SASS Wire Forum

Shoulder-stocks for Colt cap & ball reproduction revolvers???

Blu Nos Dav

There seems to be a whole lot of Colt reproduction cap & ball revolvers that are/were "made" to accept a shoulder-stock, and yet there are very few (if any?) actual shoulder stocks available.  I own a third generation (signature series) Colt 1861 Navy that has the frame-cuts and extra large frame screws for mounting a shoulder stock.  But to my knowledge, neither Colt nor Uberti (which made the parts for Colt to finish & assemble) have ever made shoulder stocks to go with these type guns.  The only shoulder stocks that I have ever found are made by Pietta, and they don't fit my Colt Navy. I actually bought a Pietta stock and found this out the hard way.

So, why did Colt make so many of these shoulder stock "capable" guns:  both 2nd & 3rd generation 1860 Armies and 3rd gen. 1861 Navies, without any shoulder stocks to go with them?  And why does Uberti continue to do so for themselves, Cimarron and Taylors???

Is/was there a secret batch of Uberti/Colt shoulder stocks produced once upon a time?

The gun parts for your gun were made by Uberti.
When the Italian companies picked a gun to copy, for some reason, they picked one cut for a shoulder stock, so, most of the Italian repros are of that configuration.

There are a number of ASM shoulder stocks floating around, and they frequently show up on fleabay.

--Dawg

Thanx Dawg, I do appreciate your research on my behalf.

But, those stocks are made for Pietta guns, which won't fit my 1861 Navy (assembled & finished by Colt from parts manufactured by Uberti). Been there, done that, didn't fit, and had to return the stock.

I understand that sometimes foreign companies just "pick" a certain model/variation from history and then run with it. But, any gun that's "made" to accept a shoulder stock, requires a lot of extra machining to:  cut the frame, drill the frame, install extra large mounting screws, etc.  Time & tooling cost $$$, and without selling shoulder stocks to go with them, all of that effort is literally "worth less".

They are out there .

BUT they ant cheap ! 

I have owned several guns with shoulder stocks from the factory. 

The cool factor where's off fast.

You never use them .

And they take up a lot of valuable space in the gun safe.

I have sold all of them .

Archived