SASS Wire Forum

Sale from CA to NV

German Jim

If a California resident were to sell a firearm to a Nevada resident, is there a DROS requirement for Nevada?  How would the California resident's record of ownership be removed from California's Automated Firearms System?  Does anyone know?

TIA

For the first part (selling to a buyer in NV), send it to an FFL of the buyer's choosing from an FFL of your choosing.

For the second part (removing from the CA registry), I suggest calling the state for clarification before selling a firearm out of state. In state is easy, the legislation lays out the process. When calling the state, keep in mind they will only provide guidance for CA state law, they will not answer for any Federal requirements.

Frankly, having just looked out of curiosity, I suspect the state of CA never considered that a firearm would ever leave the state.

I suggest you just go ahead and sell the revolver to the guy Nevada and forget about it.  Just make sure the guy Nevada FIRST signs off on a letter that says he bought the revolver from you. The letter should state all the pertinent information; names and addresses, serial number of the weapon, etc.

If the state of California even has a record of your ownership of the revolver (lower than 50-50 chance they do).....they're really sloppy....the may want a copy of your private-party sale/transfer letter.  So, if you’re nervous, give them a call and tell them you sold it to a guy in Nevada, that you no longer own it, and the weapon is no longer in The State of California.  If California wants to make a record if your telephone call(s) with them, let’em. That’s how I would do it.  They are so sloppy about stuff like this, in my view, it’s unlikely they’ll record anything.  That’s been my experience with them, anyway; that they seem pretty much disinterested.  

But, do what you think is best.

CatBrules

Nevada does not have a DROS system like California.  As for selling from a California to a Nevada resident, John Kloehr has it right; ship CA FFL to NV FFL.  There are no more legal private party sales in Nevada even between Nevada residents; the Blue Nevada legislature did away with that as of 1/1/20. I have never heard of a legal private party sale between residents of two different states; if that ever was so, it would have been long before I started  SASS...

Archived