SASS Wire Forum

bottom shelf whisky

Highwall

I enjoy a glass or two in the evenings. For years I thought Crown Royal was the answer. I'd tried Old Crow, Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Jameson and many many others and most were good but not my thing.

Jack Daniels was out because it hurt my head the next morning.

I finally decided the best for me was Rye and Canadian. Once it tried Northern Lights on the bottom shelf I was hooked, It was very inexpensive, tasted real good and no negative results the next day no matter how much I drank. 

Many times I have mistakenly thought that the more expensive the drink, the better it is going to taste. 

Actually I have found that whatever tastes the best, and doesn't leave a negative experience, is the best, regardless of cost. 

There are some fairly cheap wines out there, that I prefer, over some more highly expensive ones.

Sounds like you hit on the best one for you. That doesn't mean you will never experiment with other types/prices, but this one works for you.

I say...bottom shelf...or top shelf...if you are happy with it, then it really IS top shelf.

It takes a lot o& research to find out what suits you in beverages. Price has nothing to do with it. It’s strictly an individual taste thing. Wine and liquor snobs be damned. I spent a long time researching wines. I have a list of several hundred. Some of the top shelf ones were great! Some were not at all. Same for the bottom shelf ones. 
I watch The Whiskey Vault guys on you tube. I’ve gotten some good tips from them.

Unfortunately I’m on the wagon right now but the study of adult beverages still interests me a lot.

Once you have zeroed in on the whiskey you like best it's nice to be able just sit back relax and enjoy a glass in the evening in your warm robe, legs up on the ottoman with  a pipe full of good tobacco or a premium cigar, with the fireplace glowing close by! Then life is good!

You can forget about the hype and ruthless world of advertising to make a dollars profit and rest you're laurels on a good night cap that's suits your taste.

Although it may not be considered "bottom shelf," Bookers Bourbon is very nice, especially neat.

Howdy,

I always enjoyed doing my own research.

I never understood the bourbon vs scotch thing.

I found a few of each to be disgusting and a few

of each to be excellent.

Cutty comes to mind. but Im limited as to how many.....meds.

Lucky I can ave any.....

Best

CR

Lord Calvert ain't bad Canadian whisky (not something that I drink regularly but have been known to buy a bottle or 3).  I like Evan Williams better than Jack Daniels (and at a MUCH better price) and Carolan's Irish Creme drinks just like Bailey's- but at about half the price and comes in a cool looking blue bottle.  For a Rye, I was partial to Beam's Rye when I was drinking it.

Then again, I'm a cheap drunk and giving me high dollar likker is a waste.

2 hours ago, Don Jorge said:

Although it may not be considered "bottom shelf," Bookers Bourbon is very nice, especially neat.

Bookers is my favorite. I've got an unopened bottle of one of their special editions.  Just might open it on my birthday th his month!

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I like Evan Williams better than Jack Daniel

Evan is my go-to bourbon, although I'm kind of partial to Bulleit as well. The problem with Evan is that it went up $2/half gallon. I used to be able to get it for $15.95 at WalMarts in Nevada when I was driving through and now it's $17.95... :D

4 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Can someone recommend some inexpensive Irish whiskey? I liked my first bottle of Jameson but think I might like to try some others. 

Our Sam’s Club sells the large 1.75 liter bottle of Jamison’s for $34, which is pretty cheap.  Powers Gold Label has recently showed up at $33 per fifth. Slane is relatively cheap at $26 if you like a whiskey that has been aged in sherry casks.  Tulamore Dew and Bushmill’s are quite nice, and cost about half as much as Redbreast,  which is top end for me.

Enjoy!

3 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Can someone recommend some inexpensive Irish whiskey? I liked my first bottle of Jameson but think I might like to try some others. 

Powers is good Irish. Their Three Swallows used to be wonderful. Not sure if it's still made. And again, my view of inexpensive may be totally different from yours.

3 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Clontarf! 
https://www.crownwineandspirits.com/clontarf-irish-whiskey-750ml/

10 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Henry McKenna.  I have to drive to either Mississippi or Tennessee to routinely get it, but it's worth it.  

It’s about the only bourbon that I drink. If it was good enough for Skeeter it’s good enough for me. Bourbon is one of the few things that you don’t necessarily get what you pay for 

Is this thread seriously describing beverages like Crown Royal, Old Crow, Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Jameson, and Jack Daniels as "bottom shelf" whisky?

Well friends, come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed, and his favorite bottom shelf drink named "Military Special"

It can be found on the bottom shelf of an AAFES Class-6 store just a few inches from the floor.   A bottle of "Military Special" will set you back less than ten bucks.   Looking down at your feet and seeing that 9 dollar plastic bottle of generic bourbon sets the image of few lower enlisted troops, broke bored and still several days from payday.  The group cleaning out their ashtrays and putting their money for a bottle of booze to sip on while they play pool in the day room.

Now for the interesting part...

Military Special is a Kentucky straight Bourbon, currently produced by the Barton Distillery.  That's right - the same place that makes 1792 and Kentucky Tavern.  It comes in a wonderfully designed plastic bottle with a label that squeals out at you that this bourbon is only good for use in marinades, or maybe even as an inexpensive substitute for carburetor cleaner. 

Au contraire mes amis.

It isn't bad.  It certainly isn't Pappy Van Winkle, but it isn't bad.

At one point, the contract for Military Special belonged to Heavens Hill Distillery, which also makes Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, and Old Fitzgerald.  Then it was turned over to Sazerac and then to Bartons.  Most of the MILLIONS of Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen that have walked past rows of Military Special in the years since it first hit the Class-6 stores waaay back in the early 1940's have just written it off as pure swill without ever so much as throwing back a shot.  Millions of troops have 'gone thirsty' in fear that the plastic bottle would produce something that tasted more like kerosene than bourbon.   The juice resting in that 9 dollar plastic bottle is also charcoal filtered - just like Jack Daniels.  Oddly enough, for as much as people seem to look down their nose at Military Special Kentucky Bourbon, it never seems to stay on the shelves long enough to collect dust.

Admittedly, at only 80 proof, you aren't going to see John Wick sipping on it while he is resting up for his next underworld onslaught - but for less than 10 bucks a bottle, it's not too bad.

On 4/13/2021 at 7:58 AM, Don Jorge said:

From my experience and depending on which label, Booker's is dang near miss a car payment price tag!

I thought I'd try that Michter's bourbon they speak so highly of in the video - the two liquor stores I went to never heard of it, the owner of the local pub for the past nearly 50 years has never heard of it, and it's not in the state liquor warehouse catalog, so... ?

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I have had 3 very fine, high $$ bottles in my life...all supplied for by someone else!!!!

That’s the trick isn’t it? :lol:

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2021 at 7:49 AM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

By the third shot, what's taste got to do with it?

I can still savor the flavor on the third glass but after 5 I don't know if I still have one in the chamber!:huh: 

images.jpg

On 4/13/2021 at 4:55 AM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Henry McKenna.  I have to drive to either Mississippi or Tennessee to routinely get it, but it's worth it.  

One of the best kept secrets on a great tasting bourbon! Last year’s batch was rated #1 bourbon & it’s extremely well priced if you can find it!

Sazerac Rye if you can find it. Very smooooooth. Price varies quite a bit. I paid $24.94/bottle in New Orleans, $25.99 in Grand Island, $27 ish in TX most places, but it's priced 2x that locally in DooDah, KS. :blink:

Archived