about ever thing you plug in has male prongs going into a female receptacle?  Or male and female ends of pipe?

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What if you have a black computer and a white printer? :D 

Then there was the guy from Bell Labs who was interviewing for a position as assistant professor.he was giving a presentation on computer syntax. He described the characters he would use in the talk. He wrote < > on the board, and said “ or as we say at Bell Labs, left tit, right tit.  Many left the room. Needless to say he was not hired.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Didn't LE trainers have to deal with similar crap? Like how "hostage" targets are white while the bad guys are brown cardboard?

That's why they came up with Smurf targets. It was so offensive that the cops were shooting at black silhouettes, but with blue ones who could they be training to kill?

B-21E-BLUE-2018-L.jpg

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That's why they came up with Smurf targets. It was so offensive that the cops were shooting at black silhouettes, but with blue ones who could they be training to kill?

Maybe it's OK to train cops to kill other cops? I'll bet Rashida Talib would approve.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I'll keep my political comment to myself.:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

B-21E-BLUE-2018-L.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Bolians are gonna have a word or two about that !   :mellow:

On another firearms forum some years back, they had to tweak the censor software.

While using any language workarounds (to get around the censor software) was also strictly against the rules, nobody got in trouble for writing "de-rooster" or "de-c#@k."

It became a running joke until a fix was found.

Similarly on a new automotive forum, had to write the engine timing was "under-advanced" or "r3t@rd3d." Until that too was fixed.

Context and intent matter, words are a tool for communication and multiple meanings require context to infer offense. Well, except when it is a trigger independent of meaning or context.

Frankly, I saw having to do workarounds because of nanny software drew more attention to the alternate meanings. And caused a lot of bad jokes running right up to rule lines.

Applying nanny-state thinking to ordinary conversation were context must be set aside in favor of "non-offensive" words will become the language equivalent of getting blisters from tight shoes.

Now please excuse me while I get on my carry rig; I need to focus and make sure I de-rooster my firearm before putting it in my holster. :lol:

23 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

What are the less than 1% going to do when they find out cars have master and slave brake cylinders?

IF they don’t like it I’d be happy to take the cylinders out for them. Then I’d suggest they go on a nice long drive.

3 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

While using any language workarounds (to get around the censor software) was also strictly against the rules, nobody got in trouble for writing "de-rooster" or "de-c#@k."

I was on a board where someone had written im***sible. I looked at that for the longest time before I realized that the nanny-ware had edited out POS.

Howdy,

Sometimes I wonder how much more would get done if self appointed

experts didnt have to fuss about every little thing.

Hours and hours of real valuable computer programmer time was

wasted due to a missing apostrophe.

I wanted to write it up and send it to a newspaper.

I wanted to document the wasted tax dollars but my boss said no.

I wondered what would happen if the self appointed expert got a 

bill for the programmer time and the computer test run time.

This was at a time when companies needed programmers so bad

that they offered college juniors jobs with real healthy paychecks.

Some of those folks still dont have quite enuf hours to get a degree.

But they do have Porches... stuff like that....

Best

CR

On 4/13/2021 at 8:43 AM, Hendo said:

01001100 01001111 01001100

Shame on you Hendo you know better than to say that:P

4 minutes ago, twelve mile REB said:

Shame on you Hendo you know better than to say that:P

Oh Yeah, like I ever let knowin better ever stop me before. :D

4 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Oh Yeah, like I ever let knowin better ever stop me before. :D

01010011 1110011000 10101010

I first encountered the shock and disapproval of the computer terms back in the mid '80's.  Would you believe, in San Francisco~?   :mellow:

"......Context and intent matter, words are a tool for communication and multiple meanings require context to infer offense..........." 

thats well said , "they" need to quit messing with our language - being "offended" is a personal thing that each individual needs to deal with personally , 'its not our problem it is yours' adjust , ignore , argue if you wish but dont be surprised if we ignore you , life is not fair , nor will it unfold on your terms just because you demand it ,  what you heard was not necessarily what was said - then again maybe it was , live with it 

About 20 years ago I had a safe work permit audited , the thing they found wrong “yes they always find something wrong” was I wrote manhole in the description instead of person hole . I told them if I did that no one would know what I was talking about. They weren’t amused. PC started a long time ago 

Archived