SASS Wire Forum

Question for an LEO

This afternoon around 4:45 I noticed my phone was missing. The last place I recalled having it was while getting a Covid vaccine around 10 this morning.

I drove to the center and found it closed, then went to the lobby and tapped on the door to get the security guard’s attention.  He looked to be in his late 60s, came over and opened the door.  While explaining about the phone I felt a drop of snot dripping out of my nose due to all the pollen in the air.

Before the sneeze began, the guard had broken the thumb strap and drawn his Glock halfway out of the holster.

While watching this unfold I pulled my hands out, put them clear in the air, took two steps back, and let the impending sneeze loose and blew snot all over my lips and chin. So goes life.

The security guard’s only comment was, “I am a retired cop and we are trained to draw whenever someone puts their hands in their pockets.”

??????!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!

If I had been too focused on the sneeze and not noticed his draw, to what point would his “training” have taken him?

Was this guy an anomaly or is this what our society has devolved to?

Idiot. Probably a fired cop not a retired one. Or maybe just a wannabe that never even got into the academy. That is NOT standard training.

When someone puts there hands in their pockets you tell them to take them out where you can see them. You don't pull your pistol;. That moron is a danger. I'd report his stupid a$$ in a minute.

Kinda like an old folks home - lots of depends.  At what point did you put your hands into your pockets?  I must assume at least one was out of the pocket when you knocked on the door.  If both in pockets I'd have to wonder why he unlocked the door without first asking you to remove your hands from your pockets.  If you put your hand(s) into your pocket(s) when he started to open the door that could set off some red flags to him.  What, exactly, did you do when you felt the sneeze coming on and where was he in his action of unlocking and opening the door?  You were there, after hours, asking him to unlock and open the closed business asking him to believe you weren't there with bad intent.   Nothing against you or what you did.   I WASN'T  there, so I can't know all the facts or what he was thinking.

Generally speaking, cops aren't taught to draw on a person just because he has his hands in his pockets.  But in this day of cops being ambushed and killed just for being cops it's a good idea to be on your guard.  My good friend was murdered by a guy that just walked up to his patrol car and started shooting.  I know lots of cops that will draw a gun (not being obvious) when someone walks up to them  while they are stopped in their car somewhere, just in case things go south in a hurry.  If not needed, it can be reholstered and no one is the wiser.  If needed, it's out and ready.

I've known other guys that drew their pistols when a pickup with a couple guys pulled onto the almost empty lot where they were talking with friends at 0230 hrs.  They got out of the truck and started to approach the group when one of the guys in the group made it known he was armed and it would probably be a good idea for the interlopers to leave.  Luckily they did.  No one had a gun pointed at them and everyone went home safe.

On the other hand, UB may be right.  He may just be an idiot.

Anybody that waits until shots are being fired to draw his weapon is a  fool and/or not paying enough attention.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Just an alternative opinion.

Angus

When I came on in 74 that is not how we were trained.

Sorri Charlie, but you looked GUILTY.   You assaulted his doughnut break..... ;)

Personally, I would report him to the folks that hired him (or his security company) AND I would also

report him to the BCSO.   I don't think they like security guards drawing down on folks without due

cause.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

At what point did you put your hands into your pockets? 

I'm assuming that that was left out of his story.

His nose was starting to drip, and then the security guard pulls a gun. He pulls his hands out of his pocket and holds them up in the air and blows snot all over his chin.

I'm guessing that he left out the sentence about when he felt his nose starting to run he put his hand in his pocket for his handkerchief.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

I'm assuming that that was left out of his story.

His nose was starting to drip, and then the security guard pulls a gun. He pulls his hands out of his pocket and holds them up in the air and blows snot all over his chin.

I'm guessing that he left out the sentence about when he felt his nose starting to run he put his hand in his pocket for his handkerchief.

Yes, that’s the missing section.

Nose drip.

Reach for handkerchief.

Gun out.

Hands out.

Snot on face.

Archived