SASS Wire Forum

pic request - jogging stroller cart conversion with rifle/sxs muzzle up orientation?

heckofagator

Has anyone taking a jogging stroller and converted it to a cart that keeps rifles and sxs shotguns in the muzzle up position?

If so, could you share pics or firearm attachments hardware details?  Ideally, I'd like something that can store firearms both muzzle up and muzzle down, depending on the sport of choice that day, but the muzzle up variation seems to be more difficult to do.

Yes, I used those automotive gun magnets screwed into the forward plastic crosspiece. they hold the long guns securely over rough terrain.

8VBLIWk.jpg

8VBLIWk.jpg

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

Yes, I used those automotive gun magnets screwed into the forward plastic crosspiece. they hold the long guns securely over rough terrain.

8VBLIWk.jpg

8VBLIWk.jpg

were you able to cover the screw heads so they don't mar the barrel finish?

I like this idea, but I think I'll use GM VHB tape instead of screws if I go this route.

The other one I built holds 3 long guns....I practically break my neck when I pass one on the side of the road, have to keep myself from stopping

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

18 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

8VBLIWk.jpg

8VBLIWk.jpg

That’s a neat design.  I also used magnets to secure the barrel on my current stroller cart.  I mounted a horizontal wooden piece to the cart handle.  I have two flat magnets for my double and for octagonal barrels, and two V shaped magnets for round barrels.

I don’t have any good photos but will try to take some.

38 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

The butts sit nicely on the bottom and barrells are held to the frame by leather straps that tie.

Basket in front section of the bottom hold the ammo.

You can build some awesome things if you work in wood.

Never mind I’m not going to go there :lol:

18 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

were you able to cover the screw heads so they don't mar the barrel finish?

I like this idea, but I think I'll use GM VHB tape instead of screws if I go this route.

As this is a prototype, I used electrical tape temporarily. I may just put some silicon caulk over the heads if this location continues to work.

3 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

The other one I built holds 3 long guns....I practically break my neck when I pass one on the side of the road, have to keep myself from stopping

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

I have looked at those same bins/boxes at Hobby Lobby!

I used the red one for several years.  The top compartment was used for ammo.  The drawers and bottom compartment for stuff.  The big disadvantage was it does not fold. I drive a minivan and it worked great.  I could load it by myself with everything on board.

Chancy

IMG_5731.JPG

IMG_5732.JPG

IMG_5727.JPG

34 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

Seems to be the common idea here is to take it down to the frame and them build back up.  Seems the existing material is getting on the way of these sitting upright?

Yep and one thing I found out the hard way, don’t put too much weight over the front wheel it gets tippy 

Just finished my little conversion last night:D , The wooden part is drop in so in can be disassembled and cart folded for transport.

cart2.jpg

cart 1.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dakota Brown said:

Just finished my little conversion last night:D , The wooden part is drop in so in can be disassembled and cart folded for transport.

cart2.jpg

cart 1.jpg

Very similar to how I did my first gun cart. Made it modular so that it was easier to load and would fit under my bed cover.

1 hour ago, heckofagator said:

Seems to be the common idea here is to take it down to the frame and them build back up.  Seems the existing material is getting on the way of these sitting upright?

Most (not all) need the piece the child sits in removed...

Yes, I removed the seat. I keep my ammo boxes in the bottom and they keep the butts from sliding around. Keep your center of gravity as low as possible. I put the rain cover back on so if it does rain, I can keep the guns a little dryer. I am planning on changing stuff as I go, so this is kind of the Mark 2 version. I figure around Mark 5 I will feel satisfied.

Hmm, this pic didn't post yesterday. This is the side view.

3QD6ufy.jpg

Noob question here:

I see the "standard" is long guns muzzle up and hand guns muzzle down on y'all's carts.  Is that the SASS rule?  Or is it more ergonomic when transporting?

On 4/13/2021 at 5:58 PM, DeaconKC said:

Hmm, this pic didn't post yesterday. This is the side view.

3QD6ufy.jpg

Please don't overlook the part where the long guns must be transported OPEN AND EMPTY.

8 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Please don't overlook the part where the long guns must be transported OPEN AND EMPTY.

Absolutely! This pic was taken in my garage just to show the magnets. Thanks for pointing that out.

This jogger was $20 and the rest was cobbled from scrap wood and leather. The frame holds 4 long guns and is connected to the chassis with bolts drilled with a small hole and quick release pins lock it in place. I used two bolts on top and one on the bottom. The removable tray is wood with leather sides and holds ammo. The cooler box also comes off and the cart folds down. This will fit in a subcompact car trunk with your gun bags, chairs, etc. The large wheels will roll over anything. I attach canvas bags to the handle for empties. I no longer disassemble this since we got a truck and bungee it in the bed. The cowhide top board has holes for the barrels and the bottom board has small wooden blocks to keep the butts separated. I've toyed with the idea of a redesign for aesthetic purposes, but haven't got around to it. I may drill a hole or two for squib rods.

IMG_20210414_141019453.jpg

IMG_20210414_141006803.jpg

IMG_20210414_140950641.jpg

IMG_20210414_140923376.jpg

12 hours ago, Joeronimo Caffiend said:

I see the "standard" is long guns muzzle up and hand guns muzzle down on y'all's carts.  Is that the SASS rule?  Or is it more ergonomic when transporting?

SASS rules are silent on cart design, apart from the rule cited in another comment that long guns be open and empty while being transported at a match.

Some local clubs reportedly require carts be muzzles up but not in my area.

The first commercially made guncarts were muzzle down.  That appears to be the norm in sporting clays and Three Gun.  

Muzzles down is the custom in cowboy.  We typically carry the long guns muzzle up when moving about so keeping them that way in the cart makes it less likely you will sweep someone.

We’ve had folks show up with muzzle down carts; we usually encourage them to park the cart facing a side berm where no one will be in front of the muzzles as the long guns are removed or replaced.

Pistols?  I don’t put mine in the cart but having them “racked” in the same orientation as the holsters makes sense.

On 4/13/2021 at 7:37 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

The butts sit nicely on the bottom and barrells are held to the frame by leather straps that tie.

Basket in front section of the bottom hold the ammo.

You can build some awesome things if you work in wood.

0117212110a.jpg

0117212108a.jpg

I'm suprised you eagle-eyed gents didn't comment on my 'pistol rack'!!!

Yup...the rack with Seals on it!!

I got the stroller from Lill Migill at CAC...and the real pistol rack was too long to fit.

But I did have this kids puzzle in the RV toy bin...and the babies never played with it...soooo...

I knocked out the center seals, and pistols fit nicely!@!

It is a baby stroller, after all.

missed the puzzle - need a better photo or guns in to recognize , but i like your innovation , id probably get my A$$ chewed if i touched the toy box tho , the grandkids here are fairly sacred .....at least they pick up after themselves , 

Mine - This can be folded easily - The bottom piece is screwed in with two phillips head screws and I keep the screw driver in the compartment at the handle

20200309_112353.jpg

Archived