SASS Wire Forum

Another young man shot by police!

Trailrider #896

A Minneapolis-area female police officer stopped a 20-year old Black man for a traffic stop. Not sure what happened, but the victim was in the driver's seat with the door open.  Body cam hears officer shout, "Tazer", but pulls gun instead.  Gun fires, man dead!  Officer cries, "I shot him!"  Police chief says it was an AD!  According to reports on Fox, officer had been on force for some time.  If this scenario is correct, sounds like poor training.  At least one police station is being heavily guarded and national guard on scene.  Pray there is no rioting and burning tonight!  Pray for young man and his family.  Pray for the cop. If this was truly an accident, aside from legal ramifications, she will have to live with this for the rest of her life! :(

Common denominator....broken laws, outstanding warrants, failure to comply....99% have these in common.  Eliminate any of the first 3 and an unnecessary death doesn’t happen.  No one will focus on first 3, everyone will focus on the 4th thing.  Put yourself in a position that if a mistake happens you don’t die....pretty simple. 

Dana Loesch reported on her radio program that the guy had a warrant out for his arrest because he didn’t show up for a court date for carrying a gun being underage. He struggled with the female cop and broke away to his car. She may have thought he had a gun in his car! The chief of police said the LEO pulled out her gun instead of her taser by accident. Hmmmm...... If the victim would have complied he would still be alive ! Unbelievable!!

Sadly we no longer hold people accountable for physically resisting the police. There was a time where if you did that and got shot, well tough luck for you.

Anyway, this is definitely not the first time a cop meant to draw a Taser and drew their gun instead. Considering the fact that Tasers and Glocks both have nearly identical pistol grips and only the Taser has a manual safety I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Dana Loesch reported on her radio program that the guy had a warrant out for his arrest because he didn’t show up for a court date for carrying a gun being underage. He struggled with the female cop and broke away to his car. She may have thought he had a gun in his car! The chief of police said the LEO pulled out get gun instead if her taser by accident. Hmmmm...... 

In 2002 a local officer intended to TASER a man handcuffed in the back seat of her cruiser, but mistakenly shot him with her "department issued handgun."  

A few days later I had a conversation with the recently retired Chief (SASS member and fellow King's River Regulator).  After noting the timeliness of his retiring, the discussion became serious.  The Chief told me that the potential of mistakenly drawing a handgun instead of a TASER had been recognized; he and others had strongly recommended against wearing the two on the same side, and he had initiated a policy change toward that end - it had not yet been adopted.

Link to story:  https://www.llrmi.com/articles/legal_update/2011_9th_torres/

For what it's worth, the officer did continue her career.  It will be interesting to see if her case us used as a precedent argument with reviews of the Minnesota incident.

Not sure what happened

That says it all. Until the investigation is concluded I don't make judgements. Especially based on media reports.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That says it all. Until the investigation is concluded I don't make judgements. Especially based on media reports.

Bingo. My trust in the media is even lower than politicians.

I'm surprise that when she pulled him over for ANY specific reason, why didn't she ask for Back-up

before trying to handle the situation alone.

I mean, did she pull him over because there was a warrant out for his arrest because

of underage firearms possession?   If so, she should have requested backup.

..........Widder

22 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I'm surprise that when she pulled him over for ANY specific reason, why didn't she ask for Back-up

before trying to handle the situation alone..

..........Widder

According to his mother, (a reliable source if ever there was one), he was pulled over for having an air freshener hanging from his mirror. :blink:

The Brooklyn Center Police Department released the officers body cam footage which clearly shows what happened. YouTube clicky)

Meanwhile in other news that are not getting major coverage.

Tennessee High school student was shot and killed after opening fire on officers responding to man with a gun at the school, wounding one officer

LINK

and 3 officers wounded, 1 suspect dead in Georgia during traffic stop Link

Could be true.  Probably, the guy was alone in the car, and she didn’t like his looks, became frightened, and went directly to guns.  

I had something similar happen to me and a friend.  We were ordered out of my car, the cop went for his gun and I told him to stop!!, and radio for backup.  The responding officer (less than a minute) flew out of his vehicle with his weapon drawn, saw it was me, holstered his weapon, and told the other cop to holster his weapon (the other cop was senior, but did as he was told).  The second cop  was a friend from our UT classes.  I taught him about handling his revolver (he’d  never handled a revolver) and I helped him study to be a civilian police officer.  He’d done 2 tours in Nam and was a natural leader (but didn’t realize it).   He married an exquisitely beautiful sorority girl that he had a hopeless crush on, from one of our UT classes.  She wouldn’t give him the time of day.....initially, anyway.   :-)

We were friends for a long time, but I went to Austin and lost track of them over the years.  He did encourage me to break up with a girl I was dating.....glad I took his advice.  :-)

CatBrules

bodycam footage is out/ not to monday morning qb but with that many officers on scene, dude should’ve been proned out on the ground

i agree, none of these deaths would’ve occured had the perps just complied.  

My dad was a cop. My uncle was a deputy US Marshall. Seven or eight of my classmates/friends became LEOs! I have/had numerous police officers as friends over the years.

Time and time again, I’ve heard one or another or more tell of senseless actions by suspects where an officer or officers were put in dangerous or deadly situations.  

We expect officers to put their lives on the line to protect the population!  They step into harm’s way again and again, dealing with people who resent them and the laws that they are called on to enforce.  

When an idiot law breaker refuses to comply with instructions given to them by an officer, especially one in uniform, they put themselves in jeopardy!!  The more animated/violent these dimwits resist complying with instructions/orders the closer they come to forcing the responding officers to escalate the level of force!!

It should be simple!! Resisting arrest or refusing to comply with a lawful order can get you injured or killed.  Co-operate and you’re level of danger decreases exponentially!! 

In nearly every case we’ve seen recently, the subject refused to comply, or worse, became belligerent/violent in response to the officers on the scene and the media has sided with, what in almost every case, has been a suspected and or convicted violent offender!!

Frankly, I’m sick of seeing these thugs being excused, described as heroes, and nominated for sainthood, because they broke the law, resisted arrest, and got themselves killed for their efforts!!

I will let the investigation continue before commenting much. I will say there are very few accidental discharges. Negligent discharges, whether through bad habits, poor or improper training or simple momentary brain fade, yes. Even discharges that can be directly related to the firearm itself can often be attributed to poor maintenance or modifications, and challenges the definition of accidental. If the officer did indeed intend to use her taser, which from the footage I have heard, seems apparent, then it is a training issue. She clearly shouted "taser, taser, taser" in the footage. I will add training would include placement of the device on the uniform, and could lay partial blame elsewhere, but ultimately she pulled the trigger.

Sadly, a life is over, regardless of what he may have done and how he utilized it. There are very few situations where I can say a person deserved to die, and I find no solace in his death based on the life he lived. I feel sympathy for him, his family and friends. I feel true sympathy for the officer, who will live with what happened for the rest of her life, and may very well face criminal charges as a result. 

having seen the video and the coverage - we are in for another long trial and more unrest , but our glorious governor has it under control with a 7pm-6am curfew , im sure everyone will comply and he wont need to call on any sources to maintain the peace - last night withstanding the same lake street riots/looting and that in brooklyn center were just an anomaly , 

i agree with UB on reserving any opinions till way more facts are out , the black male cop that lost control of the perp with a warrant was not the shooter and yes that white lay cop did call out tazer then shot the perp at near point blank range across him at near as close range as the cop that shot the aussie lady here a couple years back , so there will be a lot of first hand -eye witness- info provided at trial , why are the tazers made exactly like the service pieces ? under stress way too confusing , 

i am pro cop , i fear that all three of these instances will allow the anti groups way too much leverage over our future law enforcement status , very unfortunate situation to be in , and if you add that fourth we had even tho it was not the same it fuels the fire way too much , 

edited to note - this was not an AD , from the video it was intended , but from the video i think unintentional gunfire in that i believe it was thought the tazer was deployed , 

21 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

"Defund the Police."  What mental midget came up that idea?

Mental Midgets with political clout and completely un-American agendas, morals, ethics and ideals. 

58 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

"Defund the Police."  What mental midget came up that idea?

36 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Mental Midgets with political clout and completely un-American agendas, morals, ethics and ideals. 

That was their solution last year.:angry:

Michigan democrat Rashida Talib is calling for the complete END of policing period! These people have no idea what they're talking about and are preying on the hearts of people in these situations! Complete lunacy! She wants attention and will get it!:angry:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Especially when other contestants are armed, as part of their job requirement.

12 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

before trying to handle the situation alone.

I mean, did she pull him over because there was a warrant out for his arrest because

of underage firearms possession?   If so, she should have requested backup.

..........Widder

Multiple officers on the scene at the time of the shooting. 

11 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

According to his mother, (a reliable source if ever there was one), he was pulled over for having an air freshener hanging from his mirror. :blink:

Expired registration was the initial infraction. When it was ran the registered owner had an outstanding warrant. I believe that is why backup was called.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Michigan democrat Rashida Talib is calling for the complete END of policing period! These people have no idea what they're talking about and are preying on the hearts of people in these situations! Complete lunacy! She wants attention and will get it!:angry:

Maybe a couple of weeks of blue flu in her neighborhood?

I am fighting from speaking my mind. Thankfully I won.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

She'll be getting attention shortly anyway. I understand that Nancy Pelosi bitch slapped her, and the other 3 goofballs in Gang of Four, in her new book. And, she's on record as calling them immature. Stopped jus short of saying "not office holding worthy".

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

She wants no police, and no citizens lawfully carrying guns. Of course she is Palestinian so I think that basically says it all.

Someone should tell Ms. Talib to want in one hand and take a dump in the other and see which one fills up!!

She should have to spend time on the front line of law enforcement for a few months and THEN make her plea!!

5 hours ago, Noz said:

Maybe a couple of weeks of blue flu in her neighborhood?

Maybe an outbreak when the local PD is scheduled to provide security for her next speaking engagement?

Then again, she's Hamas' representative in the US House, so I'm sure they would be more than happy to provide her with security.

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I bet she plans to keep enough police to keep her protected. She should do away with the capital police first and see how that works out 

Archived