SASS Wire Forum

Oklahoma Dee and the Cowboy way.

Hoss

I had the pleasure of shooting with Oklahoma Dee at Comancheria Days last week. For those of you that don’t know Dee he is a very accomplished shooter and is a always a favorite for not only catagory but overall at any match he goes to.  

Last Friday, 1st stage, first gun, he missed his holster. Dropped gun, SDQ. He cleared his guns, brought then to his cart, came back to line ready to resume posse chores. Never a sour look, a pout, or anything but smiles and helpful for the rest of the match, even though he knew he was out of the running for any awards. I hope if I ever have a similar misfortune I can handle it with as much grace and class as Oklahoma Dee did. 

I’d ride the river any day with Oklahoma Dee!  Way to “Cowboy up”!

What you described is exactly why I'm a member of SASS. I won't name names so as not to steal Oklahoma Dee's spotlight but I've seen this a number of times.  My second match ever was relatively big, it was the club's annual.  Early on I watch someone moving from one shooting position to another carrying a loaded gun.  Along the way his shoulder his a post and caused him to turn and sweep the folks at the loading table.  MDQ.  He did exactly as you described.  Went to the unloading table and followed proper protocol.  Put his things away in his gun cart and continued to perform posse duties for two days even though he was out of the match.  He even took the time to coach a newbie like me.  I was dumbfounded.  After participating in a variety of other shooting sports for decades and seeing well known champions act like spoiled children when something didn't go their way this was absolutely shocking to me.  I even asked one of the other club members about it.  He just shrugged and said, "That's the Cowboy way."  I sold most all of my modern guns soon after to buy more cowboy guns and have never looked back. 

Dee is a class act and a great competitor 

Always a smile & a handshake & a "How ya doin'". Exemplary individual - for sure !

I’ve had the pleasure of knowing and shooting with Dee for several years now. I was on the posse and so used to seeing him handle himself just like he did that I barely noticed.  He is always a Cowboy to ride the trail with.

OK Dee is also a heck of a TO as well.  He saved me multiple seconds on a stage at the annual match.  Shotgun targets were very sticky and didn't fall well.  Everyone was yelling 'UP' on my last set and I was close to reloading 2 more that would have cost me some time.  He stopped me just in time as the target finally fell.  Sharp eye!

Totes

One of my favorite Cowboys. He is always kind and supportive, even if he is competing against you.  People like Dee are what make SASS what it is.  

Every time I remember seeing him he's either working or smiling. Usually both. 

Darn good fella. :D

The man can shoot a SAA faster than I can shoot an automatic.  Fully automatic SAA.  I once asked Dee if he would teach me how he shoots so fast.  He arranged to put on a class for anyone interested on our club's practice day.  I couldn't make it that day and I still kick myself.  I'm hoping he will do another one some day. 

There's a lot of good people who play this game and he's in the upper echelon. 

Archived