SASS Wire Forum

bottom shelf whisky

Highwall

Bottom shelf:  Black Velvet.
This is for medicinal purposes only, don't drink other than a cold beer now again.
On the very rare occasion when I'm really down sick... put this over ice, sit in bed, read until fall asleep.
Wake up, rinse and repeat.

Any wine or whiskey is about individual taste. And some economic selections are better than the sell your car selections.

Right now I like Bulleit in both rye and regular. I like Old Overholdt rye which is really cheap compared to others.

Jack Daniels for me is the Budweiser of bourbons. It's OK but I avoid it if I can.

I've had Johnny Walker red to blue and yes their is a difference, but not a $200 difference. And yes I know its Scotch, just making a point

Pappy is an urban hype that the whiskey snobs promoted.

I was kinda hooked on bourbon for awhile until my son went to the distillery in Dublin and brought me a bottle of Jameson "Distillery Edition" with my name printed on the label!  I don't know how much he paid for it but I got hooked.  That bottle, of course, has been empty for a number of years, but I haven't and will not throw it away.    

My favourite tipple is Beefeater Gin and tonic water in summer and Bacardi 8 or 10 year old in winter. (Smooooth)

On 4/12/2021 at 9:41 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It takes a lot o& research to find out what suits you in beverages. Price has nothing to do with it. It’s strictly an individual taste thing. Wine and liquor snobs be damned. I spent a long time researching wines. I have a list of several hundred. Some of the top shelf ones were great! Some were not at all. Same for the bottom shelf ones. 
I watch The Whiskey Vault guys on you tube. I’ve gotten some good tips from them.

Unfortunately I’m on the wagon right now but the study of adult beverages still interests me a lot.

I really enjoyed the Clontarf you recommended.

9 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

My favourite tipple is Beefeater Gin and tonic water in summer and Bacardi 8 or 10 year old in winter. (Smooooth)

My daughter can make me the best Beefeater dirty gin martini using Dolin Dry vermouth and two olives. I'm a nightly 3 shot whisky drinker but it only takes one of these fantastic martini's to have me shut the front door! :) 

Even when I eventually got to the place where I could afford the high-price stuff, I found I still prefer the old standby brands, the price of which remains reasonable. Evan Williams (they have a bonded bottle, too), Jim Beam, Old Crow, and a couple of others.

For me high-end is Old Granddad, which was my daddy's brand. I buy it now and then.

Archived